Skin Tightening Laser for Turkey Neck?

I am 50 years old. About five years ago I shed all my excess weight (more than 75 lbs) perhaps a little too quickly. As a result I have a very mild "turkey" neck which no amount of stretching or exercise will address. My stomach got wrinkly too, but the neck is my first priority. Is Titan laser the way to go to address these problems?

Skin tightening laser for turkey neck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I want to congratulate you on doing the really hard work of losing the weight. As to what to for a turkey neck, you have several options all depending on a diagnosis. If your turkey neck is just loose skin, then you can get a good result with Ultherapy. Even better would be a newer treatment combining Ultherapy, which uses ultrasound to tighten, and ThermiSmooth, which uses precision controlled RF energy to create skin tightening.

But if there’s any fat left in that turkey neck then your best choice is ThermiTight. ThermiTight uses a smart RF probe below the skin, inside the loose turkey neck skin, for a deeper tightening and some fat removal as well. I just published a study on ThermiTight in the February issue Journal of Drugs in Dermatology.

It is a safe effective treatment for tightening skin around the neck and jowls. Please take a look at some of the ThermiTight pictures on my RealSelf page.

Laser neck lifting

Unfortunately, there isn't any non-surgical way to tighten the skin on the neck to any significant degree. At 50 years old and after massive weight loss, the elasticity of your skin is inadequate to shrink more than it already has. The excess can be removed in a cheek and neck lift with a beautiful result done by the right surgeon with a 2 week relatively painless recovery!

Laser neck lift

Surgical neck lift is the most effective treatment of turkey neck with significant skin laxity.  Although external application of laser may sound appealing, at this point the results are modest at best.  An alternative would be a laser assisted liposuction, such as SmartLipo.  The laser is passed in the subcutaneous tissue through tiny incisions.  This procedure may offer more effective skin tightening for patients with mild to moderate skin laxity.

Kambiz Jacob Cohen-Kashi, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Unfortunately, will not work.

Hi.  We have seen a lot of women like you, and the reality is that non-invasive approaches don't work for this problem.

So you do need a little surgery:  probably just an isolated neck lift done through a short incision under the chin.  The good news is it's only a one week recovery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Skin Tightening Laser for Neck After Weight Loss

Congratulations on your #weight loss. Without photos, it's difficult to determine if a non-surgical treatment will address your concern. Also, it really depends on the amount of #sagging you are experiencing.  The presence of banding down the front of the #neck, and, amount of excess skin and condition of your skin are among some factors which determine if you are a #candidate for #rejuvenating the neck. During an in-person examination, your chin will be evaluated along with the neck and jawline. A weak #chin implies a lack of chin support for the skin along the neck line. In younger individuals a chin implant alone is usually all that is needed to improve the appearance of the neck. Subsequently, it will also improve the overall #balance of the face and can create the illusion of a smaller nose. As a stand-alone procedure, chin augmentation can be performed in the office under local #anesthesia. For individuals with signs of #aging in the neck, a chin implant added to one of the recommended procedures above, will provide optimal results.

The best neck #lift surgeon will evaluate both your anatomical features and aesthetic goals to determine which neck lift procedure best suits your individual needs. In some cases your plastic surgeon may give you more than one option to choose from. If you are not a candidate at the time of your #consultation, your board certified plastic surgeon can recommend non-surgical alternatives to address your concern.

Non-Surgical Necklift Option: Ultherapy

If you're looking for non-surgical neck-tightening options, I recommend Ulthera (Ultherapy). Using ultrasound technology, Ulthera uses focused ultrasound to lift and tighten loose skin over time, without any downtime. However, nothing can quite compare with the fantastic results of a surgical necklift. Non-surgical procedures have to be repeated to maintain the look you want - which means that in the end you'll likely end up spending as much as you would have on a necklift, which is longer lasting.

Neck contouring

Ultimately, a surgical neck lift would be your best option. This procedure could include tightening your underlying musculature to give you a better contour and also removing the excess skin laxity. Together this allows for a much better neck contour. In some instances, some liposuction is also beneficial to reduce the submental fullness.

However, if you are looking soley for a non-surgical solution, I am finding that the combination of Kybella to reduce the sub mental fullness and an energy device to tighten the skin are among the best non-surgical combinations to help your neck concerns.
kybella is an injection procedure that dissolves the fat an may require between 2-4 treatments spaced 4-6 weeks apart. There is some swelling and bruising potential, with the greatest amount with the first treatment.
As far as energy devices, I would recommend Ulthera if you are looking for something with no downtime, or Profound if you could tolerate some downtime. Ulthera is an ultrasound based energy that heats the underlying tissue and stimulates collagen in response. Profound is a radio frequency microneedling device that allows for the creation of Elastin, collagen and hyaluronic acid and hence restores some of the lost elasticity in the neck. It has more visible downtime with the possibility of some swelling and bruising that diminishes in about a weeks time.

I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who has the portfolio of non-surgical options in your area who can help explain the treatment options for you and the limitations of each option, both surgical and non-surgical.

ThermiTight for neck and abdominal tightening

ThermiTight is a great alternative to a surgical necklift in the appropriate candidate. It can produce excellent skin tightening results that allows someone the option to avoid a surgical procedure. There is a limit to how much skin laxity can be treated with ThermiTight so you would need an evaluation to determine if this device is right for you.

The Thermitight procedure can also produce very nice results in the abdominal region. It is important to remember that it addresses skin laxity and produces tightening by stimulating collagen production. If there is underlying fat that is contributing to the fullness then this will need to be addressed with liposuction. Both procedures can be done simultaneously if it is determined that this is the appropriate treatment for you.

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non-Invasive treatments vs surgery

From your information at 50 years old and excessive weight loss it is not realistic that you will get the result you are looking for from any non-invasive (office based) procedure.  Skin tightening or collagen building lasers and treatments work best preventative, results for corrective treatment are minimal at best.   It sounds like you would be a better candidate for a neck lift.  Any less done time or money invested in non-invasive treatments can seem convenient but you might be better off in investing in a more permanent solution in the long run.

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Neck LIft?

I tell me patients that nothing currently is effective for lifting the neck except surgery.  As with anything marketed by major companies, occaisionally there may be someone who gets a noticeable result, but those are few and far between. 

Benjamin Bassichis, MD, FACS
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon