Depression in Forehead, Shows from Front and Profile (Not a Wrinkle)?

I have a depression, or hollow indent, in the center of my forehead. It is between, but a bit above, my eye brows. It's not a wrinkle, and it is almost circular in's not cute, definitely makes me look older! What is this and how can I have it treated? It shows up the worst in photos, but I can see it face-on in the mirror, or even in profile. I would say this has developed within the last 12 months. 

Doctor Answers 7

Forehead depression diagnosis and treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It's important to try to work out what might have caused the depression, as if it has only developed in the last 12 months it may still be getting worse. Diagnosing the cause will help determine the appropriate treatment and also help to predict how long the result of any treatment will last. What you have described is not particularly common, which limits the reliability of any advice or suggestions that you can be given without a face-to-face consultation.

Indentations can definitely be augmented with a dermal filler or fat grafting. A dermal filler will give more predictable and reliable results than fat grafting for a localised indentation and is likely to be better for the problem you have described.

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Filler such as Perlane, Restylane, Juvaderm or Radiesse may correct the dimple. Subcision is another option.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Filler such as Perlane, Restylane, Juvaderm or Radiesse may correct the dimple if the skin is soft and pliable.  Subcision is another option for permanent correction of some dimples.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Forehead Depression

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A forehead depression may be treated for appropriate patients by augmenting for filling the depressed area. However, as other plastic surgeons have stated, first one must determine the cause or reason for the dimple. Speak with a dermatologist or plastic surgeon in your area. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki


12 Month History Depression in Forehead

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As others have emphasized the important first step is to diagnose the cause of your forehead depression. Treatment is is relatively straight-forward; the depression can be augmented with a filler or more permanently with fat.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 40 reviews

Forehead depressions can be treated with fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. I agree with the other physicians in that you need to see a physician, either a dermatologist or your primary care physician to get an evaluation and a diagnosis as to why you have this depression. If nothing is found and you need a cosmetic correction, I like Juvederm as a filler. It is quite easy to inject, tends to be very smooth, and can last up to a year. Good luck.

Photos that include you eyes in the picture would be helpful

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A localized form of Scleroderma may cause forehead depressions. I would recommend a consultation with a dermatologist.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Filler treatment for indentations

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without pictures or seeing you in person, it is impossible to give you specific advice.  However, if you have an indentation, then a dermal filler such as Juvederm may be helpful to smooth out the area.


Good Luck.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.