Corrective Surgery for Unhappy Breast Reduction - Will I Have to Pay?

I had breast reduction surgery a few months ago & I am very unhappy with the results. I have a lot left over in my bra-line area, & I can not wear a regular bra, & only certain types of sports or compression bras. It looks so bad that I am severely depressed & am extremely remorseful about having surgery to begin with. My insurance denied paying to correct it, & I am so embarrassed about the way I look & I refuse to see the surgeon who performed the surgery. Will I have to pay to correct it?

Doctor Answers 10

Breast Revision after Reduction Not Usually Covered By Insurance

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Insurance Rarely Covers Breast Reduction Revision
Insurance companies in general are only concerned about solving functional problems (e.g back or breast pain, inability to wear clothes or exercise, etc). They are not concerned about cosmetic appearance and it his highly unlikely that they will cover any revisions for this purpose. I would return to your original surgeon who will likely discount his services if this was related to his surgery unless you have lost confidence in your treatment. If so see a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in breast revision surgery.

Unhappy after Breast Reduction Surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question.

Assuming your original surgeon is a well experienced board certified plastic surgeon,  I would suggest that you continue to follow-up with him/her  and calmly ( and in a non-accusatory fashion) communicate your concerns and goals. Most plastic surgeons are very eager to keep their patients as happy as possible. Persistence with your insurance company may be helpful as well.

Best wishes.

Breast reduction correction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Usually, if an insurance company pays for a surgery, it will pay for a subsequent corrective procedure. If your insurer denied the revision, then you should appeal the decision. I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the results of your reduction. Without a photograph, it's impossible to comment on your dissatisfaction and provide recommendations for correction but you should certainly see another plastic surgeon if you no longer have confidence in the doctor who performed the operation.

Need breast reduction revision - who pays?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As insurance often pays for the initial procedure, it is possible that hte insurance plan may pay for a revision. You need to have a discussion with yoru surgeon as to why you are unhappy, what can be done, if anything to remedy the situation and who is to pay for it.

Mark D. Epstein, MD
Stony Brook Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 244 reviews

Talk to your surgeon when unhappy with results

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Most insurance companies will not pay for revisions after breast reductions because they veiw it as aesthetic. Most surgeons have policies regarding revision surgery and I would start by bringing your concerns up with your original surgeon.

Lawrence Iteld, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 48 reviews

Unhappy post-op breast reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Each doctor's office has a different policy regarding revison surgery or additional surgery after a breast reduction.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Everyone performs revisions

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would suggest strongly that you go back to your original surgeon and discuss your concerns. I know of no plastic surgeons who do not want to make their patients happy. Most plastic surgeons will not charge their own patients for revisions. Unfortunately, complications occur in any practice, and all plastic surgeons perform occasional revision procedures.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

Dissatisfied with breast reduction.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It really would be best for you to speak with the original surgeon whom I am sure would want you to have a satisfactory outcome. He/she will likely work with you to determine a reasonable resolution to your concerns.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 86 reviews

Corrective Surgery for Unhappy Breast Reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Sorry for your disappointment. Your surgeon would be the best person to guide you further as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.  You may need to pay a portion of the costs, but that would be less than if another surgeon picks up the case from here.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS
West Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

See Your Original Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Although you may be unhappy with your surgeon, I suggest you see them again and discuss your results with them. A reputable surgeon will make an earnest effort to try to resolve your concerns. However, please note that you may or may not have to pay for corrective surgery, as payment terms are different for each surgeon.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.