How to Avoid Breast Implants Looking Like Balls on Chest?

I am 5'1" 103 lbs. I am getting breast implants in 5 days. My surgeon has suggested 350 cc smooth, round, high profile silicone implants for my body. My biggest concern is I do not want to have the "ball" look on my chest. I want more of the natural slope of the breast look. Any advice on how to avoid the "ball" look?

Breast Implants that look like balls on chest

A common error that leads to an unnatural appearance after breast augmentation, even with implants of an ideal size, is inadequate lower pole dissection and/or inadequate release of the pectoralis major origin just above the inframammary fold. As a result the implants sit too high and appear excessively full in the upper poles (the area above the nipple-areola complex), while the lower poles - which should be the fullest area of the breast - are underfilled. Inadequate muscle release may also result in bizarre-appearing breast implant animation when the pec major muscle contracts. In some cases this may result in one or both of their implants jumping up literally to the level of a patient's collarbones - an alarmingly unnatural look, and one that is totally avoidable 

A shaped form stable breast implant can give the patient the lowest risk of fold and ripples in the lower pole, the lowest risk of a visible transition between natural breast tissue and implant  (sometime refereed to as a double bubble) and the lowest risk of breast implant malposition with the breasts bottoming out. I think there is a performance difference between form stable breast implants. Consult with plastic surgeon who have experience and expertise perfuming this particular procedure. 

In many breast augmentation patients, the inframammary fold needs to be lowered in order to allow the implant to rest at a level that appears natural relative to the position of the nipple and areola. Ideally the implant should be centered directly behind the nipple-areola complex (NAC). In profile, the natural-appearing breast is not convex in the upper pole, and an excessively convex and overly full upper pole is a dead giveaway that a breast implant sits below the skin. In addition, inadequate release of the inferior origin of the pectoralis major will allow the muscle to hold the implant in too high a position, and may even cause the implant to displace upwards (as high as the collar bone in some patients) when the muscle contracts. Patients with this problem require reoperation to release the inferior origin of the pec major and/or the inframammary fold.

Likewise, if the inframammary fold is lowered too far, the augmented breast will appear 'bottomed out', with an excessively full lower pole, an empty upper pole, and a nipple/areola that appears to sit too high on the breast - another situation with a distinctly unnatural appearance, and one that requires surgical correction: repair of the inframammary fold(s).

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Choosing the right implants

The more soft tissue you have covering them, the more likley they will look natural. Also that means that a smaller implant usually looks better.

Breast implant sizes.

1) This is why cosmetic surgery is an art. Of course, I have not examined you, but based on your size as you describe it, I think 350 cc's is too large, and you may well end up with very large "balls".

2) In New York City, we put different disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery. That way, I can tell without any guesswork, what implant size looks most natural on you. Then, and only then, we open the correct permanent implants from our inventory.

3) If you want a guess, I would guess 200 cc's to 250 cc's would be right for you. But the whole point is not to guess.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Have a good surgeon and listen to him or her

Most good surgeons listen to their patients when they express their desires. You need to go to a good surgeon and listen to what he or she tells you and then go from there. The way your tissues are distributed as well as your dimensions and tissue thickness really determine everything else.

You are probably looking at mid-range implants in volume with muscular coverage.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

How to avoid breast implants looking like balls on chest

If you have breast augmentation surgery, you cannot avoid it - but you can minimize it.

First, the result you described is USUALLY seen when an implant has little soft tissue cover from the beginning or loses its cover due to tissue wasting and is then squeezed by a choking scar tissue which balls things up, called capsular contracture.

Capsular contracture is seen more commonly with suprapectoral / under the gland placement, with the older gel implants, with a blunt pocket dissection leaving blood in the pocket (rather than precise bloodless cautery dissection), with foreign bodies in the wound (gown fragments, gauze fragments, glove starch) and by infection.

The best way to minimize it - pick a good surgeon who would help you pick an implant that would be covered by your present breast and will not exert too much pressure eventually causing your breast to thin out and uncover the implant; To put the implant under the muscle in a precise and close to atraumatic tech AFTER changing and washing the surgeon's gloves and irrigating the pocket.

That should prevent a large portion of capsular contracture.

I hope this was helpful.

Wrong choices for breast implants make artificial-looking breasts

The way to get an artificial looking breast is to make wrong choices! Wrong size,wrong pocket,wrong surgeon! A gel implant with the proper size and in the proper pocket will get you a natural result.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Avoid above the muscle placement for a more natural look

You are a thin woman and the larger the implant you go with, the more it can overtake the natural look. I am a firm believer in sub-muscular placement to provide better upper and middle breast coverage.

You should try the implants that will be used on in a sports bra and take a look in the mirror. This is the only good way to get an idea of what to expect from your surgery. Best of luck.

Dr Edwards

Breast Implants That Look Too Round Can Usually be Prevented

Implants that are too round and tight appearing on the chest can happen because of capsular contracture, large implants being placed in very thin individuals, and imprecise selection of the pocket location and implant type.

Many of these issues can be prevented if you see a board-certified plastic surgeon who can address your concerns and explain what they will do to avoid an unnatural result.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation

To avoid a "ball" type look I recommend the implants be placed submuscular and not subglandular. Meaning, have the implants under the pectoral muscle and not in front of the pectoral muscle. Also using an anatomic, or "tear drop" shaped implant can avoid the "ball" look that you are concerned with having.

Discuss this with your surgeon.

William Bruno, MD

Natural appearing breast implants

Little Bigger Illinois:

It is difficult to determine how your proposed surgery will turn out without having the luxury of reviewing pre-operative photographs, examining your native breast tissue, or knowing the placement of the implant as proposed by your surgeon. The above factors as well as the implant size/shape used, will all contribute to the "look" of the breast.

Having said that, we typically see breasts with a "ball" appearance if the implants have been placed in a purely submuscular plane through an axillary approach in a patient with minimal or no stigmata involutional atrophy. The preferred approach in my practice is a "dual-plane" approach through a peri-areolar incision. This technique, when combined with an appropriately sized implant for your body-habitus, will generally give an excellent breast appearance with a natural slope.

Best of luck !

Glenn Vallecillos, MD