I Think I Have Basal Cell Carcinoma on my Chin?

I've had a crusting, never-healing sore on my chin, on the fleshy pad bit, just under my lip and slightly to the left, for over eleven years. Don't ask me why I never got it seen to, I'm so filled with regret now that I suspect it might be bcc. As its been going on for so long, I'm now terrified any surgery would be horribly disfiguring. Would it potentially take my lip away? Or even bone?

Doctor Answers 8

BCC chin

Lindsay.  Even if it's been there for 11 years, sometimes these BCC don't grow as rapidly. Also the chin is an area that is not as difficult to reconstruct compared to other sites.  Go in with a positive attitude.  It might not be as bad as you think.  I've had tons of patients who come in thinking they were gonna lose and ear or nose just to have a pretty minor surgery.

Seattle Dermatologist

What if I have basal cell cancer on my chin

First, stop worrying and beating yourself up. No matter what it is, that's not going to help. Second, make an appointment with a board-certified dermatologist (and Mohs surgeon if you can find one) and have the site biopsied. Only then will you know for certain what the site is or is not. At that point you can discuss options, should you need them. Mohs surgeons are skilled at reconstructions. That's part of the training. So there's a lot that can be done to minimize "disfigurement" as you call it. But until you know for certain that what you have is a BCC, no one is even sure you need to have Mohs done.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD
Las Vegas Dermatologist
4.6 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Basal Cell Carcinoma on Chin?

Thank you for your question. Basal cell carcinomas are typically very slow growing cancers, and may not be noticed by a health care provider or the patient for months or sometimes several years. Every case decision must be made on a patient by patient basis. I would recommend having your lesion examined as soon as possible. Often times, reconstruction options are available that with good aftercare may leave minimal scarring, depending on the size of the tumor. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist
3.9 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

You might also like...

Basal cell cancer on the face - Los Angeles

Start out by obtaining a biopsy by a board certified skin cancer expert. After the diagnosis is made, then the next step of planning surgery and reconstruction is performed. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 94 reviews

During an examination the dermatologist will be able to biopsy the area to determine if your sore is in fact cancerous.

It’s of upmost important to have the affected area examined immediately by a board certified dermatologist as early treatment is the best way to not only avoid cosmetic issues, but also ensure the best outcome and reduce the risk of cancer metastasis.  During an examination the dermatologist will be able to biopsy the area to determine if your sore is in fact cancerous. If it is indeed BCC it’s important to find a skilled Mohs surgeon who can provide you with effective and safe cancer removal.

Joseph R. Payne, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

A biopsy will make the diagnosis

Pick up the phone and make an appointment to see a board certified dermatologist, preferably someone who is also a member of the Mohs College.  The first step is to determine what the growth is so that the appropriate treatment and cure is selected.  If this is a neglected BCC on your chin, Mohs will probably be the treatment of choice.   Go to the MohsCollege.org to find a fellow in the Mohs College to do your surgery.   Make that appointment!

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

Next step

If you have a growth on your face, it should be evaluated by a dermatologist and he or she can advise you if it needs to be biopsied or not. That is best next step.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Get an appointment for a dermatologist soon

I would recommend you get this evaluated by a board certified dermatologist as soon as possible. Given your story, it may well be a basal cell carcinoma. I understand how frightful this may be to you but delaying it will only make the cancer grow larger. If the dermatologist finds it to be worrisome and biopsies it, and it is a skin cancer, they should refer you to a Mohs and Reconstructive surgeon who can treat it with surgery in a way that minimizes how much skin you lose (take the cancer out and not a lot of normal skin). Make sure this person is a member of the American College of Mohs Surgery and has done a fellowship in Mohs Surgery. Good luck.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.