Is this capsular contracture again? 8 months post op revision.

I'm 8 months post op after having a revision due to severe cc (full bilateral capsule removal and lollipop lift due to sagging after breastfeeding). Implants moved from above to below muscle. Surgery results are great, but I'm worried about cc returning. Left breast has always been slightly higher, have noticed it is slightly firmer, is this my muscle tightening? In certain postures my implants feel firm but when I relax my muscle they go very soft. Is this cc? I thought my muscle would relax by now.

Diagnosis of capsular contracture from a photo is challenging.

After already undergoing revision surgery once for severe capsular contracture, of course you’re worried about having to go through that again! Although it’s hard to tell from a photo whether your CC has returned, there are a few things that you can keep in mind. First, the development of a scar tissue capsule around the implant is completely normal. If there’s some mild firmness, that may be what you feel. What’s not normal is having so much scar tissue that your breast feels rigid or painful, or your implant looks displaced. There are four grades of capsular contracture, and only the severest forms require surgery. Do follow up with your surgeon if you have any concerns.

Capsular contraction

It is difficult to say whether or not you have a capsular contracture without performing a physical exam.

Capsular contracture surgery and examination

It is difficult to tell whether the issue is related to normal breast changes or capsular contracture. Our office specializes in capsular contracture surgery and a first step would be to obtain an examination and measure tensimetry. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS