How long does it take for the open wounds under my right breast to heal? (Photo)

I had my operation in august 27th (4 weeks) Now its been 1 week that I see this big open wound under my right breast Its very red and I tried to use ointment and keep it xlean with soap and water and change dressing couple of times per day It started a little bit itching It looks like it doesnt want to heal I had some yellow tissues and blood coming from it First how long it will take to heal and second what are my options to make it leave less scar on my skin It looks horrible in the picture

Hang in there

It is going to take many weeks to heal and it can be accelerated with a wound VAC and proper wound care.  A board certified plastic surgeon can help you with this.  Once healed the scars can be revised and you will look much better.  I have seen these even look amazing so hang in here and keep the faith.  Follow your plastic surgeons advice.   I am happy to see you in the Marina and offer a free second opinion if you would like. :-)

Wounds after reduction/mastopexies

These are more common that doctors like to admit.  Your surgeon should be guiding you through the healing process but rest assured that the wound will heal with conservative wound care and the scar will be smaller that what it looks like right now.  The wound would heal faster if the yellow material is removed (if its possible) and you don't allow the wound to dry out.  If you're surgeon is a believer of tissue approximation devices or sutures, they could be employed as well.  In the end, conservative wound care will allow this to heal on its own.

Curtis Wong, MD

How long does it take for the open wounds under my right breast to heal?

I appreciate your question.
Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your Surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend appropriate wound care treatment.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Breast wound.

Thanks for your question, I recommend you to keep in contact with your plastic surgeon, he should guide you through the healing of this skin wound. debridement and aproximation of skin borders would help for a faster healing. Regards.

Kemil Issa, MD

Your wound looks clean and well cared for. In my experience, using Xeroform gauze once daily after you shower will significantly accelerate the rate of healing in this type of wound. Ask your surgeons opinion on that. With xeroform, I would expect this wound to fully close in 4 to 6 weeks. You can consider scar revision at 6 months after that.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Wound opening

Thank you for the photos and the best advice for wound care is to see your surgeon frequently or go to a wound care center

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Open wound after breast surgery

Thank you for asking about your  breast surgery.

• Caring for a post-operative wound can't be managed on-line but I hope this is helpful.
  • It is not clear what surgery you had but it appears to be a breast lift with augmentation.
  • A continuing open wound risks infection to the implant so it should be very well cared for.
  • Soap, water and ointment are not the ideal treatment.
  • If your surgeon cannot help you, ask her/him to refer you to a wound center.
  • Hydrogel dressings changed once a day help wounds heal quickly by keeping them moist and protected.
  • If there is infection, it may need topical Dakin's solution to control the infection.
  • Above all, a professional should be guiding your care - in person.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Open wounds after breastlift/reduction

You have an open wound after what appears to be a breast lift.  There are many reasons for this.  Smoking reduces the circulation to the skin edges and this is a critical area in the breast where three skin edges come together.  Excessive tension in the skin flaps will also cause this such as pulling the skin edges around a lot of tissue or large breast implant.  Excessive movement of the arms also cause this.  Mechanical tension causes the skin edges which has marginal circulation to break down.  You will need to apply Silvadene to the wound to keep skin edges moist and infection free.  There are new products such as amniotic membranes + stem cells that can be injected into the tissue to speed up healings.  These products are very expensive though.  Its best not to be active and the wound tends to enlarge instead of shrink over time. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Your wound looks very good, believe it or not. The red tissue is heaped up blood vessels and the slight yellow drainage is normal. Your Plastic Surgeon is your first best chose relative to wound care, it appears however you are doing everything very well. This may take a few months to heal and you will be surprised how well it will heal over time.
If you smoke stop.
Good Luck

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery 

Open wound after breast lift

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, large open wounds heal in stages. These types of wounds occur in areas of maximal tension and when the tension over comes the strength of the skin or stitches the wound will open. Contributing factors are the genetics of the patient, blood supply to the area and smoking history to name some major players.

Once the wound has opened it will typically spread until there is not tension remaining. So a wide wound was under a fair amount of tension. After it opens, the wound will drain a bit and then the underlying tissues will begin efforts to try and close the wound. It will do this by making certain types of cells grow and they inturn will start building the necessary structures to support new skin growing over. This cellular layer will be beefy red. This will continue until the entire wound is beefy red without the yellow of fat showing.

After that the skin will grow over as a scar layer and start to contract and remodel. This closure rate will depend on the size of the wound it usually looks like nothing is happening for a few weeks and then bamm the wound seems to close very quickly.

This process may usually take a few months to close.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon