Lower Body Lift Scheduled April 9th 2012 Wichita, KS

Hi everyone :) My name is Monica and I am 43 years...

Hi everyone :) My name is Monica and I am 43 years old.I have 2 grown children and am currently raising one of my grandaughters who is the love of my life. I have been wanting a TT for two years now!! However, my fears are holding me back.

I am a heavy smoker and have been for many years. I have had 4 consultations and I believe I have found the best PS in my area.I have studied and reasearched TT and continue to do so. I have read some very good stories and some horrible stories as well. My PS said I need to quit one month in advance and continue to be smoke freee for at least another month after surgery for healing time. I do not have a problem with that,I am just afraid of the damage I have done to my body and if there will be complications during surgery and after from smoking.

In 2009 I lost a little under 100 pounds on my own. Mainly cut back on foods and stopped drinking pop. My highest weight was 230 pounds. After getting down to 134 I was very worried about the way I looked. My face seemed sunken and I just didn't look healthy. I have managed to gain 22 pounds which puts me at 156 pounds. I look so much better, my face is full and I have regained some of my breasts back, that were simply nothing at 134. Putting on 22 pounds has left my stomach looking full. I hated it before because of all the saggy skin but now it sticks out so bad. I really want a TT with lipo and some lipo done on my thighs as well.

My biggest concern is blood clots and my age worries me some too.I have read on here that so many women just rest and rest. I read somewhere that you should get up and walk every hour to prevent blood clots. What is the best way to prevent blood clots? Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated as I am afraid I will back out again due to my fears.This would be the 3rd time. Thanks :)

And by the way, you all look so great with your new tummys!! I would LOVE to have that as well.

Well, 11 days until my consult. I am still...

Well, 11 days until my consult. I am still smoking, sad to say but am trying to cut down. It's so hard!! I may be having a lower body lift now instead of the original plan of a TT. I have so much loose flabby skin and some fat around areas that I would like to get rid of.. Lipo is definitely looking like something I will be doing as well. My gosh!! For someone being SO scared of a TT now I'm jumping in to somthing bigger!! I bought a black dress and it's so darn cute but too small for me at the moment. I believe that dress is the culprit!!

Hello all :) Time to update!! I am scheduled for a...

Hello all :) Time to update!! I am scheduled for a lower body lift on April 9th 2012 :) Have already put my 10% down and my last appointment will be Friday March 23rd. Next time I see my PS it will be in the OR room... I am like a wet noodle. Nerves are in high gear but I'm so ready to get rid of this extra skin!! I will TRY and post my before pics if I can figure out how to do it, then after surgery I will post some of me in the hospital and then at home :) It has taken me 3 years to get up enough will power to finally do this. I am soooo excited!!

I am considering using Dr.Poggi for a tummy tuck. Did you end up using him? How did everything go?
Hi, I'm 57 and had TT last March after losing 145 lb via watching what I ate and stopped drinking pop - your story sounds familiar - LOL. I don't smoke, but my PS told me if I had, I would NOT have gotten the TT. He said smoking restricts healing to the skin, so best wishes on your strength in not smoking to prepare for the surgery! I was worried about blood clots also, but have come thru just fine. You will also and I wish you the best as you prepare for a new you!
Congratulations on your weight loss! It is such an amazing feeling to be skinny again. Now just to get rid of the saggy stomach. I looked at your pics and you look amazing! I am still smoking, having a hard time giving it up but am a fighter so I know I will do it. Had to move my consult to August 12th. Looking forward to it!! Thank you for your kind words. I will be posting more now and keeping all up to date with my progress.
You can do it! Just keep dangling that goal of the TT in front of you. The rewards are so worth it. You have quite the little sweetie in the post pix with you! Will look forward to your progress & good luck at the consult and we'll all be cheering for you:)
Thanks Cheryl :) I appreciate your kind words. I so badly want this TT and then when I really start thinking about it I just freak out. Hopefully this doc will be able to help me with my fears!! I see that you are going to do a thigh lift as well. Thats awesome as I have fat legs, no loose skin there. I want lipo on my legs and then possibly a thigh lift in the future. I HATE my body. Skinny till you hit my belly and from then on down it all goes south. Disgusted!!
Isn't that the truth, all going south. That, and terribly deflated (as in my breasts). I relate with you on hating the body as is. At least there are experts out there - the plastic surgeons - who are so skilled at what they do. Transformations are incredible. Just make sure you find the right one for you (research!) & prepare for it. There's a lot of help & information on this web site with both before & after procedures, some really great ladies and many before/after pix so you could probably find one with your type of physique or issue. We're definitely all over the board - a diverse group who all speak the same language, the plastic surgery language - LOL. Keep us posted on how you are doing!
Today I scheduled my last consult with a highly sought after PS in Wichita. My appointment is July 6th. I have never had to wait so long just for a consult, but to me this is just another example of how good he must be and I am very excited to meet him. He wants his patients to be 6 weeks smoke free. Sooooo, I will be giving up the habit on Sunday although I will be cutting back each day until then. After this consult I will make a final decision based upon credentials, reviews and talking with former patients. Gosh, I have never in my life done so much research on doctors!!
Hi! I live in Wichita and want to have a TT. I have a couple recommendations, but since you have heard he is the best, could you please tell me who you are going to see on the 6th? Thank you!
Hi Wichita6413,

His name is Dr. Poggi. I had to reschedule my consult so now I go August 12th. Have you consulted with any other plastic surgeons there? And have you made a decision? If you want you can email me personally and we can talk by phone or email.
Hi I am a 43 yr old mom of 6 (4 I borrow) I smoked at least a pack of cigs a day for the past 25 or so years. I quit after my consult (smoked the herbal cigs for 2 days to get me over the hump of withdrawl) I have been smoke free for 5 weeks now and I am post op 3 weeks from a TT with lipo (no muscle tightening)and a Breast reduction/lift. If I can help in any way please let me know.
Congratulations on quitting this awful habit and your TT!! I am amazed at the fact that I have now read of 2 people that were smoke free for 2 weeks only before TT operations. The docs around here will not operate if we are not smoke free for at least 30 days. I looked at your pics and your stomach looks AMAZING!! May I ask why you did not have muscle repair? I have been considering this as well due to the fact that I have bouts with asthma every now and then and I had read that if you do have asthma sometimes they will forgo the muscle tightening due to breathing issues. There was a particular story I had read where a lady could not tell whether she was having an asthma attack or simply could not breathe because her PS tightened her muscles a bit too tight. It was determined that the PS was a bit aggressive in the muscle repair. Your stomach looks beautiful! I am very happy for you!!
Thank you! I had a choice to make between lipo on the fat pockets that I could not exercise and diet off or muscle tightening. The PS really leaned towards the lipo saying that I could do situps for the ab muscles. I am still not sure that I am happy with out the muscle tightening but I also wanted to get rid of the fat and now I'm chomping at the bit to get my thighs done LOL. I did not find it painful at all and would do it again in a heart beat!

Nicotine does not take more then a day to get out of your system so a month is a long time. My PS says between 1000 - 2000 mg of Vit C before and after so that you heal better.
Wow!! Thanks for the info on the Vit C. I will be sure to keep that in mind. Did you have Lipo in the stomach area? I am wanting to have Lipo in my hips, along with the TT. I have read some women think the lipo hurts worse than a TT. Any input on that?
I'm in my 40's and a smoker and I'm 15 days post up. I quit a week before surgery, I did it by tapering off, I only smoked half a cigarette then less. I paid my money and scheduled my surgery date. I looked at my family and desperately cut down and quit because of the fear of blood clots or dying or I don't know. After surgery I knew I didn't want my skin to die from lack of oxygen so I haven't smoked since. It was so easy because the meds kept me relaxed. I've always wanted to be smokefree and I'm sure you always think about being smokefree but just never seem to be able to get there, but I did it! I never thought I could since I have been smoking since high school but I did and I love my new belly. I also got tips from quit smoking sites, but it really boiled down to me finally making that decision and not allowing anyone to make me change it. Good luck! =)
Wow! Only a week before surgery?? The doctors here will not touch me until I have been smoke free for 30 days. Yes, I am just shaking in my shoes to even think of having this surgery. I'm not sure why this is, I wonder if it's because everyone keeps warning me about blood clots, also that this is not a life saving surgery with no choice. I think if I could just FEEL comfortable about this surgery the smoking would not be a hard thing for me. How is your scar healing? Your pics look wonderful!! I am very happy for you and hoping that I will be posting before and after pics as well. Thank you for your words of encouragement, I really appreciate them and NEED them as well.
My scar is healing good, I haven't been a heavy smoker for months now but I was smoking one to a couple a day until the week before surgery, quitting smoking was tough and I am so happy I did! The most important is the first 10 days after surgery but eithr way I'm not going back I'm done with stinky, nasty ciggarrettes...to be honest I never thought I could just quit cold turkey but it was way easier for me to taper off...when I stopped I see how much time and money I really wasted lol =) Good Luck!
Happy to hear your scar is healing good!! I quit last summer for 3 months preparing for my TT and then chickened out and started back up. Was the WORST thing I ever could have done. I remember walking by people who smoked thinking gosh did I stink THAT bad!! Well, I will be quitting cold turkey again on Sunday. Hubby has a 17 day vacation starting Friday, so I figure I can sulk in bed for a few days if needed!!
If you have a board certified plastic surgeon that you feel comfortable with and trust then you will be and will do great. Put the ciggs down now and keep in touch with someone on here or someone you know who has gone through this procedure to talk you down off the wall when you are wanting to back out. Every time you feel like you want to back out, go take a look in the mirror at that saggy tummy and you will be ready to go.

When you want a ciggarette, drink some ice cold water through a straw and go for a walk and take some deep breaths to help you get thru the urge...or come here and look at pics of these women and their beautiful new tummy!

I too was scared of this surgery...don't know why when I had never been afraid of others and had 2 csections and a hyster but I was and honestly this has been nothing! There was no reason at all for my worries or concern. The drains are the biggest pain just because they are annoying and in the way. My swelling has not been too bad either...drink a lot of waater. I was taking bromelain but quit and haven't noticed a difference, I really think it has more to do with the amount of water you drink and sodium you take in.

Take care, stay strong and think positive thoughts! If you need anything just send me a message!!
I have never had any kind of surgery to this extreme. I had a tubal, which was so easy, and I did have my gallbladder removed as well. That's it. That being said this would be my first time for any real long surgery and recovery period. I have 2 plastic surgeons in mind. One is very respected, I have heard rave reviews about him. However, his bedside manner has quickly changed after 3 consults with him. I remember asking him if other women had a hard time with this and he said, "well yes they are nervous to some degree but they just do it". I have too many questions for him I believe. Although my husband thinks he may be the best, with the most knowledge and skill. I have had 4 consults, hubby has been to them all. So far he is still sticking with this certain PS.The other one I REALLY like is about 3 hours away, he has the BEST bedside manners EVER, so very understanding about my fears, never pushy, and the sound of his voice could calm me in a minute. However, when I went to the website they were offering a 10% discount on surgeon fees IF you have the surgery completed before July 1st. This raised a HUGE red flag in my eyes. Seems they are discrediting themselves in a way. Almost like a sale at Walmart.I have never heard of a PS that offers discounts. That to me is scary.Has anyone ever heard of this? So, now I am torn between plastic surgeons. I have been recommended to one more PS, 45 minutes from home in Wichita. He has an awesome website, quite a young doctor but has credentials that go sky high. I will be calling him tomorrow to set one more consult. Then I will decide. If I was smoke free today I would jump at having this surgery I believe anyway. My stomach is sooooo disgusting! Thank you so very much for your kind words, I really appreciate you taking time for me.
I too was very nervous about the surgery and as I said, I've had plenty of surgeries before, so I don't know why. I researched and researched the procedure and then began my consults with PS's. I had 6 scheduled, 3 of them with highly reputable, and recommended surgeons. I also had to wait almost one month to get in for the consults for my last 3 so I had plenty of time in between my first two to research more. First two consults down, I knew i wouldn't be using them...one was not board certified and one didn't do any lipo. 3rd consult was a male doc who came highly recommended and I found him very condescending and dismissive. I mean he dismissed my concerns and when I asked to tell me about the procedure he began by saying "well we start you out in the prone position", I didn't want nor was I asking for a step by step, so needless to say, I was very put off by him and waited almost two weeks for my next appointment. My next appointment was with the highest recommended ps around and my nerves were shot when I went to see her that day. It was as if, I had never been to a consult and knew nothing about the procedure. I left there and told myself that something was wrong there; there was no reason I should be feeling like that. The very next morning I had my 5th consult with Dr. Kim and I immediately knew I had found the "one"! There were no nerves, we were talking and laughing and I had actually been in touch with two women on this forum that had told me to definitely give Dr. Kim a try because she was more interested in taking care of her patients than promoting her practice as some of the other docs I had seen. Needless to say, I scheduled my surgery that day and two weeks later I was on the road to recovery. This has been the absolute best thing I have ever done and I'm just sorry that I didn't do it years ago!! I am 25 days post op today and did my first jog on the treadmill and worked out my arms with weights and I feel fantastic.

This is why I say, find the right doctor and all your fears will be put to rest! When you have found the right one, you will know also..you will feel it and you know we women need to go with our gut and trust our instincts more! As for the discounts, many doctors offer mommy makeover specials, breast augmentation specials and I had two of them discount their fees on their quotes, so it is not unheard of and Dr. Kim discounted for cash payment also. They discount the 3% that they would have to pay to the credit card company but any little bit helps. Don't be so concerned over the "specials" that they run as long as the prices are in line with all the other docs. Check out their credentials, talk to others that have used them and had your procedure, find out how many of this procedure they perform in a week, month, etc. and then make your decision.

You really need to be sure you want to do it before you put down any $ so you don't lose your deposit if you change your mind. This forum is great and the internet with all it's info is great also, but it can also cause you to go into information overload. Good luck to you, ultimately you have to decide what is the right choice for you and if you are not ready then wait until you are!
Well, I can not seem to get the PS out of my mind that is offering the discount. I am however going to go to this consult in Wichita on the 6th of July. And yes I know, I have already lost one deposit due to me chickening out.Rest assured I will not make that mistake again. How awesome it is that you are already on the treadmill!! I am truly happy for you!! You really look great :) I will tell you one thing, I already have too much information overload, which is why I have been so afraid to do this surgery...
If I were you, I would get off the boards, go on with my life, talk to people that may recommend other ps to you and go to the consults and then see if you find the right "one". It is you that must be comfortable with your ps because you will be spending time with your ps thru your surgery, and recovery so it is also important you are comfortable with the office staff and nurse also. If you are not feeling it with the ps then your nerves are going to get the best of you and you will back out! Feel free to email me if you want at any time. My name is Libby btw! Good luck. BTW, your hubs is a good man to go with you to all of the consults and deal with your nerves. Mine would have killed me!
I am 45 years old and used to be a smoker. I quit 5 months ago, before I considered having a tummy tuck. I quit after smoking for 20 plus years. I took up running and was sick of not being able to run the distance or speed I wanted because I couldn't breathe! You must quit smoking and all nicotine products...gum, patches, etc so you will heal without any complications. To prevent blood clots you just need to get up and walk a little each hour. Go to the restroom and get something to drink and you will be good. The pain from this is not bad and you will be able to get up and will want to because you will be bored of sitting! Throw the ciggs away and go for the new body. Swear off the smoking for good and use the $$ you save for cute clothes! Good luck to you!
Thank you so much for your encouraging words! I rarely read anyone having a TT that smoke as I do. I agree with you that throwing this nasty habit away for good would be the best thing I could ever do for myself. I stopped smoking last summer for three months for my TT procedure and worked myself into a tailspin over worry. So, sad to say I did back out of the TT and took up smoking again. Tried to quit later and it seemed impossible.My mother having smoked for many, many years told me the second time would be the hardest. She has now been smoke free for 5 years. I will say however, my mother had a breast reduction 12 years ago, smoked like a freight train and come out of surgery with flying colors and perfectly healing breasts.She even lit one up the moment she was released from the hospital. They look so good now compared to mine. She had an angel watching over her as I would never consider smoking while going through any operation. Still have the date for July..I pary I don't back out again.