Is CoolSculpting safe for patients that had breast cancer and 30% of positive lymph nodes? Will the fat feed the cancer cells?

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
I operate on a lot of breast cancer patients and also do fat grafting on them
this is safe

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

CoolSculpting candidate?

Thank you for your question. You should be ok to proceed with a CoolSculpting treatment. It is important to be assessed in person by a medical professional to see if you are a candidate. 

Sincerely Yours, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Cancer and Coolsculpting

So sorry you had to go through cancer therapy and I hope you are in full remission!  
Once you are in remission, it is safe to have Coolsculpting performed.  In fact, I encourage any safe and effective treatment that will make you feel more confident!
My best,
Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

There is no evidence to support the conclusion of your question.

Coolsculpting and the fat contents (cholesterol, free fatty acids, and triglycerides) are already within your bloodstream and in you.  In fact we do Coolsculpting on some of my breast reconstructions for breast cancer patients.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Breast cancer is not a contraindication to coolsculpting.

If you are in the middle of chemotherapy or radiotherapy, it is important to check with your oncologist before doing any cosmetic procedure.  Also, if you have had any complications from surgery, such as lymphedema after the removal of lymphnodes, you may not be able to treat the affected area like the arm.  If you had a muscle and/or skin flap rotated from the abdomen or back to reconstruct your breasts after mastectomy, it is probably also wise to stay away from those scars.  However, if you've finished treatment without complications or residual scars or laboratory abnormalities, you can go ahead and have coolsculpting.  The damaged fat cells do not stimulate cancer.  And as a breast cancer survivor myself (stage 2B ductal treated with lumpectomy, radiation and chemotherapy 2008), I know how important it is to feel like yourself again.  It can also be harder to lose weight in new areas like the flanks or belly after chemotherapy induced menopause so it is great to have a kick start with a noninvasive procedure.  Seek out a physician who does dualsculpting (2 coolsculpting machines attached at once reduces the treatment time by half) and uses the Zimmer Zwave to break up the frozen fat (reduces post treatment discomfort and swelling and improves results).

Heidi A. Waldorf, MD