Breast Reduction of 50grams Make a Difference in a D Cup?

I just had my breast reduction last week and the PS said he removed 50grams from one breast and 100grams from the other. I am about 113lbs and was originally a 32D/DD. I asked for a small B. Visibly they look smaller even with the swelling, but are they actually smaller or are my eyes playing tricks on me? Does removing 50grams of breast tissue make any difference at all?

Breast Reduction

Breast Reduction is a complicated procedure that is best done by those with the most training and experience. It is very difficult to determine the resultant cup size and shape based solely on the number of grams that are removed from your breast to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast reduction and lift surgeries, including different approaches, techniques and even fat transfer and implant choices if you are lacking superior breast fullness.
This is because several measurements—not to mention breast characteristics such as density—are needed to determine how much and where to remove breast tissue to meet your goals. Without knowing your existing breast shape, dimensions, and the density of your breast tissue, it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the same volume of breast tissue will weigh different amounts (measured in ounces or grams) in different people depending on its density. The existing base width of your breast and what you will ultimately want to look like will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume and weight that will need to be removed for the best result.

Please click on the link below for more information!

50 gm breast reduction?

A 50 gm breast reduction sounds like you had a breast lift( mastopexy) rather than a true breast reduction procedure.

Need photos

The best thing to do is show us your before and/or after surgery photos so we can get an idea what you are calling DD cup size.

Andre Aboolian, MD

50 grams of tissue removed

will make a negligible difference in size and you probably had a mastopexy with limited reduction simply to make things more even.  As long as this is what you and your surgeon talked about, don't worry about terminology.  The bottom line is what do you think and if you're pleased with the size and appearance, that is all that matters.

Curtis Wong, MD

Small breast reduction

50-100 grams, in my opinion, isn't a true reduction.  It would certainly not get you from a D/DD to a B.  Are you sure you have the numbers right?  This operation sounds more like a lift and the major benefit would be elevating the nipples but not in reducing the size of the breasts.

Volume of breast tissue removed during a breast reduction

A breast reduction of 50 to 100 grams is very small and would be expected to change breast size by less than one cup.  If your concern is symmetry then it is still too early to evaluated.  In generally most breast reductions will be in the 400 to 500 gram range.  

Breast reduction of 50 grams

A breast reduction of 50 grams is essentially a breast lift as the volume, even 100 grams, is very little and unlikely to cause a change in cup size. An average breast reduction is 400 to 700 grams. You might look much better, especially if the nipple was ptotic, but the B cup is probably out of reach.

Breast Reduction of 50 gram Make a Significant Difference?

A 50 gram breast reduction would be considered a relatively small reduction. However, sometimes the effects of a breast lift can be impressive when it comes to patients'  impression of breast size change. In other words, it may be that the change in breast position on your chest wall ( even though only a relatively small breast reduction procedure was performed) will achieve the results that you are looking for.

Best wishes; hopefully, you will be pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed, regardless of the specific cup size you wear afterwards.

Removal of 50 g of breast tissue is not a reduction.

50 g of tissue removal would satisfy no one's definition of a breast reduction. Several hundred grams of tissue would need to be removed to make a dent in a D cup.