Do I have an abnormal wide gap between my breasts and will a BA help with cleavage? (Photo)

I have a wide-ish gap in between my breasts. I am currently a Victoria's Secret size 34 b. I am really wanting cleavage and I am scheduled for a BA size 425cc. Do you think that I will have cleavage afterwards? Anyone have a before and after photo of patients with a similar build?

Will improve

your cleavage will improve however you will still have a larger gap than most other patients. Unfortunately, this is just your anatomy.  If you feel the area of your gap, that is your breast bone and the implant cannot be placed too close because its bone there.  You will have your gap reduced a little with an implant however your overall breast footprint is more lateral (outward facing) then most other patients. Regardless, you will have a nice result. The cleavage that you are seeking is more easily achievable in patients who already have a lot of cleavage.  Consult with your plastic surgeon to discuss expectations and outcomes.

Getting more Cleavage out of your implants

If you just move the implants towards the center without also moving the areola with them then your will look "cross-eyed". It is relatively straight forward to do both using a mastopexy technique.

Do I have an abnormal wide gap between my breasts and will a BA help with cleavage?

Thank you for the question. Careful breast implant pocket dissection and careful selection of breast implant size/profile will be necessary to address your concerns about the space between the breasts. Of course, there may be some anatomic limitations as to how closely the breast implants can be placed, without risking breast implant malposition complications.
Ultimately, in person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be necessary. Careful measurements, dimensional planning, and careful communication will be key.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. Given your concerns, I would suggest that you spend additional time with your plastic surgeon; ask the same question of him/her regarding the use of ultra-high-profile implants and the greater projection that results from the use of these breast implants.
2. Again, have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. The use of computer imaging may be very helpful during this communication phase.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery. The use of temporary intraoperative sizers, viewing the patient's breasts in the upright and supine position, are very helpful during the breast implant selection process.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Breast Augmentation and Cleavage

Cleavage is determined by two factors: breast fullness (specifically upper pole fullness) and breast placement on the chest wall.

While volume can be influenced by breast augmentation, the space between one's breasts is a fixed variable. This gap is determined by the width of a patient's chest (sternum) and the insertion of the pectorals muscle. An implant cannot be forced any further medially than is allowed by the medial border of the muscle. One way to address this is by avoiding sub-muscular placement. However, this approach has it's own unique costs and benefits which must be considered in each patient.

As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Donovan Rosas, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Implants alone will not help

Your picture shows that nipple location is very lateral and implants can not move it medial. I offer my patients fat grafting and implants to achieve the cleavage enhancement. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Cleavage after Breast Augmentation

The width of the gap between your breasts is genetic.  A BA should help improve the appearance of the gap but you will not have cleavage without support.

Wide gap can be improved with breast augmentation

The key is the correct model/width given the person's "gap" and breast dimensions. The best way is to have a surgeon that is an expert to assist you to achieve the look you desire.  

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

The gap between your breasts is pre determined by the width of your breast bone. However the fullness of breast implants will improve cleavage but the space between will be the same.

Thank you for your question.  Breast implants can certainly help with cleavage in addition to providing upper pole fullness.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Consider Nipple Position

Your breast are separated.  Your nipples are at different levels and the are positioned to the lateral position of your breast mounds.  Other comment s regarding pectoralis muscle attachments creating the width are valid, however, you cannot force your implants to the mid-line, next to your breast bone to create cleavage, because then your nipples will be to the side of your implant's point of maximal projection and will look like they are even further to the side of your breast mound.

Be careful what you ask for.  Often the implants has to be placed under where your breast actually sits on your chest and your bra has to do some of the work to push your breasts medially to create cleavage.

Gordon Telepun, MD
Decatur, Alabama