How Bad Do Breast Implants Look After Having a Child?

I want breast implants now. I don't have kids yet but want kids. But someone told me the implants don't look as good after pregnancy. Is this true? How bad will it look? Is it better to get them after having a baby?

Breast Implant After Having A Child

You wrote, "someone told me the implants don't look as good after pregnancy." I am almost certain that this "someone" was not a doctor, so you can dismiss that comment.

No, pregnancy will not "ruin" your breast implants.

Whether you have implants or not, pregnancy and breastfeeding will do things to your body. When you are pregnant, your body releases more hormones. You will gain weight. The skin will be stretched by the pregnancy weight and lose some elasticity.  After childbirth, your breast will deflate and your skin will be looser.

There are two major unpredictable factors surrounding these changes. First, the DEGREE that these changes (looser skin, deflating breasts) will occur is unpredictable. And second, it is unpredictable whether these changes will warrant a procedure. Therefore, it is impossible to predict whether you will need a lift after pregnancy and breastfeeding. But note that If you already have a breast augmentation, the implants will not affect those factors.

If you want implants now, and can afford them, get implants now. There is no need to wait. 

I hope that answers your question on how implants look after pregnancy. It’s great that you’re doing this research. I always say that the best patients are informed patients.

You might also want to research your options for breast implants. Choosing the right implant is the number one concern among women considering breast augmentation. Did you know, there’s actually a way to select a implant shape, size, and profile that is perfect for you?

A term that I use with my patients for the perfect implant is the “Pony Implant”.

So what do I mean by “perfect”? Well, a Pony Implant has three qualities to it. First, the implant meets your beauty goals. For example, you want to your breasts to look fuller while still appearing natural.

Second, when you chose your Pony Implant, you walk out of your consultation 100% confident that you’ve chosen the right shape and size for you. In other words, you won’t be second guessing your decision, and you won’t be afraid of having gone too big or too small.

And third, after your procedure, you are thrilled with your results, and say, "I’m so happy. This is exactly what I wanted!"

That’s the Pony Implant. And the great news is that there is a simple process to go about finding yours.

This issue of selecting the right implant is so important when it comes to patient satisfaction or dissatisfaction that, again, I really encourage you to learn more about it.

Thank you for reading and best of luck on your journey!

Breast Implant After Having A Child

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Pregnancy and breast implants

The implants don't change, although occasionally capuslar contracture can occur with pregnancy. Rather, it is the breast tissue that changes by enlarging, shrinking, or sagging. Changes are not predictable. It is the combination of the breast changes superimposed on the underlying implant that produces the unaesthetic appearance.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Pregnancy and breast implants

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Breast implants after pregnancy

It is hard to predict what any pair of breast will look like after pregnancy. Some look perfectly fine, some look a bit saggy, and still some look awful. I think it is multifactorial:  genetics, weight gain and loss, quality of the tissues, etc..

Breast implants after pregnancy

Breast changes after implants and pregnancy

There is no crystal ball to know how your breasts will change after pregnancy. Those with bigger breasts to start with and in whom greater stretching occurs will have a worse look after pregnancy that those who have less breast tissue. Gravity and lost elasticity work against some more than others.

Family Planning & Breast Implants

The #results of the breast #augmentation may be compromised if it is done before pregnancy. Many women undergo breast procedures to #restore their breasts to the way they looked prior to pregnancy.  Therefore, if you experience weight gain, pregnancies, or any other drastic body altering changes, it is very possible the results may be compromised. 

There is no way of knowing what a #pregnancy will do to the results of an augmentation. Therefore, it is best to wait until after your pregnancy and nursing to undergo an augmentation.

Family Planning & Breast Implants

Breast Implants After Pregnancy

There is no way to predict how your breast will look after pregnancy. It depends on several factors such as breast size, skin elasticity, genetics, and weight gain. If you are planning on getting pregant within the next year it may be best to wait until after pregancy to get breast implants.

Breast Implants After Pregnancy

Depends On Timing-- It May Be Best To Wait

If pregnancy is planned in the near future, breast augmentation should be delayed until the breasts have returned to their new baseline.This typically takes about six months following the completion of breast feeding.In contrast, if pregnancy is planned in the distant future, it would be reasonable to proceed without delay.

The presence of breast implants should not impact the ability to breast feed.It’s important to remember that pregnancy impacts the breasts with or without breast implants.These changes vary from patient to patient following breast augmentation and pregnancy.Some patients are minimally impacted while others note sag of their native breast tissue, loss of breast volume and stretch marks.These changes are probably not related to the breast implants, but instead, are related to the natural biologic tendencies of the breast tissue.In other words, loss of breast volume, sag and stretch marks would occur even if breast implants weren’t present.

If significant changes occur following breast augmentation, a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon should be scheduled.Revisional breast surgery, such as implant exchange and breast lift may be necessary, but should not be undertaken for at least six months following completion of breast feeding.

Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing exactly how a woman's breasts will change over time and/or with pregnancy. Much of the changes that do occur will depend on factors such as genetics, weight gain/loss, skin elasticity changes, positioning of the breast implants ( for example submuscular versus sub glandular) etc.
Some of the changes in breasts seen after pregnancy are related to the changes in breast skin and glandular size/shape/positioning; some of the changes are related to changes in position of breast implants. Much of the changes that will occur are not within the control of the patient or surgeon. However, maintaining a stable weight during pregnancy ( under the guidance of your OB/GYN) may be helpful.

Breast implants, breast appearance and pregnancy

Hi Britni,

Every woman's breasts respond differently to pregnancy. Some patients with breast implants have multiple children, breast feed all of them, and, as a result, develop droopiness that requires a breast lift. Other patients with implants do the same thing and have virtually no changes in their breasts.

Bottom line - if you are unhappy with the appearance of your breasts and want an augmentation, you should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the pros and cons of surgery. Most women opt to proceed with breast augmentation rather than delay for an arbitrary amount of time.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Hi Britni,

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Breast Implants Before Children

The appearance of breasts with or without augmentation is completely unpredictable following pregnancy and breast feeding. Some women's breasts change minimally whereas others change drastically. I wouldn't let this stop you now. Get the implants and enjoy your new look. When and if things change later you can address it then.

Breast Implants Before Children