I am 22 years old. I have facial hair only on my moustache and chin. Nothing on cheeks. Can I use minoxidil?

The hair I have on cheeks and side burns is veryl thin and doesn't grow. I have thick hair on chin and moustache. My father can grow a full beard. All of my relatives have very good beard. So I think it's not genetics. will minoxidil work for me?

I am 22 years old. I have facial hair only on my moustache and chin.

Greetings Thank you for your question, the best would be to get a beard transplant minoxidil might not work for all patients. However you should try minoxidil and see if you will get your desired look if not then you can try beard transplant.  

Beard growth

Many young men want to accelerate their beard growth and ask about it. It takes age (genetic triggers which occur in family lines) so if you want to find out when your beard will grow out, you need to find out when your father or grandfather started to grow their beard. Hormones should have kicked in nicely by the time a man reaches 18 but he must wait out his genetics as hormone alone are not responsible for the onset of beard grown. Beard transplants can be done when the young man is a bit older (over 25) if the beard has not grown in yet

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon