Going Bra-less After Implants?

Is a Bra Required to Be Worn Threw out Having Implants?

I allow my patients to go braless after breast implant surgery

After breast implant surgery, I actually prefer my patients go bra-less.  This is because I want the force of gravity to help the breast implants settle into a natural position. I find that when my patients go bra-less, the implants drop faster and look more natural faster.

Post-Op Care Needs To Be Individualized

There doesn’t appear to be a consensus amongst plastic surgeons regarding use of bras following breast augmentation surgery.Many plastic surgeons tell their patients it doesn’t make a difference, while others tell their patients that bras are an absolute necessity in the postoperative period.Unfortunately, there’s no scientific studies that clarify this issue.
A complex relationship exists between breast tissue, wound healing, breast implants, and gravity in patients who have undergone breast augmentation surgery.It makes sense that breast implants can exert significant downward pressure on the soft tissue of the breasts.Over the course of time, this might lead to soft tissue stretching and bottoming out of breast implants.
For this reason, we feel it’s appropriate to wear a bra for support following breast augmentation surgery.This is especially true when larger implants have been used and placed on top of the pectoralis muscles.
It’s important to realize that each patient’s situation is unique.For this reason, postoperative care should be individualized.Under these circumstances, it’s appropriate that you discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon.Your surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that’s appropriate for you.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

I do suggest wearing a bra after breast implants

Each surgeon may differ with postoperative recommendations and wearing bras post augmentation.  In general, I suggest that all of my patients wear a bra as much as they possibly can.  The implants will certainly setlle on their own over time, I'm typically not worried about accelerating this process.  What I DON'T want to happen is ongoing gravity affecting the shape and appearance of the breasts, and the best way to combat this is through support - via a bra.  Certainly, an occasional event without a bra is understood, but to constantly go braless is just asking for gravity to take your breast shape and drag it down.  It will not happen instantly, but it will happen over time.  The implants basically act as a small (or large, depending on the size of the implant) battering ram constantly putting pressure and stretch on the lower portion of your breast tissue and skin, and your breast tissue and skin will lose that fight every time.

So, if you want to avoid seeing your plastic surgeon for a breast lift for as long as possible, wear a bra.

Samuel Sohn, MD

Going Bra-less After Implants?

Let's face it the female breast is not a structure which is known for its ability to resist sagging and drooping. Time and gravity will beat the perkiest pair of breasts every single time.

So - what you are essentially asking is - "If I add a lot more weight to my breasts (IE the implants) do I need to wear a bra after wards?" Well - as every one who has watched a Roadrunner cartoon would tell you, every time you are handed a heavy object (such as an anvil or boulder in the case of Wylie Coyote...) you are NOT going to float up but are going down faster.  Adding weight to a structure is is naturally prone to sagging, makes it MORE prone to sagging.

If you want to keep the perky breast appearance longer it would be prudent on your part to combat gravity in any way you can. Wearing a bra is probably the most straight forward way to do so.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Bra after breast augmentation

Every surgeon is a bit different with regards to wearing a bra post-op.  I prefer patients wear a wireless bra until sensation comes back to normal in the lower pole of the breast expecially if I have used an inframammary incision.  This usually means about 6 weeks in my practice.

You Will Probably Be Wearing A Bra After Implants

Disclaimer: Every surgeon has different post-operative instructions, or preferences, regarding post-operative care. You should listen to your own surgeon

These are my post-op instructions:

Immediately after surgery, the patient is placed in a surgical bra that is given to them. The surgical bra will provide support and be snug but not tight or compressive. Additionally, the surgical bra will not have an underwire.

At the one-week follow up, I instruct my patients to continue wearing the surgical bra if they like it and/or are comfortable with it. That said, they can wear any sports bra they like as long as it is snug, provides support for the breast, but not be too tight or compressive, and does not have any underwire.

The reason you don't want an underwire is because the underwire can dig into the incision while it is still healing. This could create complications, which is something that all patients and doctors want to avoid!

The patient can return to a wired bra once the incision has healed. This is typically at 4 to 6 weeks. By this time, the patient will have had their one-month follow up. At this time, a patient may also go bra-less if she is more comfortable with that.

I hope that answers your question on wearing a bra after surgery. It’s great that you’re doing this research. I always say that the best patients are informed patients.

You might also want to research your options for breast implants. Choosing the right implant is the number one concern among women considering breast augmentation. Did you know, there’s actually a way to select a implant shape, size, and profile that is perfect for you?

A term that I use with my patients for the perfect implant is the “Pony Implant”.

So what do I mean by “perfect”? Well, a Pony Implant has three qualities to it. First, the implant meets your beauty goals. For example, you want to your breasts to look fuller while still appearing natural.

Second, when you chose your Pony Implant, you walk out of your consultation 100% confident that you’ve chosen the right shape and size for you. In other words, you won’t be second guessing your decision, and you won’t be afraid of having gone too big or too small.

And third, after your procedure, you are thrilled with your results, and say, "I’m so happy. This is exactly what I wanted!"

That’s the Pony Implant. And the great news is that there is a simple process to go about finding yours.

This issue of selecting the right implant is so important when it comes to patient satisfaction or dissatisfaction that, again, I really encourage you to learn more about it.

Thank you for reading and best of luck on your journey!

William Rahal, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Going bra-less

Thank you for your question. I often recommend that patients find a sports bra that opens in the front and that is comfortable to wear. They can take breaks during the day and I also encourage breast massage after a week. It is important for your implants to move around and develop a comfortable space (or capsule) within the breast.  Going bra-less is an option.  I do find that swelling may take longer in this instance to resolve.  More importantly, I would follow your surgeon's instructions as they know what was done during the surgery.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Bra after breast augmentation

It is best to listen to the advice of your surgeon, however I advise patients to wear a bra day and night for at least eight weeks after your surgery.

After you've recovered, wearing a bra will provide support and minimize the risk of sagging, but you won't have to wear a bra all the time.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Bras are necessary after breast augmentation

For at least 2 weeks it is necessary IMO to wear a bra and when I use an implant bigger than 350 or so, I have recently gone to an underwire bra 24/7/8 weeks to help heal the implants in place.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Implants

Each surgeon has his or her own opinion about this topic. I have patients wear a bra 24/7 for one month. After that day time for 2 months. Thereafter as they choose, but recommend wearing a sports bra during exercise. Sometimes I vary this advice based on the looseness of the patient's tissues and the size of the implant.

Michael Hueneke, MD