Adult Teeth Coming in Without Tooth Enamel.

My 7 yr old son's adult teeth are coming in yellow and without much enamel on them. His teeth are sensitive to cold and hot foods. What are the treatments for children for teeth in this condition? I was told that when he's older we will have to crown them. Thanks.

Doctor Answers 5

Consider using ACP

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

To confirm a diagnosis of Amelogenesis Imperfecta (AI), usually a genetics test is necessary.  However, AI can also be diagnosed based on other signs that may be present, such as:

  1. Dry or "kinky" brittle hair
  2. Dry skin and/or eczema or psoriasis
  3. Dry eyes
  4. Brittle fingernails
  5. Tooth structure that literally flakes off upon instrument contact

There are several types of AI, and if enamel is present, then your son would benefit from amorphous calcium phosphate (ACP).  ACP is a milk-based dentifrice that will help improve the structure of any remaining enamel.  It is important to implement ACP as soon as possible so that the enamel that your son may have can be strengthened so that it doesn't flake away.  Speak with your dentist about ACP and whether your son would benefit from it. There are products available that contain both ACP and Fluoride.  Also, consider reading more information about AI online so that you are fully prepared for the extent of dental treatment your son may need in the future.

Manhattan Dentist

Protect the teeth while your son is growing up...

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

While crowns and fluoride may help, the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) is now suggesting that fluoride may not be as effective in this situation as we first anticipated. The thickness of the protection provided may not adequately keep the tooth strong.

GC America has a product called MI Paste which offers bio-available calcium that can be brushed gently over the teeth and help to remineralize the outer layer. This also offers protection from acids. Ask your dentist if they offer this product.

Randall LaFrom, DDS
San Jose Dentist

Not much but ...fluoride treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There is not much to do in this case BUT fluoride treatment.
If the teeth are really sensitive you might want to try PREVIDENT.
Thank you,
Dr. Barba

Antoaneta Barba, DDS
Santa Ana Dentist

You might also like...

Care for Teeth without enamel ( amelogenesis imperfecta)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Most probably your son has a condition called Amelogenesis Imperfecta which results in improper formation of enamel which is the protective layer of the tooth. The teeth are usually soft, brittle, more prone to fracture and decay. Treatment most of the time is to leave the teeth as they are in childhood and crown them during adulthood. If the teeth are too sensitive, your dentist can apply some fluoride varnish or desensitizer. At home care sholud include proper brushing, rinsing and flossing. Also avoid extreme temperature changes in food ie niether too hot nor too cold. Visit your dentist every 3 months for regular checkup.

Dalvir Pannu, DDS
San Jose Dentist

No treatment is sometimes the best treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If the condition is amelogenesis imperfecta (no or little enamel) then there is really nothing to do.  The teeth may be more brittle and prone to fracture or not very resistant to decay, but there isn't much to do other than fluoride treatment...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.