Brazilian Butt Lift Side Effects and Complications

What kind of side effects or complications can happen after Brazilian butt lift? How will I know if I am experiencing any of these side effects?

Potential Complications of Brazilian Butt Lift

A surgical complication, by definition, is an unwanted event that cannot be prevented or anticipated. Every medical procedure, including surgery, has a known set of complications. If you are not willing to accept such events, you should not be having the procedure / operation because the surgeon cannot tell you if you will or will not have the complication.

A Brazilian Butt Lift is a procedure in which usually large volumes of fat are liposuctioned from several parts of the body and transferred to augment and shape the buttocks. As such the complications associated with it will be the ones involving anesthesia, surgery, liposuction and fat grafting. These include: death, bleeding 1-2%, infection 1-3%, pain, asymmetry, prolonged swelling, areas of numbness, clots in deep veins (DVT) which may go to the longs (PE), loss of grafted fat ("non take") visible hyperpigmented scars among others.

Dr. P. Aldea

Side Effects For BBL

• lumpy
  • bumpy
  • too big(more graft survives than what patient may have desired....rare).
  • too small( not enough fat obtained at harvest or not enough survived the transfer process)
  • persisting cellulite( dimpling may be resistant to correction, especially if it is associated with deformities acquired fro
  • trauma such as IM injections, accidents, etc. ).
  • persisting asymmetry( @ side continues to look different size or shape from @ other).
  • infection( typically a small abscess where some fat may have not survived)
  • donor sites left with residual deformity/laxity or looseness

Brazilian Butt Lift-- Generally Quite Safe

Although the Brazilian butt lift is generally considered a safe procedure, complications can occasionally occur.The vast majority of complications are related to the liposuction portion of the procedure and can usually be managed with additional liposuction.
Areas of concern include bleeding, infection, anesthesia problems, fat necrosis and decreased sensation.
Complications can be minimized by consulting a board certified plastic surgeon with experience performing this procedure.The procedure is associated with high satisfaction rates and improved quality of life.

Brazilian Butt enhancement

Will start with your second question, how you will know if you have a complication, If you feel something is NOT RIGHT see your plastic surgeon, any excessive or late swelling, redness of the skin, elevated temperature, swallen legand pai, difficulty breathing , chest pain. SEE YOU DR. OR GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM.

Potential complications typical of most surgeries

1. swelling and bruising is normal and expected
  2. numbness is expected and should resolve within a few weeks
  3. more serious problems include blood clots or fat particles traveling in the blood stream (shortness of breath, chest pain, massive leg swelling all of which should prompt you to seek immediate attention in an emergency room and contacting your plastic surgeon) and infection (increasing pain, redness, fever, drainage) which you should also report immediately to your plastic surgeon.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Side Effecs Of A Brazilian Butt Lift?

Thank you for your question! With any surgery they all come with there own risks and complications.  Make sure you and your plastic surgeon discuss all of the pre and post OP, follow all post care directions and you should be fine. Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel
Double Board Certified
Plastic Surgeon
Chicago
Homman Estates 
Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. I'm glad that you ask as it's very important to understand the risks associated with any medical procedure.

A Brazilian butt lift combines liposuction and injecting fat into the buttocks.

Risks of liposuction include under or over correction, contour irregularities, and infection.

Injection of fat into the buttocks can be associated with bleeding, infection, embolism of fat into the lungs.

Thankfully these complications are rare, but it's important to understand that these complications do occur. Make sure to have your procedures performed by board-certified plastic surgeons.

Brazilian Butt and Complications

Brazilian butt lift (fat transfer to the buttock) is the best option in my opinion because it has the fewest complications. Liposuction is performed over several areas depending on the individual patient needs, but typically of the flanks, abdomen, back and thighs. This fat is then used for the augmentation.

The benefit of the Brazilian butt lift is that it lets your surgeon use your own body tissue to augment your buttock. This avoids the need for any foreign material or implants.

I would recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon that performs a significant amount of these procedures so they can help guide you to the surgery that will be best for you.

Complications after a Brazilian Butt lift

A Brazilian butt lift is a safe and effective procedure that combines liposuction of the abdomen hips waist and back and then fat grafting to the gluteal region. This is a safe and effective way to contour the lower body. Like any cosmetic surgery, this procedure does have known complications which include infection, a collection of blood or fluid, melting away of some of the fat that was transplanted, asymmetry, skin changes, and need for additional surgery or grafting.

Keep in mind that your ultimate results will depend on the surgical technique that was used in the experience of the surgeon. For this reason it is best to only work with a plastic surgeon who is board certified by the American Board of plastic surgery who has a great deal of experience in liposuction, fat grafting, and gluteal augmentation.

Risks associated with Brazilian Butt Lift are this of liposuction, with a few additions

Hi there-

first of all, it is important to realize that, as my colleagues have stated, ALL surgery will have risks you should be comfortable with before proceeding.

The key is to minimize these risks for yourself by choosing a surgeon, facility, and anesthesia provider carefully and maintaining your good health, and following you preoperativr and postoperative instructions conscientiously.

Under these circumstances, the risks should be quite low for a healthy patient.

The specific risks have been outlined below and so I won't repeat them, but of you would like some advice on minimizing the risks through careful decision making, please read my article on choosing a plastic surgeon (part 2)