Can Brazilian Butt Lift Be Combined with Tummy Tuck or Lipo?

Can I combine the Brazilian Butt Lift with Tummy Tuck and Liposuction? If not, which one should I get first?

Brazilian butt lift and tummy tuck timing for surgery

I don't recommend doing a brazilian butt lift and a tummy tuck at the same time. The Brazilian butt lift should be done first and then after 6 months you can have the tummy tuck if necessary

In my practice, I perform butt reshaping very frequently. To answer your question in regard to having multiple procedures done at the same time, including a tummy tuck, you have to understand what involves the postoperative recovery of the fat transfer procedure to the buttock area and what the procedure is about. The fact is that as much fat as possible is needed to reshape the person’s butt and make it proportionate to the body frame. In other words, fat will be taken from the abdomen, flanks, back, and axilla among other areas. Now, after surgery, you can’t sit constantly on the buttock for approximately 10-14 days to make sure the fat is not damaged. If going to the bathroom, the person can just sit for 5 minutes. That’s it.

Now, let’s think about the tummy tuck. You will have an incision on your lower abdomen that will hurt so most likely you won’t be able to lie on your stomach for some days. Let’s say you have a tummy tuck and a Brazilian butt lift. You won’t be able to lie on your back due to the Brazilian butt augmentation nor on your chest because of the tummy tuck. In other words, your recovery will be unbearable.

This is not a matter of having multiple procedures done at the same time. In fact, multiple procedures at the same time like a tummy tuck and a breast surgery (Mommy makeover) could be done but not together with the Brazilian butt lift. In my practice, I perform the Brazilian butt lift first, harvest as much fat as possible, and then do a tummy tuck at least 6 months after the procedure, if the patient needs it. This will depend on how your skin will respond to liposuction.

In my practice, some of my patients have indicated me that certain surgeons recommend having multiple procedures done with the buttock augmentation.  On further questioning, they even recommend having a tummy tuck and also the butt augmentation while the patients are on their back on the surgical table. Injecting the butt with fat when the patients are lying on their back is a bad idea. You will need to be on your chest for the surgeon to visualize the areas of deficiency and inject the buttock properly. In addition, if you take into consideration the surgical implications of both procedures, you come to the conclusion that it is not possible. For example, when you close the incision for a tummy tuck, many times the patient’s belly needs to be bent forward to excise the excess abdominal skin. Consequently, this will prevent the patient from lying on the chest for the buttock procedure once the tummy tuck is done.

Understanding the postoperative recovery is as important as the surgery itself. In conclusion, I do not recommend having any procedure done in addition to the butt sculpting procedure since you will compromise your recovery and long-term results

Combining Brazilian Butt Lift with Tummy Tuck or Liposuction

Hi there-

Liposuction is, in fact, a critical component of the Brazilian Butt Lift technique, in which fat is removed from areas where it is not complementary to the patient's figure, and grafted into the buttock area for an improved shape. I am of the opinion that combining a tummy tuck with this technique is not in your best interests (although it may be in the surgeon's) for the following reasons: in order to get the very best outcome from Brazilian Butt Lift surgery, we need to harvest as much fat as possible through liposuction. Often, one of the best sources of fat is the abdomen. Unfortunately, liposuction of the abdomen at the time of a tummy tuck compromises the blood flow necessary to heal after the tummy tuck, and so doing a tummy tuck at the same time would significantly limit the amount of liposuction that could be done on the abdomen. Also, in order to graft fat back into your buttocks, we need to place you on your abdomen- NOT a position I would want any of my recent tummy tuck patients to get into. If we remove less tissue from your abdomen than we normally would in order to allow this positioning, then your abdomen won't look as good as it could have. So you can understand that doing these procedures together (tummy tuck and brazilian) compromises the outcome of both- not a good idea. Better to get the best outcome from one, and then do the other.

Brazilian Buttock Lift Can Be Combined With Tummy Tuck

But I am in 100% agreement that laying on the new fat grafts (which you will need to do after tummy tuck) may cause some loss of volume or shape.

I have done a number of combined cases and suspect this may have been a problem a few times.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Combination TT and BBL

In my practice it is most common for me to perform all of the procedures you mentioned at the same time. I use an assistant to save total operative time with the goal less than 6 hours of surgery (often far less than that) to minimize potential complications and for a speedier recovery. My patients following a TT with or without a BBL stay in a reclining chair the first week. The benefit is only one surgery, only one recovery (you heal from all procedures simultaneously) and that you can use the fat that would normally be discarded from the tummy tuck. Pros and cons of this decision should be part of your in depth consultation with your plastic surgeon. The most important decision is picking the best plastic surgeon experienced in this technique.

Brazilian Butt Lift with Tummy Tuck or Lipo not recommended

Yes - it COULD - but I would not recommend it.

If you are a good candidate for a Brazilian Butt lift, your surgeon would need to liposuction fat from elsewhere for grafting to your buttocks. The commonest area for getting the fat would be your tummy. So the operation would start with you on your back having your tummy fat being suctioned and then processed for loading into small syringes.

A tummy tuck at this time would not be safe since the blood supply to the tummy skin could be seriously damaged when the skin is now lifted after having been liposuctioned. In addition, not a lot of loose skin could be taken off since you would need to be put on your tummy afterwards (instead of being woke up in the beach chair position) for the back procedure.

I would recommend you have one OR the other first. Which one to go with would depend how much fat would be needed for your buttocks. If a lot would be needed, I would recommend doing the Brazilian Butt Lift first. If a small amount of fat would do it, I would do the tummy tuck first since it will narrow your waist and give a better idea of how much fat would be needed for a good Brazilian Butt Lift result.

Hope this was helpful.

Combining BBL with Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question. Yes, combining a Brazilian Butt Lift with a Tummy Tuck is very common. However, recovery will be more of a pain and sleeping will be a little more uncomfortable. Keep in mind that you will be very sore from the Tummy Tuck and Liposuction. Sleeping on your stomach the first week is not going to workout. Sleeping on your side would be the best option. If you sleep on your back you can suffocate the fat that was transferred to the buttocks. As long as you have help at home the first week of recovery, having both surgeries should work out. You do not want to be in this recovery alone with no help. Otherwise, knocking them out in one day is is an option. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 
Double board certified
Plastic surgeon
Hoffman Estates 

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and bbl - best as staged procedures

Thank your for your question. A tummy tuck can address the skin and muscle laxity of the abdominal region as well as reducing the excess fatty tissue. A brazilian butt lift helps to shape the buttock by borrowing fat from one part (or several) and transferring this fat to another. They are both extremely rewarding procedures. The best approach for a patient who wants to have both procedures is to stage them and possibly start with the BBL. Here is why:
1) A brazilian butt lift is transferring fat from one area to the buttock. One common donor area is the tummy. Once the fat is transferred, you need to keep pressure off the buttock as this allows new blood supply to develop to the newly grafted fat cells. Any stress such as pressure can reduce the efficacy of this process and hence you may lose some fat. Hence, no sitting or laying on your bottom for ~2 weeks.
2) A tummy tuck is removing excess skin and tightening the muscle as well as remove extra fat. To make the skin removal efficient and protect the incision, you surgeon will often remove skin while your hips are flexed. You will need to maintain this position after surgery for about a week. This will required you to sleep in a recliner position for a good week. In addition, l often combine liposuction of the abdomen and flanks as part of this procedure and once this fat is removed, it cannot be stored for the brazilian buttock lift in the future.
Since the recovery process for these two popular procedures compete, I would recommend staging them. If you are surgeon is needing as much donor areas to recruit as much fat as possible, then I would start with the brazilian buttock lift so you can use the abdominal and flank regions as donor areas. The BBL may range around ~8-12 K depending on how many donor areas are required to achieve your desired volume. The tummy tuck is ~8K.

Yes, it is common to combine these operations but the risk of surgery goes up with the increase in number of procedures. Seek a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Thank you for your question . 

I had made a video to address your question. 

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Brazilian Butt Lifts and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Tummy Tuck with Brazilian Butt Lift

It is sometimes a benefit to have a tummy tuck along with the brazilian butt lift. I these cases a lot more fat can be removed because the area where the tummy tuck is to be performed can be liposuctioned aggressively since the skin would be removed and there is no concern for skin dimpling.

So the procedure would go with liposuction of the abdomen and hips while on your back. You would be turned to do more sculpting and liposuction with the fat grafting to the gluteals. You would be finally turned supine again for the tummy tuck portion.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD