Chances That Breast Implant Rejection Will Occur?

I have never been able to wear earrings (unless made of real gold/silver) due to my body rejecting them. I got my belly button pierced and my body rejected that and slowly pushed the piercing out. I tried the natural breast enhancement pills but gave up on them after 3 months, so now I'm looking into breast implants. But I'm worried that my body will reject the implants since I've had such a hard time with my body rejecting my jewelry. Do you think my body will reject the implants as well? What are the chances that it will happen?

Chances that breast implant REJECTION will occur

REJECTION is an immune mediated response in which our body recognizes something as foreign and then mounts an attack to remove it.

Breast implants (either saline or silicone filled) are made of a silicone shell which in thousands of studies has been shown NOT to elicit an immunological rejection response. NO implant in the history of human existence has been more intensely studies than breast implants; it has been more studied than heart valves, pacemakers, artificial vessels, joints and all other implants.

Like all operations breast augmentation does have some risks associated with it, but rejection is NOT one of them.

Good Luck.

Implant rejection

Hi,

This is not something that you should worry about. It is very unlikely. Both saline and silicone implants are made of a silicone shell which has been studied in depth and not been shown to cause any allergic reactions inside the body like a piercing which is exposed. There are however certain risks that are associated with any surgery. It is important to understand these before the surgery. There are also conditions that some patients might associate with rejection such as capsular contracture or an infection, but that is not the case.

As long as you are in good health, have a board certified surgeon that you trust, listen to their instructions and information, and communicate any concerns with your surgeon, you should have a successful surgery.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

​ The Chances of Immunological Implant Rejection Are Zero

There are complications associated with breast augmentation surgery. Implant rejection is not one of them. Studies have shown that this type of response does not happen to either silicone or saline implants. 

The best studies we have are pre-market approval studies, which were done from 1992 to 2006. These studies provide the best available evidence for implants and associated complications. None of these studies has ever demonstrated that this is a potential complication. Therefore, there is no evidence to support that implant rejection will occur.

Myths about silicone implants are very common. Rejection is one of those unfounded myths.

William Rahal, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Implant Rejection

Breast implants are very safe an have an inert shell. It is very unlikely that your body would reject them.

Jeffrey Weinzweig, MD

Implant Rejection

Implant rejection is an immunologic phenomena that has not been described with silicone breast implants.There has never been an implantable device studied as extensively as silicone breast implants.In 1990, silicone implants were taken off the market by the FDA.Since that time, multiple studies have been performed that have evaluated the safety of liquid silicone and the silastic implant shell.None of these studies have described implant rejection as a phenomena associated with breast implant use.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Implant rejection

I think that I may have answered a similar question before on this subject, but implants are inert and are not rejected.

Breast Implant Rejection Unlikely

Its is extremely unlikely you will reject a breast implant. Implants have an inert shell. Breast implants are very safe medical devices. This has been proven in a plethora of published studies. But remember, no medical devices last forever. Accepting implants accepts some degree of risk that you will need revision surgery due to an implant related problem in the future. So what are the risks: infection, rupture, malposition, scar tissue formation (capsular contracture), and of course, the need for revision surgery. The good news is that over 24 peer reviewed published studies have shown that implants are safe. They do no increase your risk of any systemic illness or breast cancer. Opting for breast augmentation is a very personal decision. A great site you could get more information from is the official website for the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Allergic reaction to breast implants causing rejection

The chances that your body will reject the implants are highly unlikely, probably far less than 1 in 1000 which is really the potential rate of infection. This would be the most likely cauuse other than tissue attenuation and exposure which are probably even less likely.

No chances you will reject breast implants

As the posters have stated at 100% there is no chance from your history for breast implant rejection.Go see boarded Plastic Surgeons in your area to discuss in detail. Good Luck!

Sounds like a nickel allergy

People who can't wear earrings or other piercings are usually allergic to Nickel which is an additive in cheap jewelery. Dermatologists can test for this. Silicone does not cause allergies and has no nickel in it.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD