Smooth Round Moderate vs. Smooth Round Moderate Plus

At my consult last year, I chose to get silicone implants placed under the muscle, incision in the crease, but still not too sure yet of profile shape. What are the differences in final look and results between smooth round moderate and smooth round moderate plus? I want 500cc but i've read that under the muscle placement somewhat "flattens out" implants; because of this reason would it be best to choose 550cc so that the final result will look like a 500cc? Thank you in advance.

Moderate versus Moderate Plus Implants: Whats the difference ?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello and thank you for the question.

In general when comparing a moderate and moderate plus implants, volume per volume, the moderate plus implant will offer slightly greater projection than will the moderate implant, which alternately, offers greater width. The premise that a sub-muscular implant placement will give you a "flatter" look is pure fallacy. As my colleague was suggesting, if done properly, the sub-muscular pocket will accommodate your implant perfectly with no compromise in projection. In my practice, the Mentor Moderate Plus Profile implant is the preferred choice, with the exception of women with narrow chests that are better suited for high-profile implants.

Warmest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Difference between moderate and moderate plus

The difference is not much.  It is actually a few millimeters in projection.  If you are looking for a fuller look, then go with moderate plus or high profile.  If you are looking to stay more conservative, then a moderate plus or moderate may do the trick. I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients: 1.Dimensional planning 2.Gel Implant Sizing system Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with. Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and we can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  Hope this helps.

I agree with the volume but I prefer HP. So I guess I added more issues. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Moderate versus Moderate Plus Profile Saline Filled Mammary Prosthesis

Under the muscle placement will procduce a loss of implant projection comparable to losing 10-15% of the volume of the sizer placed over the breast when sizing preoperatively. I prefer the moderate plus for increased projection and less rippling.

Implant choices

Implant options today are much better than they were years ago.  As for the  moderate plus vs moderate the main difference is that for the same volume, the moderate plus are narrower and have more projection.

"Flatten Out" of Implant Under Muscle Just A Myth

One of the great myths out there is that the muscle will flatten theimplants and make it appear smaller when underneath the muscle.  This is just a myth.  When done correctly, the muscle should stretch just like the skin, and therefore be just as loose and soft.  If it wasn't, the implant would be tight and feel firmer.  If it is nice and soft, and sits in the appropriate space, then in should be the exact same size as over the muscle.  With regards to the type of implant, I use the moderate plus implant 80% of the time.  I think it does a better job of giving women both the size and the projection.  For the same width, the moderate give you 1.5cm less projection. It doesn't sound like a lot, but if you had a 500cc moderate on one side and a 500cc moderate plus on the other, ytou would be able to tell.  In your case, i wouldgo with the 500cc moderate plus implant.  I hope this helps.

Mentor Moderate vs Moderate Plus Breast Augmentation

There are quite a few differences in the implants.  Ideally you want a breast implant that fits your natural tissue pocket.  That the major difference between moderate, moderate plus and high profile implants.  The plus and high profile implants have  smaller diameter base but more projection.  If you have a very slight frame then the moderate plus and high profile tend to give a nicer result without rubbing on you arms or getting too close to the midline.

Generally I have my patients pick a volume based on cup size, then I will pick the diameter based on their breast and chest measurements.  That gives the most natural look with the least complicationds.

Leonard Harris, MD
Burlington Plastic Surgeon

Difference between Moderate and Moderate Profile Plus

I agree that there is minimal difference.  There is slightly more projection with the Moderate Profile Plus.  Also, a 50 cc difference is not much.  It is best to go over the different options with your surgeon so that you are well informed before surgery and to make sure the surgeon understands your expectations and concerns.  

Good Luck.

What are the differences in final look and results between smooth round moderate and smooth round moderate plus?

Regarding: "Smooth Round Moderate vs. Smooth Round Moderate Plus
At my consult last year, I chose to get silicone implants placed under the muscle, incision in the crease, but still not too sure yet of profile shape. What are the differences in final look and results between smooth round moderate and smooth round moderate plus? I want 500cc but i've read that under the muscle placement somewhat "flattens out" implants; because of this reason would it be best to choose 550cc so that the final result will look like a 500cc? Thank you in advance
."

I agree with Dr. Rand's point of view. While I applaud your dedication to educating yourself on all the details of your surgery, I respectfully, think you are getting hung up on unimportant details when looking at implant nomenclature.

When implants were introduced, they dd not come in the 3 sets of Low Profile, Moderate Profile and High Profile. These came in spurts years later more out of competition between the 2 leading Breast Implant companies Mentor (formerly Heyer-Schulte) and Natrelle (formerly Allergan, formerly Inamed, formerly McGhan). Mentor introduced its SALINE Moderate Profile PLUS (series 2000) implants years after Inamed was beating it by sales of its Moderate Profile saline implants. Both companies now sell silicone implants in round, smooth shell which are low profile, Moderate Profile and High profiles. But, the MP+ implants is a Mentor saline implant. Be also advised that the Mentor high profile gel implants are much closer to its MP+ saline implants in appearance than the much more projecting saline high profile implants.

For this reason you will be best served by seeing a Plastic surgeon who can SHOW YOU what you may look like with a VIRTUAL Breast Augmentation using Canfield's Vectra X3 digital camera (Google it). It is an expensive tool and most surgeons do not have it. Another way, is to show your surgeon what you may be looking for and have him help you pick the implants for you.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Moderate and moderate plus breast implants

There is barely any difference between these two profiles, just a little more upper inner pole fullness in the mod + version.  And at 500 cc range, the differences are very small.  Let your doctor help you with this choice, after all they are the expert, and see what the results look like every day.  Just make sure they understand the "look" you want and don't get hung up on cc's or cup size.