Why is my face still peeling 3 weeks after a short series of superficial chemical peels?

I did a series of 3 superficial glycolic peels and my bunny lines are still peeling 3 weeks later. Also, I have been wearing a hat and SPF 70 sunscreen, but I noticed after days outside, the peeling is worse. Do I just have sensitive skin or am I doing permanent damage when I go outside?

Thanks for your query. It is okay for the skin to peel after a series of glycolic peels. The skin takes time to heal and this is the recovery phase for the skin. Just apply moisturizer and keep your skin hydrated and protect from sun. If the peeling is more just apple desonide cream for better healing. Hope it helps

All The Best

India Plastic Surgeon

Glycolic Peel

Thank you for your question about glycolic peels. Chemical peels work by gently removing the top layer of dead skin cells.  Often skin cells may have a hard time "sloughing" off, especially when you have oily skin.    Often as these dead skin cells build up, the pores become deeper and harbor more sebum (oil), and cause the pores to be "clogged".  Glycolic acid is a "keratolytic", which helps to break up keratin, the component in skin cells.  A series of Glycolic acid peels may help to slowly break up the dead skin cells, which will in turn cause the pores to be more shallow and less clogged.  It is important to do this somewhat gradually and by a trained clinician, to avoid skin irritation.  Once the "dead skin cells" are removed, newer more fragile skin is now exposed.  It is vital that you are gentle with this "new" skin.  Cleanse gently, no scrubbing, and moisturize regularly.  Avoid sun exposure and ensure you are wearing SPF and hats when exposed to the sun. 
To be sure, see two or more experienced, licensed and board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS