What Do You Call the Marking Lines Drawn on the Face in Preparation for Radiesse Injections for Cheek Augmentation?

Doctor Answers 10

Thanks for your question on Radiesse

Dear Donnasac,

The goal of the Radiesse is to provide volumization and rejuvenation, and while these two issues are closely related, they sometimes evolve in different ways as you are injecting.  Because of this, I feel that the initial markings are not as crucial as is re-evaluation of the overall aesthetic as Radiesse is injected.  Early on, I did mark patients prior to injection, but at this stage, I find markings get in the way of subtle but crucial rejuvenative changes as I inject. 

Having said that, commonly marked areas are the malar mound (cheek fat over side facial bone), nasolabial fold barriers (border between middle part of cheek and lips, also called the "parentheses" of the face), marionette line barriers (prejowl area in lower face), and temporal areas (hollows in front of side hairline).  The markings help define specific aesthetic subunits of the face.  


Thanks again for your question.  Hope this helps.



Vero Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Markings for cheek filler

Filling cheeks is based on the individual, but the common areas are the submalar and malar (and the area between the two fat pads that tends to separate as we age), as well as the more lateral zygomal area. Tear troughs can be filled, as well, but for that I do not recommend Radiesse.

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
3.7 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

What Do You Call the Marking Lines Drawn on the Face in Preparation for Radiesse?

I don't know of a specific term for these lines...and not everyone uses them.  What is important is visualizing and agreeing on the areas to be treated.  The doctor can draw on you to show you (or him/her) exactly where to inject, or it can be described by either one of you and then agreed upon.  In the end, it's not the drawing that matters but the injecting...

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 125 reviews

What Do You Call the Marking Lines Drawn on the Face in Preparation for Radiesse Injections for Cheek Augmentation?

    These lines do not have a name, and they are not necessary.  Sometimes they can give the injector a road map, but it is better to be able to evaluate the changes as you are injecting and adjust accordingly.   Kenneth Hughes, MD  Los Angeles, CA

Kenneth B. Hughes, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 492 reviews

Cheek Augmentation with Radiesse

Thanks for the great question! When I use Radiesse for cheek augmentation, I will mark the patient's anatomy just like I would before doing a cheek implant placement surgery. This helps me to visualize the effects of the Radiesse and to target the specific anatomical areas that need volume. Using the detailed anatomy of the midface and orbit, Radiesse can give results that are just as good as surgery -- but this requires an expert who understands the deeper structures of the face.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 110 reviews

Term for marking lines in preparation for filler injection

There is no special terminology for these marking lines, other than marking lines.  It is not unusual for an injector to mark out areas to be injected.  As noted by others, an injector may also make note of special anatomical areas (such as the foramen or opening of the infraorbital nerve). 

Mireille Chae, MD
Seattle Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

Areas marked may be subcategories of cheek areas to be augmented

There is no true terminology for the marking lines. However, we often talk about different areas for augmentation in the cheeks. The cheeks can be broken down into the malar and submalar area. Out to the sides, there is also the zygoma that is part of the bony cheekbones of the face. These are areas that can be highlighted or marked for augmentation. Some physicians will also mark out the opening (foramen) for the infraorbital nerve that provides sensation to the face to avoid it in the process of augmentation. I hope that helps.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 33 reviews


There  is not a specific term for the marking lines.  I do not typically draw lines on my patients for Radiesse or any other dermal filler placement.  After having injected thousands of patients, the correct placement of the filler is attained by careful observation of where the natural facial volume has been lost and specific placement in these areas provides the optimal results. 

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD
Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Terminology for lines drawn on face before cosmetic procedures

There's not a true medical term for these lines that are sometimes drawn before cosmetic and medical procedures.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD
Las Vegas Dermatologist
4.6 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Terminology for marking lines drawn before cheek augmentation with filler

It is not unusual for the physician to use a marking pen to outline the areas to be treated with a filler before injecting it.  I am not aware of any particular terminology for these markings and would just call them marking lines.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.