Are 360 Cc's Going to Be Big Enough?

I have my BA scheduled for Wed the 22nd. I am 5'2 120 lbs and currently a small 34b cup. I choose to go with 360cc's instead of 390cc's but am afraid of ending up too small. I want to be a full C. I am going with gels under the muscle and have read that you can loose a lot of valume by going under the muscle. Everyones results vary so much, I know 40cc's may not make a huge difference and it might be too late to change my mind as I already went to my pre op appt.

Are 360cc's going to be big enough?

Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance. Given your desires, a breast augmentation, with an implant or fat grafting, would be an ideal procedure that would meet your expectations. Breast augmentation is now the most popular procedure performed in plastic surgery today. One tolerated very well by women with minimal downtime and high patient satisfaction.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, etc). Your height, weight, breast width, and body habitus will make a difference for which implant style/projection to choose. Implant profile will also make a difference on the projection, which will influence overall breast/cup size. I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you of results. Sizers are helpful during an in-office consultation. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width. This is the most important determinant for the sizing of implants, which will provide the optimal result and most aesthetically-pleasing result for you.

Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon well-versed in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various options and factors to consider and help you decide which one will be the right one for you. Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

#IsMyImplantBigEnough?

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Implant Selection Process

You can expect a 360cc implant to put you in a full C/small D range and the 390 cc to put you in a D range.   In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Changing sizes from a B to a C

If your chest is a 34 then each 200 cc is 1 bra size change.  You said that you are happy with 360 cc and questioning whether you should use 390 cc.  The difference of only 30 cc's is 1/7th of a bra size change and would not be noticeable.  If you are a B cup then either implant size will make you at least a full C or probably a D.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Choosing implant size for your augmentation

Having done a lot of breast augmentations, I would recommend going with the larger size.  Most women are happy they chose the larger size after their augmentations. 

IMPLANT SIZE

This is a common question on RealSelf.  It is difficult for a surgeon to comment without photos and measurements.  If you have uncertainty about the size you have selected, I would contact your surgeon and try on the different sizes you are considering.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

There is not a lot of difference between a 390cc and 360cc implant. 7.7% difference to be precise.

It is difficult to say without knowing your base width diameter but judging only from your height and weight, 390cc is more likely to be a D than a full C.  If by full C, you really mean a D, then go with the 390cc.  Best wishes and good luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Should be fine.

Generally speaking, and certainly in someone of your build, about 200-250 ml will result in a one cup size increase.  You are trying to go up about 1 1/2 cup sizes, which would take an implant about 300-375 ml in size.  So, I think you are the right range.  Under the muscle placement may result in a slightly smaller look in the short term, until the muscle accomodates to the implant; but long term implant location will have no significant effect.  I think the choices you and your surgeon made should turn out just fine.  Good luck.

Choice of implant size

Given your frame and current bra size, I think you are safe.  Without seeing you and doing a full exam, this is difficult for me to know.  But, in general, a 360cc implant in someone as petite as you will definitely give you more than s standard cup size regardless of the implant pocket placement.  Good luck with the surgery!

Breast Implant Sizing?

Every plastic surgeon has a different method of selecting breast implants;  in my practice, you would not be responsible for making this decision.

What you would be responsible for would be careful communication ( verbal and with the help of goal pictures) to show me what your  specific goals are.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Although potentially helpful, I do not think that the use of pre-operative sizers and/or “rice test”  is a precise enough way to communicate goals.  As you can imagine, a breast implant size or placed on the chest wall will not necessarily create the same look as the same size placed on the rib cage ( below the pectoralis muscle).

In your case, why not  communicative  your goals clearly and allow your plastic surgeon to make the decision between the two sizes of breast implants INTRAOPERATIVELY?