Does coughing during Coolsculpting (causing skin fold in applicator to retract) affect treatment results?

I scheduled a Coolsculpting treatment for my abdomen but got sick the week before the appt. During the time that the applicator was on my abdomen, I coughed hard a few times. Each time I coughed, the skin fold in the applicator retracted and then was sucked back into the applicator. The applicator itself didn't come off, but I clearly disrupted the tissues being treated and contact with the cooling plates was momentarily reduced with each cough. Will this affect my treatment results?

Coolsculpting and coughing

CoolSculpting is a great procedure for the abdomen, flanks, thighs, and other bulges that diet and exercise does not help.  As long as the seal was not broken during the treatment (an alarm would be triggered in the machine), then the treatment would still be effective.  

No harm done

That is a great question. Coughing during a CoolSculpting procedure can feel uncomfortable for a moment because of the temporary shift but rest assured the system is made to provide continuous suction. If for any reason an applicator comes off or loses suction, the system is made to alert your provider in order to re-apply. This is very rare and has never happened in my practice. This temporary discomfort from coughing will not affect your results.

It's very important to go to a top CoolSculpting Complete provider. Top providers are able to offer buy one area, get a second area free.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Coughing During Sacramento CoolSculpting - Problem?

I understand the concern about coughing during a CoolSculpting session. As long as the seal is not broken, known as a pop-off, coughing during the treatment will not affect your overall result.

Thomas E. Kaniff, MD, FACS
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coughing during CoolSculpting treatment

Coughing during a CoolSculpting treatment to the abdomen can sometimes cause a little discomfort but it should not affect your ultimate results.  Laughing during the treatment can also cause the same discomfort but should not affect results.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon