Mesotherapy is an injection lipolysis: designed to melt away fat that persists despite exercise and proper diet. Mesotherapy is also marketed as a cellulite treatment.
Mesotherapy involves a drug mixture injected into the body over a number of treatment sessions. These shots are meant to dissolve or melt away body fat as an alternative to invasive surgery like in liposuction surgery. Mesotherapy is also known as meso, "Flab Jab", "Fat Jab", and lipodissolve.
The procedure is not approved by the US FDA. In fact, the FDA has warned consumers about the safety and marketing claims associated with lipodissolve and mesotherapy. The FDA is alerting consumers that
- The FDA has not evaluated or approved products for use in lipodissolve (mesotherapy)
- FDA is not aware of evidence supporting the effectiveness of the substances used in lipodissolve for fat elimination
- The safety of these substances, when used alone or in combination, is unknown
- FDA is not aware of clinical studies to support medical uses of lipodissolve
- In addition, FDA has reports of unexpected side effects in people who’ve undergone the lipodissolve procedure.
Mesotherapy/Lipodissolve side effects include, according to the FDA:
- permanent scarring
- skin deformation
- deep, painful knots under the skin in areas where the treatments were injected
People Who Visited Mesotherapy on RealSelf, Also Like:
Was this guide helpful? Thanks for your feedback