I have had breast implants since 1978. I'm 66 years old, A recent ultrasound found free silicone. Mine are saline/silicone?

I do not have photos; however, I do feel a lump on top of the right breast. Ultrasound said no tumor or cyst. Could be a rupture or a tear in implant. Is "free silicone" dangerous if it is leaking? This has been a year now. No pain, swelling or discomfort; just that lump I referred to. Thanks so much!

Ruptured Implant?

Thank you for your question! I would suggest you go see a board certified plastic surgeon and seek his advise.  It seems like a ruptured implant!  Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel
Double Board Certified
Plastic Surgeon
Chicago
Hoffman Estates
Oak Brook

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

BBA

You need to see your PS or a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area. You sound like you have a ruptured implant.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Ruptured Gel Implants

Since your implants are 35 years old, it is safe to say that most likely you have ruptured implants. Discuss having them removed, or replaced with your Plastic Surgeon. It sounds like it's time for surgery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Ruptured Silicone Gel Implants

'Free silicone' refers to the fact that the silicone gel filling of the implant has penetrated through the scar capsule you formed around your implants 35 years ago. You do not need any further tests, as the ultrasound was conclusive of an implant rupture. It is not dangerous, and it is rarely painful or uncomfortable. However, It is likely that both your implants and breasts might not have the shape that they did when you first had your surgery. You would likely benefit from a revision surgery that would remove the old implants, scar tissue, and any residual silicone filling, and replace with new implants.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Silicone implant rupture

Dear Ms. Lynn,

Based on your description and the longevity since your surgery, you may have silicone breast implants rupture. Ultrasound may not be specific enough to look at breast implant rupture especially of silicone. You will benefit likely from having an MRI to ascertain whether or not you have a rupture. MRI is more sensitive in finding silicone breast implant ruptures.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS