Air in Chest Cavity After Augmentation, Should I Be Concerned?

I am 17 days post-op. I noticed it immediately after surgery but assumed it would be absorbed or something to that effect. Now I have begun to massage my breasts and realize it is still there. I can feel it and it makes a noise when it moves around.

Most definitely, if the air is truly in the chest cavity. You would only know this by having an x-ray or someone listening to your chest with a stethoscope. You probably have air in the breast cavity, which is entirely different. It is normal for there to be some air and crunchiness for the first few weeks. Do not worry. This will subside with time. Good luck.

Air in Chest after Breast Augmentation?

Yes, what you are experiencing is quite common after breast augmentation surgery.  Air  “bubbles” can be trapped in the soft tissues (crepitus)  or around the breast implant ( creating entertaining noises). You will find that this does resorb  and you should be “noise free” within a few weeks.

Is Air in Tissues after Breast Augmentation Normal?

Because surgery is done in room air, it's normal for air to get trapped inside. The body slowly absorbs it. Double check with your plastic surgeon to be sure that's what's going on, however.

For advice during early recovery after plastic surgery, click on the link below.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Don't be concerned with air bubbles

The sound and sensation of air bubbles around breast implants is common following breast augmentation.  The sensations go away by themselves, but it can take a little time.

Tell you doctor about it when you go in for follow-up, or call if you feel like it is getting worse.

Subcutaneous air

Subcutaneous air occurs during the pocket dissection. This small amount of air is usually absorbed in a few weeks.

Air after aug

give it time.  many people hear a sloshing sound or some crunchiness after augmentation. it will go away  . be patient.

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Air bubbles in chest region after breast augmentation surgery

It is not uncommon to feel what my patients sometimes call 'crunching noises' around their breast region after breast augmentation. This is from the surgical procedure and is harmless and will correct itself over several weeks after surgery. Be sure to follow-up with your surgeon and point this out if it persists.

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants

Air in the tissue that you can feel, like crackling bubbles, is common and resolves slowly over time.  Unless you are short of breath, I would accept this as normal.  Air in the pocket around the implant can cause strange noises. This is also common and will resolve over time.....not to worry.  All the best, "Dr. Joe" Gryskiewicz 

Air bubble after breast augmentation

It is possible that a small amount of air is trapped inside the saline breast implant after your augmentation, and is will disappear over time. Air around implants will stay only a very few days before it dissolves into the tissue.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Air bubble

This Is perfectly normal and will disappear in the next few weeks. It is from air and fluid (irrigation, local anesthetic, serum, etc) in the pocket which will be naturally absorbed over time.