How Long After my Surgery Do I Have to Wait to Pick Up my 20 Lbs Baby?

I'm scheduled for my BA on Sept. 16th. The only question in my mind and making me think I should wait is how long do I need to wait to hold/pick up my 20 lbs baby? I plan to put him in daycare for the first 2 weeks and my Husband will be here before and after daycare. But I know it will be hard for me not to pick him up. How "bad" will it be if I pick him up? Will I mess anything up? If I just listen to my body and not pick him up before 7 days, like my PS said will it be OK? Thank you!

Lifting after a breast augmentation

Since there are probably no scientific studies on how long to wait before lifting following a breast augmentation, it is more a matter of subjective judgement by your surgeon.  No one knows for sure when it is safe, but I ask my patients to wait two weeks before lifting a 20 pound baby.  For another two weeks, you should keep your elbows to your side while lifting.

Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

The longer you wait to lift your baby, the less risk of problems

As others have explained, the risk of lifting a 20 lb baby is causing a bleed that can require more surgery.  There is no absolute answer to your question, but most of us err on the side of caution.  It is far easier to avoid a problem than to treat one that has occurred.  Your surgeon is the best source of advice for this type of question.  I ask my patients to wait six weeks before heavy lifting, even if you are feeling well.  Best of luck. 

Lifting Baby After Breast Augmentation #breastimplants

Thank you for your question. This is clearly something personal to each surgeon. I do not let my patients lift anything more then 20 pounds for 6 weeks after a breast augmentation. That number is specific to research that shows that scars do not regain their full strength back until after weeks 6. I have further limitations on heavy lifting if implants are beneath the muscle as well, but you should ask your surgeon what they want.

Richard J. Brown, MD

How Long After Breast Augmentation Before Lifting 20 Pound Baby?

Discuss this with your surgeon prior to surgery.  This all depends on how you feel and recover.  It is best to have some help with the baby for a couple of weeks.  You can hold your baby, but avoid lifting as long as your surgeon recommends.  Best wishes for a fast recovery!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Lifting Your Child Post Breast Augmentatio

You should avoid heavy #lifting and strenuous activity for six #weeks. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!! It may require the full 6 weeks before you can do any upper body work-outs, yoga, etc.

Lifting little ones after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. You definitely want to follow your own surgeon's post-op activity instructions. This is a general guide I give to my patients as to the recovery
Week 1) Discomfort and tightness level progressively decreases with each day. Swelling decreases a great deal after one week. Most people return to work in some capacity.
Week 2) Unlikely to need any narcotic support except maybe at night. Swelling and tightness continues to improve compared to week 1
Weeks 3-6) May need tylenol or ibuprofen for intermittent discomfort. Swelling completely resolved. Tightness may continue as the implants over an additional few months into their final position.

As far as activity, here is a safe guide:
1) No heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 6 weeks (a gallon of milk as a guide).
2) Resume walking at a leisurely pace right after surgery (e.g. 2 mph)
3) At 2 weeks, you can walk 2 miles at 2mph
4) At 3 weeks, you can walk 3 miles at 3mph
5) At 4 weeks, you can walk 4 miles at 4mph
6) At 5 weeks, you can jog 5 miles at 5mph
7) At 6 weeks, you can resume all activities, but listen to your body and use discomfort or tightness as a guide so you don't over do it.

So as far as the little ones, I would recommend having help for basic needs like lifting into the car seat. You can cuddle with them while you are sitting down, but you should avoid the tendency to multitask with one child in your arms while you are busy doing other tasks.

6 weeks

You'll most likely not be able to lift anything until about 6 weeks after your surgery. However, please ask your surgeon as they may have different advice.

When can I lift my 20lb baby

After a breast augmentation, I typically ask my patients to not lift anything 15lbs or heavier for about 4 weeks.  I know it's hard to not lift your little one but you are risking a hematoma.  You can also hold your baby and play on the floor or your baby can be placed in your lap and you can hold and play that way, it will go by quickly and if very doable!  Listening to your body is also very important and don't push yourself, but most importantly listen to your surgeon and if you have concerns or questions don't hesitate to call the office and ask.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Lifting and breast augmentation

I usually have patients wait several weeks to pick up a baby.  I will often tell patients taht the young child can climb on to them as opposed to be lifted out of a crib after a few weeks if the patient is feeling OK. Remember "the enemy" of what we do is a hematoma, and lifitng heavy things can increase your blood pressure.