Drop and Fluff

I am currently 5 weeks post op with 400 silicone HP implants. I've noticed that the size has gotten smaller due to the swelling reducing. I've lost about an inch overall in circumference and was wondering if they might get bigger once the implant fully drops into place. They look so much smaller than I had anticipated but I'm assuming it's because the muscle is still pressing against the implant...

Muscle stretching after breast augmentation

Over time the muscle will stretch allowing the implant to drop and increase anterior projection. After about 6 mos. the final appearance will be achieved. If you are still not satisfied, then you might consider a larger implant. Good luck!

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Wait 3-4 months before assessing results

When implants are first inserted, they sit high up because your tissues are tight and gravity hasn't taken effect. Over time, natural tissue expansion occurs to allow the implants to fall into place. By this time, your breasts will have taken on a more natural contour, where the lower breasts become softer and rounder. Please wait at least four months for this to happen.

Drop and Fluff after Breast Augmentation?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure.  No one will be able to predict exactly what cup size you will wear or whether the breast will look slightly smaller or slightly larger in the longer term. Variables involved include the presence of swelling currently and the disputed phenomenon called “dropping and fluffing” that occurs after several weeks. In my practice, I have seen this phenomenon occur; the breasts appear larger as the implants "settle". 

It may be helpful to you to know that many patients, shortly after breast augmentation surgery is performed, feel their breasts are “too small” or “too big”, only to be very pleased with the longer-term outcome of the procedure performed.

At this point, I would suggest continued patience and continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon.  Stay emotionally even keeled during the process of physical and psychological “adaptation” to the new body image that occurs for any patient undergoing body contouring surgery.

Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the longer-term outcome of the procedure performed.

Swelling after breast enlargement

There is always swelling after implant placement that will take at least 3-4 months to resolve and often as long as 6-7 months. I always tell my patients not to fall in love with the way they look immediately post-operatively because it will change. So try to be patient and wait for your size and shape to finalize. In the mean time you can talk with your surgeon about your concerns and he/she will be able to help you evaluate your swelling and discuss possible future revision. Good luck--it's hard to be patient!

Margaret Skiles, MD (retired)
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Implants and postoperative size.

The placement of large implants such as 400cc HP will require some time for tissue stretch to occur. The volume doesn't actually change over time, but the shape will. This change in shape often leads to more projection as the breast relaxes and gives the appearance of more volume. As with many surgeries, your final results will take several months before they become apparent.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant settling

It takes about 3-4 months for all the settling to occur after breast augmentation.  Try not to worry about size in the meantime.  Realize that with HP implants, if they fit your base dimension well, you have the biggest result your body will allow even if you had imagined a larger result. 

Do breasts look the same after dropping?

Two things happen and seem paradoxical. As as the swelling goes down there will be some shrinkage but at the same time as the muscle relaxes your breast projection grows. In general the breast shape and size proportionality improves..

Breast implants initially after surgery when placed in a submuscular position often give superior fullness that corrects itself with time, the "fluff and drop" phenomena. In reality the pectoralis major muscle takes a while to adjust its size to accommodate the implant as well as occasional muscle spasm which keeps the implant projection higher than its final resting shape. Additional variables include:laxity of skin, size difference during prior pregnancies, position of implant,size of muscle, and size of implant.
As the muscle relaxes the projection of the implant often increases and the breast shape improves. Massage and use of a superior placed elastic strap can often make this process go faster.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Drop and fluff after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.. Drop and fluff refers to post-operative period in which the breasts begin to descend and fills out the lower half of the breast. It may take several months for this to happen and can be encouraged with breast massage and compression. It may appear that the breast enlarges as the lower aspect of the breast fills out (at the expense of the upper portion of the breast)

When swelling resolves, make a decision.

The term “Drop and Fluff” appear to reference changes that occur in the breast following surgery.In the post-operative period, patients have soft tissue swelling and muscle spasm.These phenomena tend to displace the implants in a superior direction.When the swelling and spasm resolve, the implants “drop” into a normal position.
For this reason, we recommend that patients not make decisions regarding breast size until swelling and spasm have resolved.

Implants now smaller

This is normal.The amount of swelling will vary from one patient to the next.they should pretty much stay this way however they may fall down a little and will over time but I don't think they will get bigger.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon