How Small Would a 400 Grams Breast Reduction Make Me?

24 years old, 5'8, 150 pounds, 36D+ bra... How much is a 400 gram removal versus 300 grams? My insurance requires 400 grams/breast to cover the procedure (based on body surface area). If I'm a snug 36D, what cup would I be after? Secondly, If I lose 10 pounds, I'd only need 300 grams removed. What size would that be? I don't want to be too small. Ideally I'd like a C cup.

Insurance and Breast Reductions

The insurance industry has made a mess of breast reduction surgery.  Some insurance companies cover it, some do not.  The ones that do, make up their own rules on who qualifies and under what parameters.

Your picture shows D cup size breasts, to take you to a C cup would probably require about a 200 gram reduction.  I would call it a small breast reduction or even a mastopexy procedure.  DO NOT let the insurance company dictate how much breast tissue to remove, if you have a 400 gram reduction, you will be much smaller than you want and now you will be looking at a breast enhancement to correct the problem.

Either pass on the procedure or just pay out of pocket, ask your PS what the cost would be for a cosmetic breast reduction.  You might be surprised at the cost and then you and your PS can pick any size you want!!!!!!

Good Luck,

David R Finkle, MD

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction

Breast Reduction is a complicated procedure that is best done by those with the most training and experience. It is very difficult to determine the resultant cup size and shape based solely on the number of grams that are removed from your breast to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast reduction and lift surgeries, including different approaches, techniques and even fat transfer and implant choices if you are lacking superior breast fullness.
This is because several measurements—not to mention breast characteristics such as density—are needed to determine how much and where to remove breast tissue to meet your goals. Without knowing your existing breast shape, dimensions, and the density of your breast tissue, it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the same volume of breast tissue will weigh different amounts (measured in ounces or grams) in different people depending on its density. The existing base width of your breast and what you will ultimately want to look like will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume and weight that will need to be removed for the best result.

Please click on the link below for more information!

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Removal of 400 Grams

It’s not unusual for insurance carriers to require that minimal amounts of breast tissue be removed during breast reduction. This amount varies from insurance carrier to insurance carrier. In many cases, these weight criteria may be in direct conflict with the patient’s aesthetic goals.

Review of your pictures suggest that it’s probably not possible to remove 400 grams of breast tissue and maintain a full C cup. Removal of 400 grams of tissue is more likely to result in a B cup or small C cup. This of course, depends upon how breast cup size is interpreted by any given patient. Cup size tends to mean different things to different people and is a frequent source of confusion.

When these situations arise, it may be necessary for patients to make compromises between their desired size and insurance payment. It’s highly probable that a 400 gram removal of breast tissue on each side would result in dissatisfaction with breast size. Under these circumstances it may be preferable to perform breast reduction as a cosmetic procedure. 

Formula for calculating cup size with breast reduction

Unfortunately there is no formula to calcuate your resulting cup size. A 400 gm reduction woul dbe equivalent to 2-3 cup sizes whereas a 300 would be closer to a 1-2 cup size reduction. Its only an guestimate. 

Breast reduction-size

I usually say that each 125-150 grams removed decreases the breast size by about one cup size. With time after a reduction, it may actually be a little less. I always try and be as conservative as possible in removing breast tissue so the patient is not too small and unhappy about it later. You can always take a little more off but would need an implant to add some!

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

400 GM reduction of breasts

Based only on the one photos and your dimensions, I imagine that a 400 gm reduction may leave you with very small breasts.

400 grams breast reduction

Thanks for the photo it truly helps answer your question. In my opinion a 400 cc reduction will make you a BIG B or small C cup.

Best of luck from MIAMI Dr. B

Breast Reduction and Resulting Cup Size?

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery. It is one of the most patient pleasing operations we performed.  

Unfortunately, there is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.