I had cosmelan for the first time on Feb 16 2014. Can I use the hydroquinine while on cosmelan?

Cosmelan and Hydroquinone

There are two different types of Cosmelan products.  One type is with hydroquinone and the other is formulated without hydroquinone.  Cosmelan MD which is the product that I use is compounded with hydroquinone and requires no additional hydroquinone during the initial mask.  After the treatment there are additional products, some with hydroquinones and other with Vitamin K that are applied at home to ensure the best treatment results.  Cosmelan is a fabulous treatment and I fully recommend it.

Cosmelan and Hydroquinone

There are two types of Cosmelan, they both includes 15 lightening agents like Kojic Acid, Azelaic Acid, Phytic Acid and Salicylic Acid but Cosmelan is non hydroquinone and Cosmelan MD has the addition of hydroquinone and Retin-A.

The product Cosmelan is a product from Spain, Cosmelan MD takes the original Cosmelan product and compounds it with Hydroquinone and Retin-A in the US. If you are using Cosmelan then yes, you can use it with Hydroquinone. If you are using Cosmelan MD then the Hydroquinone is already mixed into your product.

Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see what is best for your skin type.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Hydroquinone and Cosmelan

Cosmelan has hydroquinone in it. It is compounded in with it so there is no need to use an additional, separate hydroquinone product while you are completing your Cosmelan process.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."