40 Year Old with 18 Year Old Submuscular Implants (7/23/2014 Explant) Weston, FL

Hello ladies, It has been a few months since I...

Hello ladies, It has been a few months since I found realself thru a search engine on breast implant removal. First I would like to thank all of you for sharing your experiences, you all have helped me soooo much. I am hoping by sharing my experience maybe I can help someone too . It was 1997 I was a 34A and, when I got my BA 34C "not sure off cc's sorry" with mentor smooth saline implants, submuscular, with areola incisions, by Dr.Peter Somers, MD. I was always very pleased even more so after having my first child. I never really experienced any serious problems ,occasionally I did experience soreness and hardening in both breasts, but honestly I thought it just had something to do with my hormones. I went into menopause extremely early so I am assuming this had alot to do with my issues. All in all seeing it has been almost 18 years I think I have been more than lucky! My search to explanting was due to a strange pain in my right breast over the last few months that has come and gone and not to mention its desire to move where-ever it wants as you will see in the frontal pic., which of course sent me online to see if there are any issues that may be arising.
I have been through 3 consultations and have chosen Dr. Rothfield in Weston Florida, he and his staff have been awesome and very accommodating and my surgery is set for 7/23. I have to thank and send a hug to " Ileana47 " I read and saw her results and made my last consultation with Dr.Rothfield and very glad I made that third consultation.
So glad I found Realself and all of you here.... such amazing strong women!!

I'm me again!

Well I'm me again, had the surgery at about 11:30, Dr.Rothfield was awesome and the Surgery Center was so professional and accommodating they let hubby sit with me till anesthesia kicked in, and when I woke hubby was walking in! It was awesome to have him there, I was pretty nervous but everything went very smoothly. I will post more pics, and give some more detail as to the procedure at the surgery center when I get back home tomorrow and yep I tried to peak :) alot of gauze and tape for now looks pretty flat on the top but very little pain and no pain meds needed as of yet. I am so freakin happy right now, I even had hubby take me straight to Flannigans for a huge chicken ceaser salad to celebrate. Thank you ladies for all of your support "huge hugs to all of you"

Very Happy!

Hi ladies, I'm 4 days post-op and very happy! I took a peek a boo photo to share. I have not experienced any pain really, just a little discomfort at night and honestly that's only because I hate sleeping on my back and I haven't taken any pain meds, I'm just stubborn like that. As you can see in the photo the right side is very sad, I had a feeling that would be the case considering where the implant ended up after 18 years before it was removed. We did leave the capsules in, and the stitches will be removed on the 2nd. Of August. Thank you ladies for all of your support and sharing your progress even after the removal it has helped me thru this so much, so I will continue to post as I heal. Ill be back at work tomorrow so we shall see how that goes :)
Weston Plastic Surgeon

You look wonderful!! And it looks like you have a nice amount of breast tissue for future "fluffing" :) I will be absolutely thrilled if I look like you on day 4!!! Happy healing!
Thank you so much DDDnomo :) I cannot wait till your big day!!! Tomorrow is your pre-op appt. and I know you have the butterflies but after that pre-op time is going to fly by for you. "hugs"
Thank you so much!!! You are so right, the butterflies are definitely fluttering up a storm! :D How are you feelling? Hope you are taking care of yourself and enjoying your new "old" look!
I'm sorry I didn't get back sooner! My implants are over the muscle and I have constant pain and have for several years. I'm just so nervous about the surgery! Your post are what's keeping me from canceling....thank you! If mine turn out as well as yours...I'm will be blessed! Your beautiful!
Thank you so much Kathy, how old are your implants? Listen I understand 100%, I was a wreck about the general anesthesia, but waking up and experiencing the freedom of not having that weight on my chest anymore "WOW" I wish I knew back then what I know now, I would have had those nasty implants moved a looong time ago, geesh I probably would have never even went thru with the augmentation. This site is amazing, the perfect way for each of us to share our stories with eachother, had it not been for everyone here I would have been a real wreck I'm sure!
I will post my 6 month pics up tonight.
Oh wow!!!!! They look great! Mine fluffed out. It takes a few weeks but the indent will come out. You look amazing.
:) Ileana thank you, Its so funny I keep looking down during the wonderful sponge baths thinking "Wow" I am so good with this. I thought maybe I would suddenly be like alittle sad or upset but I'm really so wonderfully happy with me, I need to go see your update!!
Hi, great site! I want - after 5 years - an explant to (I'm from Belgium). My only question is : do I have to remove the capsul or leave it in? I see that most people leave it there but I have been reading that it can still contain silicon inside and cause health problems + I have pain in my breasts almost all the time (I can't find the words in English). Thank you so much for your opinion because the surgery will take place in august or september (I have not set a date yet). Ilse (NB: 300 cc under the musscle)
Hello Ilsemaes, because I had smooth saline implants I chose to leave the capsules in, had my implants been silicone implants and the fact that my implants were 18 years old I would have had the implants and the capsules removed. Im sorry to hear your are having pain in your right breast. Have you had the opportunity to have a consultation with a doctor yet?
yes, I had a consult with an other PC and he said everything looks and feels fine and the capsul don't have to be removed (implants under the musscle and the capsul can almost not be removed because it sticks to the ribs). I will have an other consult, now with the PC that has done my surgery 5 years ago. I am just scared that when the implants will be gone, the pain will still be there because it is caused by the capsul (not by the implants)!!!! Is there a PC that can help me with this question? thanks ! Ilse (Belgium)
I have gone to Dr. Remus Repta, and he will remove the capsule as well, and when I asked him if he has to cut the capsule off of the ribs, he said no) I did not do an MRI or a mamogram, so I am not sure how he knows this, but I could ask for you . YES, I would get other opinions as well. If you do, be sure to post your answers.
also I have saline as well. *sorry*
I called my PC again and now he changed the price !!! so I am busy with contacting other PC's. They say now it is up to me if I remove the capsul (only a part is possible) : no removal is local anesthetic and total removal is complete anesthetic. I think I will chose to leave them in...I hope I don't regret it...if you have a consult with your PC, it would be kind to ask him... thanks :) Ilse
Sorry for the delay Ilsemaes, there is a question and answer section at the top of the page click that link and then click the "ask a doctor" and there is where you can ask a doctor a question and I've seen that several doctors will happily answer questions, I wish I could be more help and I hope you are able to get some answers fast and be on your way to relief "Huge hugs" I know this is so frustrating for you right now but I am sure that one of the doctors on this site will be able to point you in the right direction.
Congrats!!!!! You've made it to the other side! I have not regretted my decision or results for a second.
:) so happy to hear no regrets! Your posts and results are always a breath of fresh air. Thank you
Hello , we have not had any updates from you in a while and would love to know how you are doing , how did they come out! Looking forward to hearing from you!
Hi LauraCroft, thank you I'm doing awesome! Just getting used to the changes :)
In Louisiana the cost is between 8-10,000 dollars, my BCBS of Louisiana has an exclusion and will not cover the implant removal at all. This is so depressing, I have had the implants since 1989 after having my third daughter, and breasts were so saggy. I have regretted ever since. I am so happy for you. Can you approximate what the total cost was so that I can make a decision? Thanks so much.
Hi saronxon, I'm sorry I know its such a rollercoaster ride! My bcbs would not cover either because it was not medically necessary to remove them. I had the implants removed only, no lift, and the capsules were left in as well. My total cost with travel costs I live under 3 hours away so (gas, hotel) doc, and surgery center was $2600. We stayed at the Marriott Courtyard which was right across the street, made it nice after surgery, there is a Publix, CVS, and lots of restaurants close by as well. And if I am not mistaken the Ft. Lauderdale airport is 20 minutes away. Hope this helps if I can help with anything else don't hesitate to let me know.
Thank you so much, I didnt realize it would be so expensive .
Yay you! So glad to hear it went well and that you are feeling good. Keep us updated when you can and take care and happy healing!
Thank you DDDnomo, now I can tell you Yes! Best decision I ever made :) I am so excited for you. Those last 24 hours before the surgery were soooo nerve wracking my mind was saying maybe this isn't the right choice maybe I should keep them for just alittle while longer, but then I thought well I'm just prolonging the inevitable and did some hard soul searching and I was scared to share on here just how nervous I really was,"I am a horrible poster" but I kept as busy as possible and now being on the other side and not even getting a really good look at what my girls look like "I am so happy" " Hugs" thank you for helping me thru all of this, you have given me so much support through sharing your journey and posts and if I can be of any help I am here for you if you need me. :)
Aw, thanks so much for your encouragement, your posts and comments and others like you have really given me to the courage to do this. And you are absolutely right, if I chicken out, it IS just prolonging the inevitable. I am doing the same thing you did, keeping super busy and focusing on the reasons I am explanting AND counting the days!! I love to hear how happy you are with your decision and hope you continue to be happy and healthy!!