8 days post op Thermitight under my chin. Should I still have this amount of swelling? (photos)

Should I still have this amount of swelling and should I apply heat to improve circulation.

Post operative Swelling After ThermiTight

Thanks for sharing the picture it really helps us help you.  The area under the chin is one of the more dependent areas that edema and local anesthesia will accumulate.  There may be more if small amounts of liposuction are also used for fat transfer.  I do not see anything that alarms me.  Symptoms of concerns would include uncontrolled pain, fever or worsening redness.  The more you are up and around getting back to your normal activities the better.  Please consider sharing your post op pics and progress to give others a piece of mind.

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling 8 days after thermitight

It is not unusual to have a small amount of swelling at this stage in your healing from thermitight. I would not apply heat to the region as this may increase the overall swelling. If this is persistent I would return back to your physician that performed the procedure so they can evaluate the area and see if there is any reason for concern.

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after ThermiTight

Thank you for the photo and your question. Though I do not have  a pre-treatment photo for comparison, the swelling that I see would be fairly normal after a ThermiTight procedure for the neck. This will resolve with time, though gentle compression and heat can be helpful. In my practice, we use a dressing similar to that for facelift patients. This is applied nightly for a week or so.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling Post ThermiTight/ThermiLift

Yes, it is possible. I have seen swelling last from a day or two to about 10 days. Heat can certainly help but just give it time and it will resolve.

Carlo P. Honrado, MD, FACS

The amount of swelling you have is not unusual

Having done a fair number of these procedures in my practice, I can say with good certainty that the amount of swelling I see in the photo is not at all unusual. Swelling will vary from patient to patient depending on the internal temperature used, the amount of time spent treating the area, and the tissue layers that are treated.  Treating just below the skin's surface (sub-dermal) does not typically result in much swelling. However, when the subcutaneous fat layer is also treated, it is fairly common to have some firm swelling in the area for up to 2 months. If the deep layer of fat is treated (under the platysma muscle) then swelling can be slightly longer in duration. I have found that circular massage is the most helpful maneuver for speeding resolution. If you develop a hard knot, your doctor may also consider injecting a dilute steroid to aid the process.

Brock Ridenour, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling is very common with ThermiTight treatments. but the swelling seems a little excessive. I would consult with the surgeon who performed the procedure. 

Yadro Ducic, MD
Fort Worth Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after ThermiTight for neck and face tightening

Although ThermiTight can tighten one's sagging neck without surgical cutting, it does involve introducing a thermal probe after local anesthetic is injected.  The heat tightens the tissues but swelling is caused and in my NYC practice, I have seen ThermiTight cause swelling that lasted two weeks, and in rare cases even more.  Bruising also can occur.  For the right candidate it is a procedure that can provide an excellent cosmetic result in neck and facial tightening and lifting without cutting or sutures being involved.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after ThermiTight

The degree of swelling varies from patient to patient but is mostly due to the settings used. The higher the temperature settings, typically the more the swelling. I think some heating pad and light massage will help and of course follow up with your doctor too

Julio Garcia, MD

Swelling after ThermiTight

From your photo it does not look like too much swelling after a ThermiTight procedure -- that being said make sure you see the doctor that performed the procedure to assure that this is not a hematoma (accumulation of blood), seroma (accumulation of fluid), or infection, which would be very unlikely after a ThermiTight procedure.  Cool compresses are helpful to bring down soft tissue swelling after any kind of procedure.  

Kian Karimi, MD, FACS