Would Cool Sculpting Help After a C-section?

CoolSculpting Areas

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes, Coolsculpting will work to reduce unwanted fat. We generally recommend waiting one-year post C-section before doing Coolsculpting in the area. However, you can treat other areas without a problem in the meantime. The main reason to wait one year is to allow proper healing of C-section scar.

Pleasanton Physician

CoolSculpting after C-section

In my experience, CoolSculpting cannot effectively flatten out the Post-Baby Pooch that is often accentuated by the c-section scar, which pulls the skin inward. I have found significant improvement non-surgically by injecting fat-destroying medications into the fat above the scar, very precisely, with a procedure called Mesotherapy-- consider it  "Kybella for the body." It requires weeks to months to gradually see results, but other non-surgical fat treatment options like CoolSculpting or SculpSure also require months of patience to achieve results. No anesthesia is required, and you can return to work right after the treatment, saving time and money. 

For immediate improvement, I use VASER Liposuction, which employs ultrasonic energy to emulsify ("melt") the fat trapped above the scarred C-section area and break up the underlying scar tissue, to make fat removal or smoothing out more effective and even. I use the heat generated by VASER to heat up the overlying skin to above 43 degrees Centigrade, stimulating more collagen tightening than tumescent liposuction alone. This office procedure is done safely using mild sedation and local anesthesia. Some patients return to work the next day.

These techniques that I have explained can also be used to correct irregularities that sometimes occur with CoolSculpting itself, with no general anesthesia, which reduces risks and costs.

Raul P. Rodriguez, MD
Houston Physician

The “overhang” or pouch present just above the pubic area is a very common problem area seen after C-section surgery.

Tummy tuck surgery is routinely and safely done after C-section surgery. Most well experienced plastic surgeons are able to deal with the scar tissue that remains after C-section surgery. The result is a much smoother transition between the lower abdominal wall and the pubic area. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is medically/psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable,  has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her,  does not smoke, is capable of arranging enough recovery time and who has reached a long-term stable weight.  I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

CoolSculpting after C-section Mommy makeover

CoolSculpting works on depots of extra stored fat above the muscle wall. The abdomen is puffy for a whle after a C section and if the bulge is more related to the muscle protrusion or fat behind the muscle wall, the Zeltiq's CoolSculpting will not help. If there is fat above the muscle and underneath the skin, then CoolSculpting would possibly be a good treatment, when your surgeon states that you have healed strong enough to undergo the suction of CoolSculpting.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Best to first undergo a comprehensive cosmetic consultation

Hi aboger07,

CoolSculpting® is an option for patients looking to reduce the fat of isolated areas like the lower abdomen; however, it is most effective for those patients with small areas of excess fat.  Additionally, many women who suffer from loose skin creating a “pooch” appearance on the lower abdomen after having a baby may be in need of tummy tuck surgery to remove excess skin and tighten muscles that can be stretched during pregnancy.  It is best to first undergo a comprehensive cosmetic consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who also offers CoolSculpting®  to assess your needs and which treatments will most effectively address them.

C. Edwin Pittman, MD
Athens Plastic Surgeon

Should Rethink Coolscultping After a C-Section

Coolsculpting does an amazing job of removing fat cells from the body, without surgery.  One of the drawbacks to Coolsculpting, though, since it is non-invasive, is the loose skin that may appear after the fat cells are removed.  The Coolsculting procedure does not address this.  In my practice, I generally tell patients who want to lose greater than 15lbs, other options such as Liposuction (which is invasive and can address the loose, lax resulting skin) may work best.  

After pregnancy and a C-Section, your probably are dealing with extra, saggy skin right now, before you have any procedures.  Once the fatty tissue is removed, you will be dealing with more of this loose, hanging skin.  While Coolscultping is perfect for the amount of fat you are dealing with, I think a Liposuction would better address both the weight loss you desire and the body sculpting that will then be required to get back your 'pre-baby body'.  I also do not suggest Coolsculpting over a surgical area, such as where you had your C-Section. 

My office provides a complementary consultation for patients interested in either Coolsculpting or Liposuction.  This is the time that we can decide which procedure, or combination of procedures, will work best, with your body, to achieve your desired results.  Mention you are a RealSelf patient, and receive a discount on your procedure. 

When to Get CoolSculpting

CoolSculpting is not a weight loss solution for people who are obese, or a substitute for surgical methods such as liposuction. Good candidates have noticeable bulges in certain areas they’d like to get rid of. Your doctor will determine if treatment is right for you during a one-on-one consultation.

Coolsculpting after C-section

Coolsculpting should ideally not be done directly over a prior surgical site (especially recent) . And should be avoided whenever possible. The best places for coolsculpting are the lower abdomen , flanks and bra fat areas. It is an excellent procedure when used in the proper area on the proper patient.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting after a C-Section

This could possibly be a great procedure depending on how long ago surgery was, the degree of scarring, the muscle tone in the area and very importantly the quality of skin. If muscle separation rather than excess fat is creating a bulge, CoolSculpting will not make an improvement. Likewise, if a concern is loose skin, CoolSculpting is not the answer. But, there are some women who have minimal muscle separation and good skin tone after a C-section. Only a consultation would give you the best information.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon