Allergan or Mentor Implants?

Trying to decide what brand to use, for a 500cc silicone high profile implant? Is one brand better than the other? Does one have more benefits than the other? And is it true that the Allergan is just a little bit wider and projects a little bit less than the Mentor? (not by much but it does?)

Differences between Mentor and Allergan

Every surgeon has his or her own preference with implants.  Some like Mentor, some like Allergan.

The implants are very similar.  There are slight differences, but the differences often seem like do you prefer Coke or Pepsi.

That is not to say that there are subtle differences.  I use both brands in my practice and feel that there are sometimes subtle advantages for some individuals where one brand might give a slightly better result.

I would refer you to Mentor and Allergan's websites to see the exact dimensions of the implants.  For any given sizes the width and projection are listed and you can compare the differences.  Usually the numbers are very close.

My best advise to you would be to find a surgeon that you trust and that you feel can deliver the results that you desire.  He/she probably has a brand preference that he/she is more comfortable using.  If he gets better results with one brand, you are likely better off by going with what he/she is used to using than insisting on him using a brand that he doesn't typically use.  

In other words, the differences between the two brands are subtle in my opinion....

I hope this helps!

Best regards.

Allergan or Mentor Implants?

Both companies are reputable with good products (similar characteristics and warranties).  

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

Allergan or Mentor Implants

i tend to use Mentor based on my experience, service and familiarity. However the implants are relatively comparable and presented remarlably similar data to the FDA for approval

Which implant to choose for breast augmentation: Mentor or Allergan?

Both companies are FDA approved and both are used by plastic surgeons in this country. To me, the shell of the Mentor saline implant is slightly thinner than Allergan and may affect the feel after surgery. I have not done any formal studies to confirm this, but the shell of Allergan implants definitely feel thicker to touch.

Other than that, I think they are both equivalent.  I think more importantly is to choose an implant which fits your body dimensions and skin thickness.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Brands of Breast Implants

The brand of implant is not as important as the volume and profile of the implant.  Both Mentor and Allergan make basically equivalent implants.  In your consultation with your surgeon, you and discuss which range of volumes and profiles would be appropriate for your anatomy.  With this information, you and your surgeon can make an informed decision about which implants are best for you.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Allergan or Mentor implants

It is a personal preference of the surgeon. Really no difference. Like A Mercedes or a BMW, both are great cars but which do you like?

From MIAMI DR. B

Pick the surgeon for breast augmentation not the company (Mentor or Allergan)

Both Mentor and Allergan make exceptionally good products. Both also make many different styles, shapes and sizes. It is the job of the surgeon to know all these differences and to pick the one that will give you the look that you are looking for. Therefore, pick the surgeon for breast augmentation not the company.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Allergan or Mentor Implants? Yes

There are some subtle differences in the dimensions of Allergan vs. Mentor implants, but otherwise they are pretty much the same. Many plastic surgeons who do a lot of implant surgery favor one or the other brand because they have a contract with that company for maintianing inventory and other conveniences. Utlimately, the choice will come down to either selecting a surgeon you trust and going with their recommendation, or fine-tuning the implant choice based on your own measurements and the size (volume) you want. This would be done in close cooperation with your surgeon, who will take base diameter and other factors into consideration.

Richard Baxter, MD

Allergan vs Mentor

Coke or Pepsi?  I think they  are really very similar products with in my mind no signficant difference.  Surgeons usually choose the company they use for implant based upon reliability and service.

Mentor vs. McGhan (Allergan) implants

I don't think it matters as I have worked with them both for over 16 years. Allergan has a better warranty

sek