Difference between Alloderm and Strattice?

Hello. So, I'm in need of a breast aug revision for reoccurring CC and bottoming out. I don't want pig tissue, so I've requested Alloderm. I've been told that Strattice is used more bc it's stronger... but I seriously do not want pork blended with my tissue. Do you have a preference over the other, and why? Thx!

Cosmetic Applications: Strattice vs. Alloderm

The main difference between these two products as you have already noted is in the origin: porcine vs. human cadaveric. They are both produced by the same manufacturers and work in a similar fashion. The primary reason Strattic has become the go-to product for revisionary cosmetic procedures is that of cost. Strattice is less costly than Alloderm. In the comsetic setting, where insurance is not involved and the patient bears the brunt of cost, Strattice is the more economical choice.

Ultimately, both are safe and effective options for the treatment of "bottoming out." If the idea of using a product of porcine origin is of concern there are a number of other ADM options available from other manufacturers which may offer some cost savings over Alloderm. Alternatively, you could choose to pay for the additional cost of Alloderm.

As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Kissimmee Plastic Surgeon

The issue is cost ADM

Hi Pura,

As you may know,  LifeCell manufacturers both Strattice, which you correctly identify is a porcine (pig)  product,  and AlloDerm is human cadaver skin.  In general,  the Strattice is more uniformly made than  the AlloDerm and it usually is a bit thicker.  In cosmetic cases the costs are completely born by you.  Your surgeon is trying to save you money because the lLifeCell company will give you 2 pieces of the Strattice, one for each breast, for the cost of 1.  Therefore, you save half to cost. They  do not make this offer with AlloDerm.  Therefore, you save a substantial amount of money to use the Strattice.  Your surgeon could however use AlloDerm if this is what you choose and he can tell you the difference in cost but I would estimate that will be double the cost of the material.  Hope this is helpful to you.

Alfonso Oliva, MD, FACS
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Alloderm/Strattice/ ADM's

Alloderm and Strattice are both types of Acellular Dermal Matrices (ADM's) which are commonly used in breast augmentation or reconstructive surgery. They essentially do the same job by trying to prevent bottoming out, and use can be based on patient preference, cost and availability. They are not the only versions out there though and there are other ADM's to choose from. DermACELL is an alternative to Alloderm as it is a decellularized regenerative human tissue matrix which is becoming more popular in use within the plastic surgery world. Others include FlexHD or DemaMatrix. If your heart is set on not having "pig tissue", you should look into the other types of cadaveric ADM's that are available.

Ben Brown, MD
Pensacola Plastic Surgeon

Strattice and Alloderm are both great products

Both Strattice and Alloderm are great products. The strattice is a little more firm but sometimes that is desirable in trying to maintain the position of the implant and revise a pocket. I use it in the cosmetic setting for what you are describing b/c of its strength and b/c it is less expensive. In the process of treating the pig skin all protein is removed so that your body doesn't "reject" it. Basically it is a sterile scaffolding or matrix that your body infiltrates with your own blood vessels and building blocks. That said, if your more comfortable with Alloderm then I would use that. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Alloderm vs. Strattice

There are a variety of different products that we call ADMs (acellular dermal matrix).  Alloderm and Strattice are made by the same manufacturer.  They are both quality products that can effectively be used to treat capsular contracture or bottoming out.  The cellular components are removed from the tissue and both of them provide a fibrous structure that can be used for reconstruction.  Alloderm stretches more easily than Strattice, but either one can be effective with your problem.  The other issue that comes up is cost.  Alloderm is significantly more expensive to use in cosmetic surgery.  I think that both products are safe and effective.  I would not be afraid to use Strattice, but in my practice I use Alloderm much more frequently.

Kenton Schoonover, MD
Wichita Plastic Surgeon