What Type of Breast Implant Gives the Most Upper Pole Fullness?

A large diameter implant will give you the most upper pole fullness

Saline implants tend to have a stronger shape and firmer contours. A saline implant that has a diameter that is at least as wide as your breast will give you upper pole fullness. As the size of the implant gets bigger the higher the upper pole as well as the width.

Use the dimensions of the implants and compare them to chest dimensions. Depending on the volume of implant you want and the dimension of the implant will dictate the profile of implant you want to use.

Essentially, the bottom line is that larger and bigger implants give you upper pole fullness.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Saint George Plastic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Most implants in augmentation will fill the upper breast well

In breast augmentation the size and projection of the implant used depends on the natural dimension of the breast, and the volume and projection desired. To fill the upper pole of the breast the implant must be centered under the nipple, and be of a adequate diameter to reach and fully fill the upper pole. Increasing the projection of the implant will then increase the relative cup size.

Upper pole fullness is not generally a problem in augmentation, and in fact overfill is the typical problem. With an increasing implant size the lower pole often cannot expand to accommodate the implant. The result is a 'high riding' implant, again an over fill of the upper part of the breast. Also in cases of subtle capsule contracture the implant is pushed up and into the upper pole, again over filling the upper part of the breast.

The best way to ensure the breast is filled out well is to choose a look such that the implant is as full as the natural breast will accept. You can choose to go fuller, perhaps a high profile implant, however the result attractive to some, may not fit the description as 'natural".

peterejohnsonmd

peterejohnsonmd

Implants and fullness upper pole

Usually the larfger implants give more upper pole fullness. This also usualy  means a wider base diameter implant. Remember though, that all implants gradually descend, and the only way to maintain upper pole fullness is to wear a push up bra.  Because like everything else in the world, gravity works against you.

Implants and fullness upper pole

Upper Pole Fullness in Breast Augmentation

The newest generation Inspira Cohesive combines the higher gel fill ratio of the Inspira implant with form stable ultra cohesive gel.  The result is an implant which will not distort with gravitational forces and maintains its shape in the upper pole.

Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:
1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.
2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.
3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C or D cup” or "upper pole definition" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
 I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.  I hope this, and the attached link and video, helps.

How to fill the upper pole

Choosing a breast implant size appropriate for your frame, as determined by your plastic surgeon, is the best way to fill the upper pole with a "natural" look. The higher the profile of the implant, the more likely the upper pole will be filled. This is the best answer I can give you without any measurements.

Sirish Maddali, MD

How to fill the upper pole

Sirish Maddali, MD

The problem is usually too much upper pole fullness!

Hi!

A natural breast, no matter how perky, has a tear drop shape. A breast augmentation that is not well done, or breast implants that are too big, will give you a round, high, full, convex look on top. We usually try to avoid this because it looks fake, but believe me, it is very easy to do.

Also the shape of the breasts after a breast augmentation is mostly caused by how the operation is done, not by the type of implant. So go to an experienced plastic surgeon, and show him what you want to look like.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Hi!

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Bigger is fuller

Dear Mom,

In general, larger implants will give more upper pole fullness, saline filled implants will give more upper pole fullness, anatomic shaped implants will give more upper pole fullness.  So, a large, saline filled, anatomic shaped implant will provide the most upper pole fullness. 

Bigger is fuller

Dear Mom,

Breast implant with most upper pole fullness

Dear DBoyzMom,

With no other information from you, I would state that a round, smooth  high profile Mentor gel implant would would, forgive the pun, be "way up there" on my list.

Good Luck.

Dear DBoyzMom,

Good Luck.

Opinions vary a bunch on upper pole fullness from breast implants

When opinions vary so much, you find that the answer to your question is a matter of opinion. Many factors go into developing upper pole fullness and some of them are not as controllable as others. How a woman's body "carries" larger implants can make fullness fleeting.

Larger implants and sometimes a lift can be helpful. The question is usually whether or not the upper pole fullness will "stay put." The answer is sometimes.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon