I'm exactly 4 weeks post Coolsculpting, weigh more and look worse! What can I do?

I'm exactly 4 weeks post Coolsculpting. I had the large device on my lower ab, 2 smaller on upper ab, and smaller on each side. I've maintained a healthy diet, exercise more, drink lots of water. Last week I went for my follow up and pictures were taken for comparison, i think the before pics are better. I weigh more now, look much larger. I was told that it takes longer for people of Asian ethneticity to lose the fat ~ seriously? Was told to come back in 100 days for my next follow up.

I'm exactly 4 weeks post Coolsculpting, weigh more and look worse!

Thanks for your question. Coolsculpting has some swelling, tenderness and bruising that patients can expect in the first couple of weeks. It is not connected to any weight gain. I would discuss this with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. 

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and Weight Gain

Coolsculpting is not associated with weight gain in the area treated.  Have you gone on the scale to see if you did indeed gain weight? I would definitely consult a board certified dermatologist with expertise with Coolsculpting for the best cosmetic results.

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
Pictures are necessary to help you
When the fat cells expand, it is typically not associated with weight gain

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Weight gain after Coolsculpting

You will not see any difference from your Coolsculpting procedure if you do not go back down to your treatment weight.  You need to first lose the weight, then compare before and after photos.
My best,
Sheila Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

3 months until final results after CoolSculpting

Stick in there!  Though most patients don't have much residual swelling 4 weeks after the procedure, it takes about 12 weeks to get the "final result" after CoolSculpting.  In one of the largest studies done on CoolSculpting, patients had an average decrease of about 23% in fat thickness as measured by calipers. Be patient, and keep that 100-day follow-up appointment!

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

4 weeks after Coolsculpting

I know it's easy to say and hard to do but, try not to worry.   4 weeks is still very early in the process.  Try to maintain your normal diet and exercise regimen and follow up with your provider at 3 months post procedure for re-evaluation.  We recommend 2 treatments for patients, so it is quite likely that you too may require a second treatment for optimal results. Don't base your judgment of final results on what you are seeing currently.  Hang in there. 

Grant Stevens, MD

When to expect CoolSculpting results

The results for CoolSculpting can be seen as early as 3 weeks, however full results are seen at 3 months.   Generally speaking the swelling will last for 2 to 3 weeks, however the numbness can persist up to several weeks. It is not unusual for a patient to have swelling in the abdominal area following CoolSculpting making the area appear larger following the procedure.  My suggestion to my patients is to wear a compression garment to assist with the swelling and discomfort post CoolSculpting procedure.  I would suggest a follow-up with the physician who performed the procedure at 12 weeks post treatment as per the recommended protocol with Zeltiq. 

Coolsculpting Results 12 Weeks

At 4 weeks after your Coolsculpting treatments most of the swelling will be gone and you will start noticing a gradual reduction.  It takes 12 weeks for full completion for the full result. I would continue what you are doing and have a follow up at the 12 week mark as is the protocol with the Zeltiq company makers of Coolsculpting.
Best.

Tina Venetos, MD
Lake Forest Dermatologist