Can I fly on an international flight the day after CoolSculpting and is the procedure safe for the back fat area?

I'm at a wellness resort in SE Asia for a few weeks and returning to Australia. I had Vanquish in my first week and have big, hard lumps in my abdomen, red angry patches of skin and quite a bit of pain. Now they are offering cool sculpting but I'm worried about going ahead especially if we can't refer back to the treating doctor because we will be in another country.

Coolsculpting and flying

In capable hands the procedure you are describing and flying is quite fine. However, due to the current side effects you are expereuncing from Vanquish I would not encourage you to do the procedure. Please consult a board certified dermatologist who has expertise with coolsculpting when you return home. Best, Dr. Green

Flying after CS

It is absolutely safe to fly or do anything else after Coolsculpting.  There is literally no downtime. 
Have fun!
Sheila Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Flying after Cool Sculpting

I inform my patients that it is fine to fly after a Cool Sculpting treatment, but with the other conditions you have going on it would be advisable to wait until you return home and see a board certified doctor that has experience with Cool Sculpting.  

Flying after coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is a non-invasive procedure so flying a day or so after is not a problem at all.  However, as you've already had some concerning side effects with Vanquish it's best to check with your provider.

Dominic Castellano, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Flying after Coolsculpting

It should be fine to fly after Coolsculpting. Also, it is great for back fat as long as the area can be pinched and has the ability to be pulled into the applicator's head. It is a fairly easy procedure with few side effects.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Ok to fly

There are no flying restrictions following your Coolsculpting treatment.  Its best to talk to you plastic surgeon.

Coolsculpting and Flying

there is no flying restrictions after coolsculpting however, you may have pain, swelling and bruising.  I suggest speaking to your physician.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
You are fine to fly after coolsculpting.
But if concerned, just wait until after you return.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Flying after CoolSculpting

I would be perfectly safe to fly the day after a CoolSculpting treatment and the procedure is commonly used and safe to treat back fat.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is "wellness resort" code for surgical tourism?

If you have hard lumps and angry red patches of skin, undergoing Coolsculpting is NOT recommended. This could lead to skin loss, permanent scarring, and compounding the problems you already have. (Even if they offer the second treatment for "free.")

You already have had (too much) RF energy delivered to the skin to create hard lumps (scar and/or edema), as well as enough to the skin to create a first degree burn.

Freezing the tissues without first allowing everything to heal is a bit like using boiling water to treat frostbite--wrong and harmful, just in the opposite direction, as in freezing after "microwaving" the skin.

This has nothing to do with "referral back" to the treating doctor; this is simply bad advice. Just what kind of "doctor" is advocating this?

BTW, alone (without the previous problems), Coolsculpting would be fine for both  travel and treating this area of fat. But why would you consider following the recommendation of a practitioner whose "first choice" caused you the problems you describe, and then accept "second choice?"

Just say no, and wait till you're back home where you can see a real plastic surgeon. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon