When to remove surgical tape? (Photo)

Had a BA a week ago and my DR used periareolar incision. How long should you leave the tape on that's places over the incision ? I've notice there is dry blood under the tape.

Breast Augmentation Post operative care

Follow your doctor’s advice. We tend to leave it on 1-2 weeks then use a scar maturation product topically that is silicone based afterwards. See the below link for post op instructions I give to my patients

Surgical tape

I like tape for 4 weeks
followed by topical silicone therapy for 4 weeks
followed by IPL if needed

Arian Mowlavi, MD

When to remove surgical tape after breast augmentation?

You need to ask your plastic surgeon for advice on when to remove the surgical tape and do not rely on the Internet advice.

That said I often allow the Steri-Strips to fall off is usually with showering the Steri-Strips peel back and lose their adhesion.  I prefer not to pull them off for fear of disrupting the incision.

Tape?

It looks like you have steristrips which are placed to support the incision after suturing.  Please check with your surgeon on when to remove the tape.  Often surgeons will tell patients to let the tape separate on it's own and fall off when it is loose.  We have been using Dermabond, a skin adhesive instead of tape.  We prefer this as it seals the skin immediately, allowing patients to shower after surgery. 

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

When to remove surgical tape?

"Whenever your surgeon says too!" But really you do not expect us to handle your post op care over the chosen operative surgeon, do you? In my patients I personally remove tapes after a few days... 

When to remove surgical tape?

It is best to address this question with your Surgeon. I prefer removing tapes several weeks after the surgery.

When to remove tape after breast augmentation?

Each surgeon will have their own preferences, so rather than giving you my opinion I would suggest just asking your surgeon what their specific protocol is and when to start using any scar therapy. Best of luck.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Care of incisions after breast augmentation

I generally have my patients where tapeFor as long as six weeks after surgery to help diminish scarring. The initial tape may be changed at one week and after that 

When to remove surgical tape

I usually have my breast augmentation patients wear the surgical tape for as long as it is intact with no visible discharge to help create a nice smooth scar. However, surgeons vary how long they want patients to wear them, it is best to ask your surgeon.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

When to remove surgical tape?

Every surgeon utilizes his or her own protocol for the management of incisions and dressings following surgery. I would follow your surgeons advice. In my practice, we leave the initial surgical tapes on for about a week and then I'll do the first tape change. After that, I ask patients to continue to tape for several weeks changing the tapes weekly. This tape supports the incisions and helps the scar heal in the best possible fashion. We also recommend that our patients use SkinMedica's Scar Recovery Gel twice per day starting on the day after surgery. By using microporous tape, the gel penetrates to the wound to good effect. Enjoy your beautiful result. Best wishes.

Kevin L. Smith, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon