How long after Breast Augmentation will I safely be able to pick up my 15th month old child?

I'm thinking of breast implants, but i have a 4 year old and a 15 month old baby. How long will take for me to be able to pick up my baby again? Should I wait for the little baby to get older?

Lifting child after Breast Implants

We generally recommend that our patients limit the amount of weight they lift to less than 5 pounds for the first 2 weeks post operatively and less than 15 pounds for the first month.  This is not to say that you cannot have a breast augmentation with implants at this time.  Planning is the key.  You should have another adult to care for the children for at least 5 day following your surgery. You will still be able to participate in their care just no pulling or lifting.  Many of our breast augmentation patients have small children. We just advise you to arrange a good helper for the first week after surgery.

Lifting little ones after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. You definitely want to follow your own surgeon's post-op activity instructions. This is a general guide I give to my patients as to the recovery
Week 1) Discomfort and tightness level progressively decreases with each day. Swelling decreases a great deal after one week. Most people return to work in some capacity.
Week 2) Unlikely to need any narcotic support except maybe at night. Swelling and tightness continues to improve compared to week 1
Weeks 3-6) May need tylenol or ibuprofen for intermittent discomfort. Swelling completely resolved. Tightness may continue as the implants over an additional few months into their final position.

As far as activity, here is a safe guide:
1) No heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 6 weeks (a gallon of milk as a guide).
2) Resume walking at a leisurely pace right after surgery (e.g. 2 mph)
3) At 2 weeks, you can walk 2 miles at 2mph
4) At 3 weeks, you can walk 3 miles at 3mph
5) At 4 weeks, you can walk 4 miles at 4mph
6) At 5 weeks, you can jog 5 miles at 5mph
7) At 6 weeks, you can resume all activities, but listen to your body and use discomfort or tightness as a guide so you don't over do it.

So as far as the little ones, I would recommend having help for basic needs like lifting into the car seat. You can cuddle with them while you are sitting down, but you should avoid the tendency to multitask with one child in your arms while you are busy doing other tasks.

Breast Implant Recovery Time Need for Child Care Assistance

You sound like a busy lady! The standard answer I give is by 4-6 weeks most of my patients are cleared to return to any activity they were doing before surgery. For 1 week it is important to not raise your arms over your head or lift much more than 10lbs. After that a gradual increase in activity can resume. If you can arrange for help with your little ones for that period of time there is no reason to postpone surgery if it is something you want to do for yourself. Best of luck to you. 

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Recovery after Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. The "standard" answer is: no heavy lifting (nothing over 10 lbs or the equivalent of a gallon of milk) for 4 to 6 weeks after surgery. However, breast augmentations are performed quite often on mothers of young children. If possible it would be a good idea to have help with your childcare for the first couple of weeks. But as always, it is best to follow your own surgeon's post-operative instructions for the best result. Best of luck to you.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Lifting Restrictions After Breast Augmentation

Every surgeon has a different protocol for recovery after breast augmentation.  The best person is to ask is your PS.  I typically allow gradual increases in the amount my patients can lift over 4-6 weeks.

Dr. ES

Breast implants

You probably won't be able to pick up your young child for two weeks.  I gave done breast implants on many young mothers who wonder how in the world they are going to deal with their children while they recover.  They all manage to figure out a way.  There is no reason to delay the surgery if it something you desire.  Good luck!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

You will get varying answers to when you can lift your baby. Many plastic surgeons will recommend that you restrain from lifting anything that weighs over 10 pounds for 3 weeks after surgery.

I would suggest that you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person and follow his or her advice.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Activity After Breast Augmentation

Activity After Breast Augmentation
Most patients are doing well at 4-6 weeks after surgery.  Six weeks is safest for heavy lifting.

Most plastic surgeons will recommend 4 to 6 weeks before resuming strenuous activity.  Some patients are able to get help with younger children.  Some patients may want to wait.

Breast augmentation

Moaparker-

Thank you for your question. I typically recommend no lifting of more than 10 lbs for 4-6 weeks. I know it can be difficult with a fifteen month old so it may be best to wait until they require less carrying around. Good luck with surgery.