Could fillers help my asymmetrical jaw? (photo)

My jaw has always bothered me. It's defined on one side, but not the other. Straight on pictures always look off because of this. Would fillers improve this at all or is a jaw implant the only option? 2nd picture is how I would like it to be.

Doctor Answers 8

Fillers Instead of Jaw Implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If your problem can be corrected with an implant, it can be corrected with a filler like Juvederm Voluma. This filler is strong enough to hold the tissue and lasts for generally over 2 years. The filler is also an excellent way to determine what you need to do and if yu will like the results.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetrical jaw - what options exist

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
A jaw implant would be permanent (which isn't always good because while you are young now, as your body ages around it, permanent implants can end up looking very odd later on). However, a jaw implant would be a one-time thing. Other options like Botox and fillers would need to be repeated. Botox can be used to soften the muscle on the side that is more pronounced (assuming it's the muscle and not the bone structure that is creating the asymmetry). Or you could have fillers in the other side to make that side as prominent as the other. I would recommend Voluma for this area. Consult with a board-certified injector physician in your area to discuss your options.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Could fillers help my asymmetrical jaw?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Absolutely I would recommend Juvederm's VOLUMA 1 or 2 syringes should do the trick . Be sure you use expert filler doctor... 

Asymmetrical Jaw

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
there are a lot of options for you, but you will need an in person consultation.  It is hard to tell if your masseter (the chewing muscle) is larger on one side than the other.  Botox can correct this.  If it is a structural issue, then fillers such as Radiesse or Voluma and/or surgical procedures like implants or jaw reshaping are options.  There are many possibilities, but likely no one treatment will cure this without a formal proper evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 203 reviews

Fillers along the jaw line

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It is difficult to tell from the photos, but in general, fillers can be used to improve asymmetries in the jaw (mandible). Many types of fillers may be used. Usually, if you are filling along the bone, a firmer filler is used. Some physicians may use radiesse which is calcium hydroxylappetite and becomes very firm. I prefer something like Voluma, which provides a very good lifting capacity but since it is a hyaluronic acid filler, can be dissolved if the patient is unhappy for any reason. This specific filler is currently only 'approved' for the midface, but we have had success in this area. I would recommend discussing with a surgeon, in person, so they may be able to evaluate if this is the best thing for you.

David Reinstadler, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Filler or chin implant?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Asymmetry of the mandible or maxillary is usually corrected by orthographic surgery especially when associated with malocclusion. Small irregularities could be helped by fillers but this is only a temporary fix. 

Asymmetric jaw

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You appear to have a congenital ma fibulae asymmetry as opposed to muscle or salivary flange imbalance. Skeletal problems are best corrected with implants. I believe that is you best option. Implants are not necessarily permanent. Facial implants can be removed easier than fillers. Unfortunately many surgeons have no experience with them. Patients' surgical options are frequently limited by their surgeon's skill set which then influences their advice to patients.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetrical jaw

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Obviously a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be in order but I think you have three options that jump out at me.  First, fillers would be an option but you would probably need a fair amount of filler and they don't last very long.  You would need to replenish them from time to time.  Second, you might get Botox injections into the masseter muscle on the opposite side, assuming that it is prominent.  This would have the effect of making the fuller side of your face more lean.  Finally, there are actually implants that can be inserted into that area of the jaw to give it better definition.  This would require a surgery to insert them but the result would be permanent.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.