Breast Implants for Petite Women

My frame is only really small, 26inch around my rib cage, 5'5'' and 7 stone (98 lbs). I want to go to a good 32 c cup. I've been told to have 270cc under the muscle but im not sure if i should have round standard implants or round high profile implants as im only small. I dont want them to look too fake though!

On petite women small implants can look big

On a petite woman a small implant can create a large cup breast.  That same implant on a larger woman can barely be noticeable.  It is the implant size in relation to the body / chest size that matters.

When choosing the size of a breast implant, especially in petite women, it is important to consider the chest width as a limiting factor.  Choosing an implant that is too big (ie it is too wide for your chest) will lead to two possible problems.  Either the implants will touch in the middle or the will extend too far on the sides.

The benefit of going with higher projection implants is that for the same amount of volume you get a smaller diameter implant.... thus you can have a fuller implant on a smaller / narrower chest.  The downside of higher projection implants is that they look more fake.  So it's always a tradeoff.  You have to decide what is more important to you::::  Size OR natural look.

I prefer to use moderate profile implants for small, narrow-chested women

It is not uncommon for small framed women to request breast augmentation surgery. The choice of implant, size and location of the implant is a decision that the patient can make with the surgeon. The choice between saline filled implants vs. silicone implants requires consideration of many issues. Some of these include amount of native breast tissue, patient's feelings about silicone and cost.

The shape and profile of the implant is determined by the breast diameter, which is measured by the surgeon pre-operatively.

Whether someone gets round implants vs. high profile or moderate profile implants is determined by the patients’ preference for overall shape, as well as chest dimensions. I prefer the moderate profile to high profile implants for small, narrow chested women.

The exception to this is if the patient wants a lot of lateral roundness. Then a standard round implant may be a better choice.

Kari L. Colen, MD

Proportion and Fit Are Important for Natural Appearance

Of course, size matters!

But, most important is your own sense of balance and proportion.

Trying on the implants can be very helpful,

3-Dimensional Imaging (if available to you in your surgeon's office) can be another way to be sure you are choosing the best size and shape implant to give you the look you want.

Higher profile implants produce a rounder, fuller breast with more fullness in the upper chest. Higher profiles may fit a narrow ches better, preventing too much fullness to the side of the chest.

Low- and medium-profile implants tend to be more "natural" appearing.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Natural look for petite women

After finding a board certified plastic surgeon to perform your surgery, do your homework and find pictures of what you would like to achieve in size and shape for your body type.

Internally, your anatomy could differ, meaning your chest could be concaved or convexed and you may need a certain type of implant to achieve your desired look. In other words, the only way to determine what would be proportioned to you is when we are in the operating room.

For more information, check out before and after photos of happy patients. Good luck!

Implant size for petite women

I use a technique called dimensional breast augmentation which involves taking in a number of factors and measurements, so each patient is unique. That being said, given your height, weight, and your activity level, along with the fact you are considering a lift, I would say you are probably not that far off in choosing an implant in that range. Best thing to do is to see a qualified plastic surgeon that has good breast expertise.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

3D imaging can help you visualize yourself with implants

Often times it is very difficult for patients to imagine what they will look like with breast implants.  You can look at photos of other patients, but this isn't a very accurate way of deciding on breast implant size.  Especially if you are very petite, it can be difficult deciding on implant size. I use 3D computerized imaging which takes a photo of your torso, in 3D, then any implant size can be inserted to simulate your final outcome.  This is extemely accurate and helpful for patients to visualize what they will look like with a 250cc implant vs. 300 cc for example.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Choosing the correct breast implant

Whether or not to go with high profile implants or round standard implants really depends upon your anatomy and your desires for improvement. This is what I take alot of time reviewing with my patients during their consultation.

Breast Augmentation for a Small Frame

For a woman who is a small frame, a dimensional sizing system is now becoming much more popular. Your size and volume depend upon your biases, your frame and your surgeon’s experience. A woman who has a very small frame and a narrow base width breast will have some restrictions on her as to what implants can be used, particularly if she chooses anatomic implants. Using round smooth implants under the muscle will give you larger volume opportunities than your actual measurements may imply. These tradeoffs should be discussed with you in your consultation. If your main concern is to look natural and proportionate, then a more modest enhancement will be something that will be discussed with you using both measurement techniques as well as sizing techniques in consultation with you and your surgeon. I do the sizing myself in all of my consultations so that patients have a full opportunity to discuss the tradeoffs that occur with each different implant style. Because I offer more than one style, I enable my patients to become “an expert” in both their breast and their implant options.

Of course adding fat to your implant breast augmentation is another option using a Brava technique to expand your tissues. You and I may discuss serially adding fat to your breasts that will be yours forever and will never need an implant replacement. These opportunities are now much more common for a woman who wants to be “proportionate” and wishes to have the naturalness of her own fat over the long term. For a woman who has already had two children she may commonly find that her breasts are very saggy from pregnancies and breastfeeding.

Having a breast augmentation may give you some nipple repositioning but if the nipple position is below your fold you may need a lift at the same time. Should you get pregnant again with implants under your muscle, there is no interruption of your breast from the nipple connection. The milk ducts go right to the nipple and the implant is placed behind the muscle so there is no negative consequence. Having the implant in your breast under the muscle has no difficulty with you breastfeeding if you didn’t have breastfeeding problems to begin with. The discussion of these particular elements are undertaken at the time of my consultation with my patients, especially if they have not yet completed their fertility so none of their options are foreclosed.

Paul Vanek, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Try on sizers!

High profile implants are more narrow and will probably fit you better.  As for the size, try on sizers to pick the best size for your goals.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants for Petite Frame

It’s always difficult making decisions about breast size without performing a physical examination or seeing pre-operative pictures. In addition, the patient’s underlying anatomy and personal preference for size and shape must be considered.

It’s important to choose breast implants that fit your body. These implants should have harmony, balance and proportion with the surrounding structures. It’s also important to realize that breast implants come in all shapes and sizes because no two women are exactly the same.

In women with narrow chest diameter, choosing the right implant can be difficult for several reasons. When women have small chest circumferences, an implant with a narrow base dimension may be necessary for a proper fit on the chest wall. When this happens choices are often limited.

Under these circumstances a larger high profile implant can be chosen. This might meet your size objectives, but ultimately gives an artificial or fake look. In some cases a moderate plus implant with a narrow base dimension can be chosen. This implant might not meet your size objective but would give a more natural appearance.

Based on your stated goals, it’s possible that you might need to make some compromises. It’s important that you discuss these issues with your surgeon before proceeding so everyone understands your priorities. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon