Full C Cup Breast Implants Too Large for Petite Frame?

I'm considering having breast augmentation. I'm trying to determine the size. I was a full B cup, but since having my son, have actually lost weight and gone down to an A cup. I'm petite at 5 feet and 92 lbs. I'm considereing going to a full C. Would that be too large for my height and frame?

Choosing the right size breast implant.

See this video of mine on choosing a breast implant:

http://www.youtube.com/user/doctorteitelbaum#play/uploads/7/AK7K8TQfhAI

Basically, this is the answer: don't think about cup size. It doesn't mean anything. If you want to look pretty and natural and not fake, then you need to simply pick the implant that fits you. You buy the shoes that fit your feet, right? So why wouldn't you get the breast implant that fits your breasts?

Cup size varies according to the person's body frame

When choosing cup size for breast augmentation, you need to keep in mind that a 32C is far different than a 40C, in other words, if you are petite, a C cup will be proportional to your petite frame because your circumference of your upper torso will be small to match your frame. A C cup volume will vary with the person's frame. To determine what a C cup would look like on your frame, you should meet with the prospective surgeons that you are considering and he/she should be able to help you understand what results you would achieve.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Sizes - I Agree with Dr. Teitelbaum

It is difficult to get an accurate idea of the size of breasts a woman wants strictly by bra size. Different bras can be sized quite differently. It is better to speak with your doctor about the size that is best for you with the help of before and after photographs.  My gallery of breast augmentation before and after includes images of 100+ women.  Some  women describe themselves as a C cup, while others might describe an almost identical results as a B cup or a D cup. Using before and after images as a means of communicating with your plastic surgeon will help you achieve your goals. 

I think finding a plastic surgeon who shares your aesthetic sensibilities is also very important. If you are looking for a natural looking result, find a plastic surgeon who shares your ideas. If you are looking for extra large breast implants, there are plastic surgeons who specialize in larger breast implants. 
Take a look at Dr. Teitelbaums videos and my videos about this issue. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Selecting Breast Implant Size

That depends on what you consider a “full C”. Cup size is not the best way to determine the appropriate size of the implants as there is no standard bra. The best thing you can do is bring in photos of the look that you are trying to achieve and discuss your options with your plastic surgeon. The best way to end up with a good result is to start with similar expectations.

Jeffrey Weinzweig, MD

Range of sizes for breast implants

Many measurements will be taken at the time of your consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. All this information will help to give you a healthy range of sizes for your implants. Trying on implants might be a good way of getting an idea on your new shape.

Hope that helps!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

How Big Can Petite Frame Go?

How big can someone with a petite frame go while still looking natural? The answer is different for everyone, depending on their body. Your doctor has to measure two things to answer this question.

Imagine lying on your back and drawing a circle around your breast. If you draw a line across that circle, it will be a given length. (The length of a circle is called a “diameter”.) This is a measurement that your plastic surgeon will take. The length of this area of your chest is called the “base width diameter” (BWD).

For women, the base width diameter ranges from 9.5 cm to 16.5 cm (3.75 inches to 6.5 inches). As you can see, there is a very wide range.

A smooth breast implant is circular, and has the same measurement as your BWD. So if your BWD is 12 cm, that tells us that your implant cannot be more than 12 cm. It won’t fit. So the BWD determines the max size of the implant, length-wise.

Then the question becomes, how much volume will this implant have? We’ve measured its length, now let’s measure how far out it will project. That projection is the Profile, which comes in low, moderate, full (high), extra full (extra high).

A moderate profile will fit into most women. For the implants with more volume, high and extra high, whether they will fit depends on how much your skin can stretch. The stretchiness of the skin is based on genetic factors, weight, age, and whether you have had children. A woman who has breastfed will have looser skin. That means it can be stretched further and have room for a high profile, if that is what she wants.

For the most part, the implant size and volume is limited by these two measurements: your base width diameter and how loose your skin is. It tells you how much you can max out on. As long as the breast implant is kept within these measurements, you will have a beautiful, natural look, even if you max out.

The “fake,” “top heavy” or “stripper” look happens when the patient wants an implant that is bigger than her measurements. If it does not fit her body, it will look unnatural. So as long as you stay within your measurements, you do not have to worry about looking fake.

I hope that answers your question on implant size. It’s great that you’re doing this research. I always say that the best patients are informed patients.

You might also want to research your options for breast implants. Choosing the right implant is the number one concern among women considering breast augmentation. Did you know, there’s actually a way to select a implant shape, size, and profile that is perfect for you?

A term that I use with my patients for the perfect implant is the “Pony Implant”.

So what do I mean by “perfect”? Well, a Pony Implant has three qualities to it. First, the implant meets your beauty goals. For example, you want to your breasts to look fuller while still appearing natural.

Second, when you chose your Pony Implant, you walk out of your consultation 100% confident that you’ve chosen the right shape and size for you. In other words, you won’t be second guessing your decision, and you won’t be afraid of having gone too big or too small.

And third, after your procedure, you are thrilled with your results, and say, "I’m so happy. This is exactly what I wanted!"

That’s the Pony Implant. And the great news is that there is a simple process to go about finding yours.

This issue of selecting the right implant is so important when it comes to patient satisfaction or dissatisfaction that, again, I really encourage you to learn more about it.

Thank you for reading and best of luck on your journey!

William Rahal, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Breast size after breast augmentation

Picking the correct size breast implants is a very personal decision. It depends on your preferences, as well as the measurements of your frame, and the elasticity and strength of your tissues. It is difficult to advise you of the correct size without an in-person consultation. Try to find photos of women with your body type who have implants that you like. Bring these photos to your plastic surgeon to see if they represent a realistic surgical goal. Good luck.

Lara Devgan, MD, MPH

Try on sizers!

Patients should try on sizers before surgery to see what they like.  It is impossible to determine what your personal perception of the right size is without you trying the sizers on for yourself.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Full C cup too large?

Thank you for your question. Without a picture to see it is difficult to answer your question. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon can give you more information about how large an implant your breast can handle comfortably. There is no correlation between a certain implant and a cup size so picking the right implant prior to surgery is very important.  Good luck with your surgery!

Mark Deutsch, MD

Implants & Petite Figure

It’s always difficult making decisions about breast size without performing a physical exam or seeing pre-operative pictures. In addition, the patients underlying anatomy and personal preference for size and shape must be considered.

It’s important to choose breast implants that fit your body. These implants should have harmony, balance and proportion with the surrounding structures.

Unfortunately, cup size is not helpful because it means different things to different people. For these reasons, it’s important to find implants that fit your body.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon