Breast Implant Size to Achieve Medium C Cup?

Hi, I am looking for some advice. I am currently a large A/small B cup and I'm looking to go to a medium C cup. I am 5'8' and 175 lbs. my ribcage is 35" and my BWD is about 14.1. Any recommendations about Breast implants sizes in cc as well as the profile? Thanks for your help!

Breast Implant Size to achieve a C Cup

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Here’s one of the most important things to understand about breast augmentation – maybe THE most important: based on the breast ‘soft tissue envelope’ that you are starting with, and by that I mean the breast skin and subcutaneous breast tissue that will cover and conceal your implants, there is a limited range of implant shapes, dimensions and volumes that will produce 1. A natural-appearing result, which in turn provides you with 2. A very low likelihood of needing a reoperation (or a series of reoperations) for the problems associated with overly large breast implants: visible implant folds and ripples, implant malposition (usually ‘bottoming out’ and/or ‘lateral drift’), lower pole skin stretch deformity, easy implant palpability, stretchmarks and capsular contracture.

And yes, I do believe overly large implants have a higher rate of capsular contracture, for any one or all of the following reasons: a possible direct mechanical adverse effect on breast soft tissues; the fact that the bigger the implant is (i.e. the lower the ratio of natural breast volume to implant volume) the more obvious a mild or moderate contracture will be; and what I think is a high probability that surgeons who are willing to place unnaturally large breast implants are, as a group, less likely to be compulsive about using the intra-operative measures and techniques that have been shown to lower the incidence of capsular contracture.

If you want a natural-appearing result that is stable in appearance over time, find a surgeon who uses biodimensional planning principles and who recommends a smaller volume, moderate projection implant.  Given your body size and the size of your natural breast (A), you are probably a perfect candidate for shaped, form-stable implants.  275 – 300cc is plenty of implant for you, maybe 350 at the most depending on your actual measurements.  Don’t obsess about ‘C’ or ‘D’. Just ask the surgeon for the fullest volume breast implant that your natural breast tissue can effectively conceal (and not just for the short term but over time) based on biodimensional planning. You’ll get an outcome that looks full and beautiful but also natural, and that doesn’t cause you problems that  lead to frustrating reoperations with a few months or years of your augmentation surgery. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Your cup size depends on your total volume of your breast

It is difficult to say what size implant you would need without seeing how much breast tissue you have currently. For a average size woman (and you are a bit taller than average), you would need to be about 520 cc total volume for an average C. If you have 150 cc of your own breast tissue, you would need to get about a 370 cc implant to make a total of 520 cc. This is an average and also depends on your body shape and size. You would have to be examined to be clear. This is also complicated by the fact that bras are not regulated, so what is a B for most companies, Victoria Secret call that same bra a C cup for marketing reasons (women would like to think that their cup size is larger than they are). You need an physical exam to be sure!

Dan Mills, MD

Implant Size

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Cup Size after Breast Augmentation

I always stay away from postop bra size, because there are no guarantees and if you are shooting for a particular bra size after surgery, you will be greatly dissappointed.
You need to focus on the look you are going for and perform the Rice Test. This is a way for you to relay to your plastic surgeon as to the look you are going for and how large you want to be. So I recommend looking at my website where I discuss how to perform this test in one of my journal entries. It is very simple and will get you pretty close to the volume you need for the look you are going for.
Good luck.

Stop thinking of cup size!!!!!!!

Many women ask "how many cc's to be a b?" "How many ccs to be a d?"

The problem with that is that a B from Victoria's Secret does not fit the same as a B from La Perrla.

All women have more than one bra size in their dresser before surgery, and no doubt will have more than one bra size in their dresser after surgery. So to talk about an "upper B" v a "middle-B" is basically meaningless.

This is what you should focus on: do you want to see the outline of the implant? Do you want to look round? Do you want an upper pole convexity? Do you want to look obviously augmented? And if so, are you wiling to pay the long tem price of skin stretch and thinning of your tissue from pressure?

Or do you want the implant to be inconspicuous? Do you want the upper pole to lack a bulge? Do you want to look basically natural? Is preserving your tissue over the long term important to you?

Those are the questions you should ask. Forget about cup size. That is inaccurate and leads to disappointment. If you want to look round, bulgy, and fake, then just try sizers on in a bra and pick the one you want. If you want to look more natural, go to a surgeon competent at mneasuring and select the size that optimally fits your tissues.

It is really that simple. As unhelpful as it is to ask a surgeon who is seeing you in person how many cc's it would take to get to a particular size, it is utterly worthless to ask that question to doctors on the internet who have not seen you.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Add rice to your grocery list!

Hi Erin1234,

Women tend to think in cup sizes because that is how you buy your bras. The most common comment we hear is, “I’d like to be a C-cup”. When we hear this, we always ask more questions. And I always say the same thing: You need to forget thinking about cup size. This is because cup size for patients having breast augmentation is a very subjective measurement. Everyone wears their bras differently and every bra manufacturer makes them differently. You may be a 36C in one bra and a 34D in another. And when you check out all the different styles at your local Victoria’s Secret, you can understand why we say think proportion and shape, not cup size!

Every surgeon uses a different angle when working with patients to determine what size implants will give them the outcome they want. I am a fan of The Rice Test and "Wish For" photos from patients. These tell me exactly how much volume they are comfortable with and what they're picturing for themselves. 

What cup size or implant size you end up is really not as important as how happy you are with what you look like. My best advice is to be concerned with what you look like with a specified amount of added volume, not what that exact volume is. Patients focused on a cup size often end up with outcomes they are unhappy with and don't understand why they don't look the way they thought they would.

Breast augmetnation a to c cup

Its hard to say without seeing you in person. I like to use sizers to see what size implant you will need to get you to a c cup . then I measure your rib cage to see what shape implant will fit the best. 

Try on sizers!

You need to try on sizers and see which volume you like the best.  There is no other way to determine which implant fits your perception of the right size.

Breast implant size to achieve medium 'C' cup?

Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width.

Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!