Can 550cc High Profile Breast Implants Look Natural?

I am 5'5" 130 lbs with 33" ribcage, 38C(low c) with 14.6cm breasts. I am soon to replace my current 350cc breast implants. I've had 2 kids in the last 4 years so there is some extra skin on one breast and mild sagging. I want to increase my cup size to a D with natural slope and want the crease under the breasts. My plastic surgeon suggested the hp 550cc allergan silicone but don't know if that will produce natural results.

High profile implants not typically the most natural looking

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Only you and your plastic surgeon can tell what is best, but the general rule is that high profile implants aren't able to produce the natural looking slope in the upper part of the breast for most patients.

However, if you truly want to go up a full cup size then an increase of 200 cc might be in the range of what is needed. With your external diameter of 14.6, the diameter of the Allergan HP 550 is appropriate. But that is big for someone your size, and you would need to accept that.

Natural is both shape and how the size of the breasts balances with the rest of your body.

High profile implants generally look less natural

If you are trying to have a natural look, I would recommend that you stay away from high profile implants.  The tend to look too round and give too abrupt of a slope on the upper aspect of the breasts.  From the measurements that you provided, you have a fairly wide chest which is another reason I would not recommend a high profile implant. I believe that the moderate plus profile implants provide a nice shape and good projection without looking fake.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants for a natural breast augmentation

For breast augmentation to be truly natural the implant must blend in with the breast tissue such that it is difficult to know that the implant is there. In the distant past we used thin walled low profile silicone gel implants, often just under the gland of the breast. The marriage between the breast and implant was very good with a soft huggable texture and 'flow'. The implants were generally smaller and covered well by the breast tissue. Why the change? Implant leak and rupture with resulting breast capsules was a primary cause. Also there had been a trend to a larger fuller implant.

The trade-off today has been an 'under the muscle' placement to reduce capsules and a saline implant or a thicker low leak cohesive silicone gel implant. Both can produce very nice and 'natural' results in a moderate profile, which will allow adequate volume, yet reduce folding or rippling which may be seen or felt through the skin. The under the muscle augmentation will prevent a visible upper edge and still result in a nice slope and 'S' curve from underarm to side of breast to fold. The saline and slightly stiffer cohesive silicone gel will still have satisfactory flow and be huggable.

The full implant you suggest can be natural, especially after wearing a 350cc implant that the breast has accommodated to well. Consider though that as the profile is increased the implant will no longer flow with the breast, kind of like having a mild breast capsule, the breast will sit up on your chest when you lay on your back at the beach. This can be a nice look, a little showy, not 'natural' but a look some like. Be sure to look at the implants, and consider what you will wear or not wear and take your time to decide.

Breast implant augmentation revision and going larger

I would agree with Dr. Rand in discussing the term "natural" results with patients. Natural is the cover of national geographic; AND NO ONE wants that result. When people say they want natural results, they really mean non-visible breast implants. The visibility of the impants depends on the amount of breast tissue you have and it sounds as if you have a loose breast pocket. It also depends on the size of an implant and 550cc is a large implant. SO it is difficult to say without an examination. However, it has generally been my observation that patients seeking larger implants prefer an implant that is about 50% larger than the existing size in order to appreciate the difference. This seems in line with your request.

Breast implant size

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Breast Implant size for natural looking results

Excessively large breast implants never look or feel natural, so the first important factor to consider is implant size. Not only do large implants look odd, they also stretch out breast skin and tend to become very droopy over time. Most patients with excessively large implants end up having multiple operations over time to address problems with implant position ('bottoming out', for example, where implants drop below the desired level of the inframammary fold), implant visibility, and overstretched skin. If the goal is a natural-appearing breast augmentation, then most patients will require an implant volume between 250cc and 450cc. A petite patient looking for a B-cup to C-cup transition may need a 275cc implant for example, while a tall, broad-shouldered patient looking for an A-cup to C-cup transition may require a 425cc implant.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Natural Augmentation with 550cc HP Implants

I'm not sure what you mean by natural. At 5'5" and 130lbs, a D cup breast size is not found in too many women who do not have breast implants. So in that sense, you are not going to look very natural. However, if you want large breasts where the implant is not visible, then you may be able to achieve that. This will depend on the amount of breast tissue you have. It is impossible for anyone to give you a good answer without having examined you.

From my experience, your description along with the fact that you've had two children and already have implants, I would guess that your breast tissue is more likely to be thin than full. As such, going to a 550cc HP implant will likely result in a less than natural look. Also, if you have loose skin and sagging, don't count on a larger implant to give you a "lift". You will be disappointed. You may need a breast lift or mastopexy. I suggest you speak with more than one plastic surgeon to get some more ideas. Good luck!

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

You will probably have a nice augmented look from breast implants

I think that the implant that your surgeon has recommended will probably help you achieve your goal of a D cup. How natural the shape of your breasts will be depends on how much extra skin and settling your breasts have after your pregnancies. A relatively large implant (such as 550cc's) will produce some fullness in the upper aspect of the breast, which most women like. This fullness increases with larger implants and with a smaller skin envelope (less loose skin).

The same can generally be said for the crease under the breast. I have found that women who are undergoing removal of old implants and placement of new, larger implants usually need to go up in volume 150 to 200 cc's to appreciate the difference. Will you have a natural look? Not entirely, but I think you will have a nice look.

Michael D. Yates, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Larger breast implants will not replace need for a breast lift

What you are describing is breast ptosis, or sagging, that is occuring over your implants. This is very common after changes in weight or after multiple pregnancies (like you have had). It sounds like what you need is a breast lift. This can be done over your existing implants, or over top of larger implants. If you desire to be larger, this can be done with larger implants, but you will likely still need a breast lift. Keep in mind that the larger an implant is, the heavier it is, and the more likely you will develop worsening sagging or ptosis.

A larger implant isn't the best solution for excess skin

Darla,

You have some laxity in your breasts because you have implants and have had children. Breasts go through changes in response to these stresses and I commonly see women who had larger implants placed in an effort to take up the excess skin. This rearely works and in fact the larger implants place even more stress on the skin and tissue causing more sagginess. I don't have the benefit of examining you and in Las Vegas it is not uncommon to use a 550cc and the definition of a natural result varies from person to person. The larger the implant you have the more it over powers the breast shape.

Dr Edwards