Sports Bra and Tighter Bra After Breast Implants?

I'm post-op breast augmentation from a 34AA to full C (400cc). I want to know how long do you wear a sports bra and would a tighter one be best apposed to a comfortable bra?

To Bra or not to Bra, there is no right answer

There is no right answer that has been investigated in a scientific manner. Most surgeons have their own routine, though none can prove they are right. Personally, I ask my patients to switch to a tight, elastic sports bra with a wide lateral strap on the day after surgery and to wear it for several days or longer. My theory is that the pressure reduces some of the swelling. After several days, this should no longer be effective. I then tell them that they can switch to any comfortable inexpensive bra that fits well. I also advise them that they will have to change size bra as the swelling resolves, and not to buy a nice, expensive bra for at least 2-3 months.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Bra style and size following breast augmentation

This is a very common question and a very good one! With regard to garment usage during the post-operative period you will find many variations of surgeon practices. I request my patients remain in a sports type bra for 4 weeks post-operative which allows for support and compression. The goal is not to be uncomfortable due to the tightness of the garment rather to provide support and help control swelling during your post-operative care. I typically will request my patients remain in their garment day and night only removing to shower for the full four weeks following surgery where upon week five they are able to transition into any bra they are comfortable with. 
If at any time you are concerned your bra is not the right size or possibly is too tight i would advise you to follow up with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. One of the many reasons why I prefer to provide two post-operative garments to my patients as part of the personalized post-operative kit is to assure the proper fit.
I do hope you have found this information helpful and I wish you luck! 

Ronald Downs, MD, FACS
South Bend Plastic Surgeon

Not enough info?

I usually place the implants under the muscle. It usually takes ~3-4 weeks before they start to drop into place. I won't let patients wear a bra until the implants are where they need to be and things look the best they will look. This may take months. Additionally, I have my patients wear an uncomfortable band to push the implants down for several weeks after surgery.

I never want a bra to be uncomfortable, or worse, painful, as this can cause serious problems.

Discuss this with your surgeon over an exam- he is the best one to guide you toward a happy ending.

sek

Bra after implants is individual

The decision to wear a bra immediately after breast augmentation is an individual one and you should discuss this with your surgeon. In my practice, I encourage my patients to wear a sports bra to give support to the added weight from the implants to give gentle compression to help reduce any swelling. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Ask your surgeon regarding post-op care

There is no standard to post-op care is concerned. Some situations need more support and some require less. Ask your surgeon. Most of the time, if the surgery went according to plan, I will have my patients do what is comfortable and often suggest going without a bra to allow the soft tissues to accommodate more naturally around the implant and allow gravity to help the implants shape the breasts while instructing use of a sports bra when exercising or doing sports.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Ask your surgeon

There are so many variables that must be considered in order to answer your question, that you would be best served by asking your particular surgeon the question you posed.

In some cases, I have a patient wear a bra, and in some I specifically may advise against it. Sometimes, I may not have the patient wear a bra and may even put an elastic strap across the top of the chest to "seat" the implants.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Bra or not?

Corpus Christi,

This is a question that only your surgeon should answer. Every surgeon has his/her own protocol for bra use after breast augmentation surgery. You should follow the instructions that your personal surgeon provides. If he/she has not told you what to wear, call their office and ask. Good luck!

After breast surgery, you should wear a soft bra for 3-4 months

After breast surgery, a general recommendation is to wear a soft bra for approximately 3-4 months and start wearing an underwire bra cautiously after that to ensure it does not irritate the lower breast skin or the incision if the incision was made under the breast position. Prior to this, patients can wear more normal appearing non-underwire bras or sports bras. I do not feel that an uncomfortably tight bra is helpful and I recommend that patients wear bras that fit well and feel comfortable in general. Many patients get used to these types of bras and actually use them after surgery because they prefer them to underwire bras.

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Bra after implants

There is little science to answer this question.  My personal approach is to have the patient wear a bra to keep the implant centered in the pocket that was created for it for 4-6 weeks to allow the pocket to consolidate and heal around the implant in its intended location.  Typically, this is accomplished with a sports bra until the patient is comfortable enough to wear a standard bra.  I do not want the patient to wear bras that displace the implant during this period of time (i.e., push up bras), or to go without any support, as the pocket can stretch and enlarge early in the postoperative course leading to malposition. Again, there is little science, this is the approach that has worked best for my patients.

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Sport bra and tighter after breast implants?

The use of a tight sports bra after a breast augmentation depends on the surgeon and his routine. I typically determine who wears a sports bra on a case by case basis. If the patient has a small breast and gets a large implant, the implant typically wants to "ride up" the chest wall. In this case I will use a loose fitting surgical bra and have them wear a bandeau to help keep the implants "down". If the breast skin is very loose (typical with post partum mothers) I will have them wear a tight fitting sports bra to help support the implant in the early post operative period.