Will 250-275cc Silicone Breast Implant Result in a C Cup?

I am getting Breast Augmentation done in 2 weeks. I am currently a 32A cup 5'2" 105 lbs and I would like to be a C cup.

My surgeon is talking about placing a 250-275 cc Silicone breast implant. Do you think that will get me to be a C cup?

The infamous C cup

Smilee,

If you feel like you believe these blogs more than in your plastic surgeon, you don't need another implant...you need another plastic surgeon.

Almost everybody your size wants a C cup. Well, almost everybody - some unique cases come to mind but it's good to hear that you want a reasonable result. We've all done patients your size, lots. This is a very tasteful choice and your plastic surgeon probably wants you to look classy so don't get too nervous by our blog comments.. we're just blogging and you need to trust a plastic surgeon that examined you. The implant sounds a bit small to me also, but again, I haven't examined you so he knows best. Another possibility is that you may have since gained a bit of confidence in the idea and now you're comfortable with a larger implant... that happens often.

You're an A and you want to be a C. Simple right? Not so. You should visit with your plastic surgeon while there's still time to resize. Sometimes i'll get patients to try on sizers in the office to get a feel for the implants she is choosing. She'll look through the photo album and find someone with her features and we'll know what implant that patient used. Lastly, a good communication tool is to bring in photos of girls with your figure and your desired breast size. This is just an estimate, you are not using it as a guarantee, but if you show your plastic surgeon a photo of a girl with what he sees as a D and you see as just right, then he'll be using a different implant.

Think of the comments that you made during your first consultation. Those are very important to me when I'm listening to my patients expectations. If you said "I really want them to look natural on my body" or "I just don't want them to be noticeable by everyone" or similar comments, then he's trying to protect you from this social circumstance while still filling your soft tissue envelope according to his physical examination (when he measured you). It is very common to be hesitant on the size you're picking and impossible for someone on this blog to tell you what size you should be using.

It's nice to hear that you've selected silicone, I think that's a good bet since your breasts will be more implant material than breast tissue so you want it to feel as natural as possible.

Best wishes on your augmentation, you're probably going to look great with whichever implant you choose. In general, patients with your build are the easiest augmentations to get a result that looks smashing.

Bra cup size determination or prediction following breast enlargement or implant augmentation

There are no absolutes and no charts that can accurately predict your breast size cup following augmentation. Your best option is to try a 250 sizer on now and then place a soft elastic bra over this to "predict" your final volume if placing the implant submuscularly (under the muscle). Use a 275 sizer if placing the implant under the gland and over the muscle.

Should you desire there are breast implant sizer kits available over the internet for purchase.

Then place a desired C cup bra over the combo (elastic garment +sizer) to preview your result.

A general rule is that 175-200 will take you up a cup size. However, I am sure that you realize that a Donna Karan size 4 is not the same as an Anne Klein size 4. The same goes for C cup bras.

Breast implant sizes and cup sizes.

Hi!

The implant sizes you are considering are reasonable estimates. For a woman of your size, 275 cc's will usually create a 2 cup size increase. But this is only an educated guess.

The important point is that it is not your responsibility to pick breast implants. It is your surgeon's responsibility. All you need to do is tell your surgeon that you want to be a C cup, which sounds like a good goal.

The final implant size should not be arbitrarily picked in advance. Your surgeon needs to have an inventory of different implants available in the operating room.

We put disposable implant SIZERS in the patient's breasts during surgery. That way we can actually see, with no guess work, which implant size gives you the nicest C cup. Then we discard the sizers, and open the correct permanent implants from our inventory.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast cup size

What is more important to answer your question is the proportions of your breasts and your chest measurements (chest diameter, breast width and height, level of nipples, etc). Many women are an A cup but are close to a B cup and at your height and weight you may be close to a C cup with a 275cc implant. It may not hurt to go a little larger if you would rather err on the larger side, BUT your surgeon after evaluating you skin elasticity as well as breast tissue (Pinch test) can let you know if this would "overstretch" the skin. Trust your surgeon or get a second opinion, but don't be afraid to let your desires be known.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Achieving a C Cup with Silicone Implants

Perhaps this may be helpful. Generally, if a woman wears a size 36 AB bra and would like to be a C cup, which is the average size that women wear and the average size bra that is sold, she needs a volume of approximately 350 to 390 cc to make that change. This becomes less if she's wearing a 34 bra, because it has a smaller strap size and the cups have a smaller diameter. A smaller diameter implant would then be a volume of approximately 300 to 350 cc. In the same way if she was more petite, maybe a double zero or size one and wore a 32 AB bra, then to become a 32C cup she would only require about 250 to 300 cc. The profile is determined by the amount of projection versus roundness that the you desire, as well as the size of the implant and size of your chest. Also, the placement or incision location will also have an effect on profile. Your Plastic Surgeon will measure you to determine the best shape, size and placement of the #implants to be used.

Do not focus on cup size

It is important not to try to chase a cup size as these changes depending on the bra type. More focus on shape and look should be placed. However to address your concern this is a small implant and will not make you a C if you are an A. You need an average of 150-250 per cup size. Best of luck!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Understanding Cup Sizes and Implant Volume

Cup sizes cannot be guaranteed. And the amount of volume to get a woman from one cup size to another varies from person to person.

About 120 - 140 cc’s is a bra cup size. This may be more or less depending on the patient’s measurements.

Imagine lying on your back and drawing a circle around your breast. If you draw a line across that circle, it will be a given length. (The length of a circle is called a “diameter”.) This is a measurement that your plastic surgeon will take. The length of this area of your chest is called the “base width diameter” (BWD).

For women, the base width diameter ranges from 9.5 cm to 16.5 cm (3.75 inches to 6.5 inches). As you can see, there is a very wide range.

A smooth breast implant is circular, and has the same measurement as your BWD. So if your BWD is 12 cm, that tells us that your implant cannot be more than 12 cm. It won’t fit. So the BWD determines the max size of the implant, length-wise.

Think about just how wide a range you see in women’s body types, shapes, and frames. That’s why the base width diameter in women can range from 9.5 cm to 16.5 cm.

A smaller implant gets filled up with less volume. It’s common sense. If your BWD is 11 cm, the high profile implant will have 265 cc’s. If your BWD is 14 cm, the high profile implant will have 605 cc’s.

In other words, 265 cc’s and 605 cc’s will have the similar cup size for a difference in BWD. The cc is relative to BWD.

Therefore, to come close to answering your question, a plastic surgeon needs to measure your BWD. Then you should model how that implant will look on your body.

When I opened my private practice, the first thing I did was invest in a $41,000 device called the Vectra 3D. It is a must-have tool for getting patients ideal results.

The Vectra takes a 3D photograph of your torso and breasts. Then, the 3D photo appears on a computer screen. On the screen, we can create accurate simulations of what your breasts will look like with different implant shapes and sizes. This will give you a realistic image of what you’ll look like after breast augmentation surgery.

You can experiment with the different implant options until you find the one you are happy with. Being able to see the results with your own eyes, beforehand, is the best way to communicate your desired look with your doctor. It takes out so much guesswork, especially about breast implant shapes, sizes, and volume (cc).

Now here’s a fact about describing your goals: words can only take us so far. Very often, what a patient thinks, says, and truly wants are all different. You need to SEE what your implant will look like, on your unique body, to confidently say, “This is the perfect implant for me!”

That’s the beauty of the Vectra. It is a visual tool that creates accurate expectations and ensures the best communication. It will cast away your doubts and fears about choosing the right implant.

That’s why the Vectra is a critical investment for any practice. It is so important for giving patients results they know they'll be happy with.

Every patient describes their goals differently, in terms of how many cup sizes they want to go up, or, they have pictures to show.

And, almost every patient tells me, “I don’t want to look fake.” By now, you know that as long as we stay in your measurements, you will have a beautiful, natural result that fits your body.

I hope that answers your question on implant sizes. It’s great that you’re doing this research. I always say that the best patients are informed patients.

You might also want to research your options for breast implants. Choosing the right implant is the number one concern among women considering breast augmentation. Did you know, there’s actually a way to select a implant shape, size, and profile that is perfect for you?

A term that I use with my patients for the perfect implant is the “Pony Implant”.

So what do I mean by “perfect”? Well, a Pony Implant has three qualities to it. First, the implant meets your beauty goals. For example, you want to your breasts to look fuller while still appearing natural.

Second, when you chose your Pony Implant, you walk out of your consultation 100% confident that you’ve chosen the right shape and size for you. In other words, you won’t be second guessing your decision, and you won’t be afraid of having gone too big or too small.

And third, after your procedure, you are thrilled with your results, and say, "I’m so happy. This is exactly what I wanted!"

That’s the Pony Implant. And the great news is that there is a simple process to go about finding yours.

This issue of selecting the right implant is so important when it comes to patient satisfaction or dissatisfaction that, again, I really encourage you to learn more about it.

Thank you for reading and best of luck on your journey!

William Rahal, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Cup Size Does Not Translate into CCs

One of the most important decisions facing breast augmentation patients is the size of the breast implants that will be used. Most patients are striving for harmony, balance, and proportion with the surrounding anatomic structures. Typically, they want a natural look with some fullness in the upper breast area.
Most patients tend to speak in terms of cup size. Unfortunately cup size is not always helpful because manufacturers of bras label their products differently and women don’t always wear their bras the same way. In other words, some women wear them snugly while others wear them loosely. This creates communication problems when talking cup size. It’s virtually impossible to translate cup size into CC’s for this reason.
In an effort to determine breast size in a more objective manner, we utilize external silicone sizers and the Vectra 3D computer imaging system. External silicone sizers are designed to sit on top of the patients breasts. They can be held against the patient’s chest or placed inside the patient’s bra. This technique helps the patient visualize what their breasts will look like with a specific sized implant. It also gives them a sense of the volume that will sit on their chest wall and how it feels.
The 3D Vectra imaging system is a relatively new technology that we’ve found to be extremely helpful for determining breast implant size. This system allows a patient to visualize different sized implants on their actual body. Patients find this to be extremely helpful.
The ability to visualize your projected surgical result alleviates much of the anxiety associated with this procedure. The use of external sizers and the 3D Vectra system accomplish this goal. It’s important to remember that final adjustments in the size of breast implants will ultimately be made in the operating room depending on anatomic factors.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Implant size

I use a technique called dimensional breast augmentation which involves taking in a number of factors and measurements, so each patient is unique. That being said, given your height, weight, and your activity level, along with the fact you are considering a lift, I would say you are probably not that far off in choosing an implant in that range. Best thing to do is to see a qualified plastic surgeon that has good breast expertise.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Will 250-275cc silicone breast implant result in a C cup?

Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance. Given your desires, a breast augmentation, with an implant or fat grafting, would be an ideal procedure that would meet your expectations. Breast augmentation is now the most popular procedure performed in plastic surgery today. One tolerated very well by women with minimal downtime and high patient satisfaction.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, etc). Your height, weight, breast width, and body habitus will make a difference for which implant style/projection to choose. Implant profile will also make a difference on the projection, which will influence overall breast/cup size. I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you of results. Sizers are helpful during an in-office consultation. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width. This is the most important determinant for the sizing of implants, which will provide the optimal result and most aesthetically-pleasing result for you.

Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon well-versed in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various options and factors to consider and help you decide which one will be the right one for you. Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD