40 Year Old with 18 Year Old Submuscular Implants (7/23/2014 Explant) Weston, FL

Hello ladies, It has been a few months since I...

Hello ladies, It has been a few months since I found realself thru a search engine on breast implant removal. First I would like to thank all of you for sharing your experiences, you all have helped me soooo much. I am hoping by sharing my experience maybe I can help someone too . It was 1997 I was a 34A and, when I got my BA 34C "not sure off cc's sorry" with mentor smooth saline implants, submuscular, with areola incisions, by Dr.Peter Somers, MD. I was always very pleased even more so after having my first child. I never really experienced any serious problems ,occasionally I did experience soreness and hardening in both breasts, but honestly I thought it just had something to do with my hormones. I went into menopause extremely early so I am assuming this had alot to do with my issues. All in all seeing it has been almost 18 years I think I have been more than lucky! My search to explanting was due to a strange pain in my right breast over the last few months that has come and gone and not to mention its desire to move where-ever it wants as you will see in the frontal pic., which of course sent me online to see if there are any issues that may be arising.
I have been through 3 consultations and have chosen Dr. Rothfield in Weston Florida, he and his staff have been awesome and very accommodating and my surgery is set for 7/23. I have to thank and send a hug to " Ileana47 " I read and saw her results and made my last consultation with Dr.Rothfield and very glad I made that third consultation.
So glad I found Realself and all of you here.... such amazing strong women!!

I'm me again!

Well I'm me again, had the surgery at about 11:30, Dr.Rothfield was awesome and the Surgery Center was so professional and accommodating they let hubby sit with me till anesthesia kicked in, and when I woke hubby was walking in! It was awesome to have him there, I was pretty nervous but everything went very smoothly. I will post more pics, and give some more detail as to the procedure at the surgery center when I get back home tomorrow and yep I tried to peak :) alot of gauze and tape for now looks pretty flat on the top but very little pain and no pain meds needed as of yet. I am so freakin happy right now, I even had hubby take me straight to Flannigans for a huge chicken ceaser salad to celebrate. Thank you ladies for all of your support "huge hugs to all of you"
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Hi, great site! I want - after 5 years - an explant to (I'm from Belgium). My only question is : do I have to remove the capsul or leave it in? I see that most people leave it there but I have been reading that it can still contain silicon inside and cause health problems + I have pain in my breasts almost all the time (I can't find the words in English). Thank you so much for your opinion because the surgery will take place in august or september (I have not set a date yet). Ilse (NB: 300 cc under the musscle)
Congrats!!!!! You've made it to the other side! I have not regretted my decision or results for a second.
Hello , we have not had any updates from you in a while and would love to know how you are doing , how did they come out! Looking forward to hearing from you!
In Louisiana the cost is between 8-10,000 dollars, my BCBS of Louisiana has an exclusion and will not cover the implant removal at all. This is so depressing, I have had the implants since 1989 after having my third daughter, and breasts were so saggy. I have regretted ever since. I am so happy for you. Can you approximate what the total cost was so that I can make a decision? Thanks so much.
Hi saronxon, I'm sorry I know its such a rollercoaster ride! My bcbs would not cover either because it was not medically necessary to remove them. I had the implants removed only, no lift, and the capsules were left in as well. My total cost with travel costs I live under 3 hours away so (gas, hotel) doc, and surgery center was $2600. We stayed at the Marriott Courtyard which was right across the street, made it nice after surgery, there is a Publix, CVS, and lots of restaurants close by as well. And if I am not mistaken the Ft. Lauderdale airport is 20 minutes away. Hope this helps if I can help with anything else don't hesitate to let me know.
Thank you so much, I didnt realize it would be so expensive .
Yay you! So glad to hear it went well and that you are feeling good. Keep us updated when you can and take care and happy healing!
Thank you DDDnomo, now I can tell you Yes! Best decision I ever made :) I am so excited for you. Those last 24 hours before the surgery were soooo nerve wracking my mind was saying maybe this isn't the right choice maybe I should keep them for just alittle while longer, but then I thought well I'm just prolonging the inevitable and did some hard soul searching and I was scared to share on here just how nervous I really was,"I am a horrible poster" but I kept as busy as possible and now being on the other side and not even getting a really good look at what my girls look like "I am so happy" " Hugs" thank you for helping me thru all of this, you have given me so much support through sharing your journey and posts and if I can be of any help I am here for you if you need me. :)
Aw, thanks so much for your encouragement, your posts and comments and others like you have really given me to the courage to do this. And you are absolutely right, if I chicken out, it IS just prolonging the inevitable. I am doing the same thing you did, keeping super busy and focusing on the reasons I am explanting AND counting the days!! I love to hear how happy you are with your decision and hope you continue to be happy and healthy!!
Please help me!
I'm so nervous! Explanation Aug 14
Hi Kathy, congrats on setting a date! I was really nervous too. If I can help you in any way, I am here for you :) Are your implants over or under the muscle? When did you get your implants? I had to keep as busy as possible not to lose my mind and chicken out, but now that I'm on the other side I can say with 100% certainty the right call on my part and that is me telling you at 3:30 am, 16 hours after surgery. I can't go back to sleep I am too excited to see Doc in a couple of hours and maybe get a good look at my natural me :)
I hope everything goes smoothly for you! Congratulations on your decision!
Thank you so much, so looking forward to it!!
Thank you for starting your story on RealSelf! Will you be getting a lift as well, or just a straight explant?
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to share our stories, it has truly helped me so much! I will be straight explanting, no lift and I have opted to leave the capsule in. :)
Isn't this site wonderful? So glad I found it too! Wishing you the best of luck, let us know how it goes!
Yes indeed such a wonderful site and wonderful people :) Thank you and I must wish you the best of luck as well your date is set right after mine! Without this site and everyone sharing their personal stories I would probably still be sitting here thinking to myself "what are you going to do?" I am so nervous, but so excited at the same time!!
Good luck and welcome to the page!
Thank you very much, Good luck to you as well!