Naturally Looking Full C Cup with 400cc Silicone Breast Implants?

I am 5'5, 105 lbs, with 32A breasts and wanting a full C cup. I will be having 400CC silicone breast implants, Modplus. Would this give me natural look?

Natural C Cup

There will  be absolutely nothing natural-looking about a 400 cc M+ silicone breast implant on your very lean frame!  With a size 32 chest/bra, cup size increases rapidly with even modest volume increases.  Larger M+ silicone implants will be too wide for your native breast width, imparting a matronly look to your breasts.  Further, these wider implants will encroach upon the armpit area because the implant has to go somewhere.  Increasing the volume will most certainly require a High Profile device, especially with Mentor implants.  Please consider the long-tern effects of large implants on your soft tissues!  You will have ample opportunities to adjust the volume during future implant exchanges, especially if your weight changes in the years to come.  With your build, backing off 100 cc or so can still provide a very desirable result.  Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done.  Speak with a surgeon who has your best interests in mind.           

Natural C Cup

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

How to achieve a Full C with Breast augmentation - Look at your plastic surgeons results to see what a "C" means to you

You need to first determine whether you and your plastic surgeon share the same opinion about what what a natural looking breast implant result looks like. Look at many, many before and after images.
The actual size of a breast implant, measured in cc's, is really not very descriptive of what a breast augmentation will look like, or what the cup size will be. It is all relative to the size of the breast and the size of the patient preoperatively. A tall, broad-shouldered patient with small A-cup breasts may require 450cc implants to achieve a C-cup breast volume postoperatively, while a shorter patient with medium B-cup breasts may only need a 250cc implant to achieve a C-cup breast volume. The Full C seems to be one of the mist requested bra sizes, yet it means different things to different people. 
If a natural appearance is the goal, then the way to get the size right is to 'try out' different implant volumes and profiles in the operating room. Once the implant pockets have been created, sterile sizers can be placed in the implant pockets, and the upper half of the O.R. table raised so that the resulting breast appearance can be assessed with the patient in an upright 'sitting' position (chest fully upright) while under anesthesia. These sizers are available not only for each implant size but also for each implant profile: low, moderate and high (in this practice we use high-profile implants only in rare instances). Inflatable sizers are used for saline implant augmentations, and pre-filled gel sizers are used for gel implant augmentations.
For any patient there is obviously a range of implant volumes that would be considered natural-appearing, and a volume at which the upper pole of the breast begins to look very unnatural. While one patient may seek an augmentation that is 'perfectly natural', another may be interested in a result that is more on 'the full side of natural', and many patients do ask that the largest implant volume be selected that does not produce an unnatural fullness in the upper pole.  Look at many, many before and after images. Using images from your surgeon's before and after gallery is a very valuable means of communicating your goals. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Naturally occuring C cup.

For your given height, you far less than your ideal body weight of 130 lbs.This likely means that any implant placed in a small breast with a small amount of body fat will have an obvious augmentation appearance. Statisitically you would achieve a C cup with a 350cc Implant. The 400cc implant is likely to be somewhat obvious.

Naturally occuring C cup.

400 cc implants not the most natural look for a petite woman

There are really a couple of questions here. One is what you mean by a "natural" look. An interesting study from a few years ago found that what plastic surgeons consider natural was not the same as what patients really wanted when they said the natural look is what they were after. patients tended to select more upper fullness (and so a larger size.) However, 400 cc breasts on a woman of 105 lbs. is just not something that occurs naturally very often. If beleivability is what you want then 400 cc is too large.

The other thing is cup size, which relates to the size of the chest as much as the volume of the breasts. A C cup on one person is a different look than someone of different stature. It's a better idea to focus on the look you want without reference to cup size.

Natural Look Regardless of Voume

The number one thing I hear in my practice is, "I do not want to look fake, top heavy, etc."

The vast majority of women want a "natural look." The problem is, that term is misleading. 

The perfect implant for your goals will look natural and beautiful, whether you go “conservative” or max out on size, and whether you choose round or teardrop shaped implants.

For you to choose the right implant size and shape, there are a few things that you need to understand first.

HOW IMPLANT SIZES ARE CHOSEN

Imagine lying on your back and drawing a circle around your breast. If you draw a line across that circle, it will be a given length. (The length of a circle is called a “diameter”.) This is a measurement that your plastic surgeon will take. The length of this area of your chest is called the “base width diameter” (BWD).

For women, the base width diameter ranges from 9.5 cm to 16.5 cm (3.75 inches to 6.5 inches). As you can see, there is a very wide range.

A smooth breast implant is circular, and has the same measurement as your BWD. So if your BWD is 12 cm, that tells us that your implant cannot be more than 12 cm. It won’t fit. So the BWD determines the max size of the implant, length-wise.

Then the question becomes, how much volume will this implant have? We’ve measured its length, now let’s measure how far out it will project. That projection is the Profile, which comes in low, moderate, full (high), extra full (extra high).

A moderate profile will fit into most women. For the implants with more volume, high and extra high, whether they will fit depends on how much your skin can stretch. The stretchiness of the skin is based on genetic factors, weight, age, and whether you have had children. A woman who has breastfed will have looser skin. That means it can be stretched further and have room for a high profile, if that is what she wants.

For the most part, the implant size and volume is limited by these two measurements: your base width diameter and how loose your skin is. It tells you how much you can max out on. As long as the breast implant is kept within these measurements, you will have a beautiful, natural look, even if you max out.

The “fake,” “top heavy” or “stripper” look happens when the patient wants an implant that is bigger than her measurements. If it does not fit her body, it will look unnatural. So as long as you stay within your measurements, you do not have to worry about looking fake.

DO NOT GET CONFUSED WITH TALK OF CCs

When you are doing research online, looking at other women, the volume of an implant, the cc’s, cannot guide you in breast size. Here’s why . . .

Think about just how wide a range you see in women’s body types, shapes, and frames. That’s why the base width diameter in women can range from 9.5 cm to 16.5 cm.

A smaller implant gets filled up with less volume. It’s common sense. If your BWD is 11 cm, the high profile implant will have 265 cc’s. If your BWD is 14 cm, the high profile implant will have 605 cc’s.

In other words, 265 cc’s and 605 cc’s will have the similar cup size for a difference in BWD. The cc is relative to BWD.

MY SIMPLE PROCESS FOR CHOOSING THE RIGHT SHAPE AND SIZE

Here's my promise to you . . .

There's a simple process to help you select the right shaped implant. Whether you go with round or teardrop, you will be thrilled with your results because we followed this process.  

(FYI: “Teardrop,” “anatomic,” and “gummy bear implants” are all synonymous, they mean the same thing.)

This is how it works.

STEP 1: See your options

During a consultation, I take out five breast implants and put them on a table. Before your eyes are low profile, moderate profile, high profile, extra high profile, anatomic, and saline implants.

Take a moment to examine each shape and size. Notice that the difference between some of the implants are subtle.

I will also measure your base width diameter and ee how much your skin can be stretched. This tells us what room we have to work with. Your implant will be that size or smaller, but no bigger.

STEP 2: Tell me your beauty goals

What is your goal? What look would you like to achieve?

Do you want to go "conservative" with a "natural and proportionate" look? Or would you like to go "as full as possible while staying natural"?

Your answer to this will determine the implant shape that appeals to you.

STEP 3: See how this implant looks on your body

Have you ever had a $41,000 picture taken of you?

When I opened my private practice, the first thing I did was invest in a $41,000 device called the Vectra 3D. It is a must-have tool for getting patients ideal results.

The Vectra takes a 3D photograph of your torso and breasts. Then, the 3D photo appears on a computer screen. On the screen, we can create accurate simulations of what your breasts will look like with different implant shapes and sizes. This will give you a realistic image of what you’ll look like after breast augmentation surgery.

You can experiment with the different implant options until you find the one you are happy with. Being able to see the results with your own eyes, beforehand, is the best way to communicate your desired look with your doctor. It takes out so much guesswork, especially about breast implant shapes and volume (cc).

Now here’s a fact about describing your goals: words can only take us so far. Very often, what a patient thinks, says, and truly wants are all different. You need to SEE what your implant will look like, on your unique body, to confidently say, “This is the perfect implant for me!”

That’s the beauty of the Vectra. It is a visual tool that creates accurate expectations and ensures the best communication. It will cast away your doubts and fears about choosing the right implant.

That’s why the Vectra is a critical investment for any practice. It is so important for giving patients results they are happy with and why, post-op, I often hear patients say, “They’re perfect. This is exactly what I wanted.”

STEP 4: Select your implant shape and size

On the Vectra, when we pull up simulations of your breasts with different implants, you will either like the result, or want to see a different one.

There are two ways you may get caught up. For example you may be caught up between two different profiles or two sizes within the same profile. You’re not sure whether to go medium or high. Or your mind is set on high profile, but you are stuck between two sizes, 345 cc or 365 cc.

If a patient is worried about 345 cc or 365 cc, I tell them that a shot glass has 40 cc. This is a good way of explaining that there really is not much of a difference. On the Vectra, you see that the differences are very subtle, nowhere near as drastic as you imagined.

Finally, you point at the option on the screen and say, “That’s the one I want.” Congratulations, you have chosen the ideal breast implant for you.

After the procedure, your breasts look very much like the way you saw them modeled.

You are thrilled, and like many of my patients, you tell me “I’m so happy with my results. They are perfect, exactly what I wanted. I wish I did this sooner.”

Note: there is an exception to this process. In the rare case that a patient has a long chest wall or "constrictive breast deformity", I would suggest considering an anatomic implant from the start. That shape will look better on this type of patient.

3 DIFFERENT EXAMPLES OF THIS PROCESS

Let me cover a few examples of what going through this process can look like.

Example One: The Patient Whose Taste Is Truly Conservative

This patient tells me that she wants the implant to look natural and proportionate. She does not want to have a dramatic increase in cup size.

Given this desired result, she will like either the round moderate profile or anatomic implant. We will then model both implants on the Vectra 3D imaging software and see which one she chooses.

In this case, it turns out she really likes the anatomic look. I explain that there's about a 1% chance of a complication in which the implant can rotate and require revision.

If she is ok with this, she'll go with the teardrop implant. If not, the moderate profile will meet her beauty goals.

Example Two: The Patient Who Is Afraid Of Looking “Fake”, But Ends up Wanting More Volume

This patient says something very similar to the first example. She wants to look natural and proportionate. She does not want a "top heavy", "fake" or "playboy look".

She does, however, want an increase of "about 1 or 2 cup sizes".

We model the moderate profile or the teardrop. But, it turns out, she wants more volume. At this point, I have explained to her that as long as we stay within her measurements she will have a beautiful, natural look. (A patient’s measurements are explained in more detail in an article about breast implant sizes.)

Because of its shape, there is a limit to how much volume can be added to the teardrop, so, she definitely will be going with a round implant.

She ends up going with a high profile implant, close to maxing out on size. She sees on the Vectra that it looks natural, but that it also has the size and fullness that really appeals to her. She's going to love them!

Example Three: The Patient Who Wants To Max Out From the Start

This patient tells me she wants to go as big as possible (usually while still looking natural).

We choose a round implant with the maximum profile/volume that will fit her measurements.

She sees the results on the Vectra 3D. She is either happy, or wants to go even bigger.

If she's happy, great! We have found the perfect implant for her.

If she wants to go even bigger, I have to explain that we've already seen the max implant volume that will fit her, based on her measurements. Anything more would look unnatural, and, much more importantly, would not be safe.

If she is ok with that fact, we can proceed. If not, I explain to her that ethically, I cannot give her the size that she wants, so if she insists on it, she will have to see another surgeon who is willing to do that.

A NOTE ON REGRETS AND SECOND-GUESSING THROUGHOUT RECOVERY

If you read patient stories about their experience post-op, you’ll see things like:

“If you’re happy with the size immediately after the surgery, you may be unhappy when the implants drop, because they will be smaller.”

“At this stage in recovery, some patients feel regret and wish they went bigger.”

Behind these statements is an idea that a patient’s thoughts and feelings about their decision change as they recover, and that this is normal.

I believe this is an out-of-date way of thinking about breast augmentation. Sure, people may have alternating feelings about this big life decision, but regret should NEVER be a part of it.

On RealSelf, you see so many patients tormented with uncertainty about whether they chose the right implant size or shape; they are anxious all throughout the recovery process, waiting at least 3 months to see the final result. This is a very unpleasant experience no patient should go through.

A patient needs to be educated the right way, they need to have all the right expectations set up front. When this is done right, you should be happy about your breast augmentation and implant choice, from beginning to end. It’s what I expect from all my patients, that they come out of surgery happy, and they stay happy.

Now that I’ve explained how the Vectra works, you can understand how the guesswork is removed from the results. Therefore, you will not be tormented by doubts and uncertainty.

SUMMARY

There you have it. Following my simple process, you will choose the perfect implant that meets your goals.

Will you want your breast augmentation to look as natural and proportionate as possible? Or will it turn out that you are looking for a fuller look?

After we decide on this together, we will see what this implant looks like on your body with a Vectra 3D simulation. You will be either happy or want to see a what a different option would look like. At the end of this process, we will have found the perfect implant for you!

Therefore, both round and teardrop shaped implants are acceptable choices. What it will come down to is what you think LOOKS best on your body. And thanks to the Vectra, you will be able to see it for yourself and make a choice you feel 100% confident about.

The lesson here is to rely on what you SEE (in the simulation), not on what you "think" will look best, or rules of thumb. Cut out the guesswork. Verbal communication cannot be exact when it comes to your personal preference about a specific beauty look. Thanks to modern tools, and an understanding of how to give patients the results they truly want, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to choose the perfect implant for your body.

Don't settle for anything less than ideal.

I hope that answers your question on picking the right implant. It’s great that you’re doing this research. I always say that the best patients are informed patients.

You might also want to research your options for breast implants. Choosing the right implant is the number one concern among women considering breast augmentation. Did you know, there’s actually a way to select a implant shape, size, and profile that is perfect for you?

A term that I use with my patients for the perfect implant is the “Pony Implant”.

So what do I mean by “perfect”? Well, a Pony Implant has three qualities to it. First, the implant meets your beauty goals. For example, you want to your breasts to look fuller while still appearing natural.

Second, when you chose your Pony Implant, you walk out of your consultation 100% confident that you’ve chosen the right shape and size for you. In other words, you won’t be second guessing your decision, and you won’t be afraid of having gone too big or too small.

And third, after your procedure, you are thrilled with your results, and say, "I’m so happy. This is exactly what I wanted!"

That’s the Pony Implant. And the great news is that there is a simple process to go about finding yours.

This issue of selecting the right implant is so important when it comes to patient satisfaction or dissatisfaction that, again, I really encourage you to learn more about it.

Thank you for reading and best of luck on your journey!

Natural Look Regardless of Voume

HOW IMPLANT SIZES ARE CHOSEN

DO NOT GET CONFUSED WITH TALK OF CCs

Here's my promise to you . . .

This is how it works.

STEP 1: See your options

STEP 2: Tell me your beauty goals

3 DIFFERENT EXAMPLES OF THIS PROCESS

SUMMARY

Breast Implant Size

There is not a direct correlation between breast implant size and cup size as the cup size varies greatly among companies and even within the same company. Moreover, cup size can vary based on who is performing the measurement. 
The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body.

Breast Implant Size

Naturally-looking full 'C' cup with 400cc silicone breast implants?

Hello! Thank you for your question! Given your description and wishes, an implant to fit your chest may be the right one for you. The most important determination for the correct implant size is the width of of your breast. Choosing one that fits your breast perfectly would be the ideal one for you. Although there are a few smaller sized implants available, an evaluation and examination by a plastic surgeon of your breast characteristics, breast width, and skin/soft tissue laxity are very important in picking the right implant to meet your desires. Consideration for the gummy bear implant is also a thought. Photographs of what you envision for yourself may be helpful during your consultation.

Consult with a surgeon who will discuss the various options, implants, incision location, implant placement, etc. it is difficult to give you recommendations without an examination and measurements. Good luck and best wishes for a terrific result!

Implant Selection Process

Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.

I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

Implant Selection Process

Dr. Gill

Natural look

It would be really helpful to have a full consultation with breast measurements taken. Using this information, your plastic surgeon can help you chose the appropriate implants and the " look" you are going for and advise you on other adjunctive procedures to give you your desired look. There is no ideal correlation with volume of an implant and "cup size" due to many variables including the patient current breast volume and breast shape.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Natural look

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Natural! Naturel! Naturale!

Hello oneworld, 

Every surgeon uses a different angle when working with patients to determine what size implants will give them the outcome they want. I am a fan of The Rice Test and "Wish For" photos from patients. These tell me exactly how much volume they are comfortable with and what they're picturing for themselves. I have no idea what was the method your surgeon used or what took place, but it is my opinion given your stats that this will be a larger implant for you and not look what I would consider to be "natural".  

However, none of this matters if this look is what YOU want. "Natural" is the most common descriptor word I hear during consultations for a desired outcome after breast augmentation. But I can tell you the wide range of actual desired looks and sizes is HUGE. And guess what? All of these patients are pleased and consider them to be natural! 

Relating and utilizing the implant diameter, projection and size to the relation of a patient’s body measurements and current breast volume are part of the process for an experienced surgeon. Patients are never expected to make a determination on this detail at my practice. When you say you agreed on a 400cc Mod+ silicone implant, what I'm really wondering is how much actual volume makes you happy? 

What cup size or implant size you end up is really not as important as how happy you are with what you look like. My best advice is to be concerned with what you look like with a specified amount of added volume, not what that exact volume is. Patients focused on the cc's of their implants often end up with outcomes they are unhappy with and don't understand why they don't look the way they thought they would with a certain number.

Natural! Naturel! Naturale!

Hello oneworld,