40 Year Old with 18 Year Old Submuscular Implants (7/23/2014 Explant) Weston, FL

Hello ladies, It has been a few months since I...

Hello ladies, It has been a few months since I found realself thru a search engine on breast implant removal. First I would like to thank all of you for sharing your experiences, you all have helped me soooo much. I am hoping by sharing my experience maybe I can help someone too . It was 1997 I was a 34A and, when I got my BA 34C "not sure off cc's sorry" with mentor smooth saline implants, submuscular, with areola incisions, by Dr.Peter Somers, MD. I was always very pleased even more so after having my first child. I never really experienced any serious problems ,occasionally I did experience soreness and hardening in both breasts, but honestly I thought it just had something to do with my hormones. I went into menopause extremely early so I am assuming this had alot to do with my issues. All in all seeing it has been almost 18 years I think I have been more than lucky! My search to explanting was due to a strange pain in my right breast over the last few months that has come and gone and not to mention its desire to move where-ever it wants as you will see in the frontal pic., which of course sent me online to see if there are any issues that may be arising.
I have been through 3 consultations and have chosen Dr. Rothfield in Weston Florida, he and his staff have been awesome and very accommodating and my surgery is set for 7/23. I have to thank and send a hug to " Ileana47 " I read and saw her results and made my last consultation with Dr.Rothfield and very glad I made that third consultation.
So glad I found Realself and all of you here.... such amazing strong women!!

I hope everything goes smoothly for you! Congratulations on your decision!
Thank you so much, so looking forward to it!!
Thank you for starting your story on RealSelf! Will you be getting a lift as well, or just a straight explant?

I'm me again!

Well I'm me again, had the surgery at about 11:30, Dr.Rothfield was awesome and the Surgery Center was so professional and accommodating they let hubby sit with me till anesthesia kicked in, and when I woke hubby was walking in! It was awesome to have him there, I was pretty nervous but everything went very smoothly. I will post more pics, and give some more detail as to the procedure at the surgery center when I get back home tomorrow and yep I tried to peak :) alot of gauze and tape for now looks pretty flat on the top but very little pain and no pain meds needed as of yet. I am so freakin happy right now, I even had hubby take me straight to Flannigans for a huge chicken ceaser salad to celebrate. Thank you ladies for all of your support "huge hugs to all of you"

Hi, great site! I want - after 5 years - an explant to (I'm from Belgium). My only question is : do I have to remove the capsul or leave it in? I see that most people leave it there but I have been reading that it can still contain silicon inside and cause health problems + I have pain in my breasts almost all the time (I can't find the words in English). Thank you so much for your opinion because the surgery will take place in august or september (I have not set a date yet). Ilse (NB: 300 cc under the musscle)
Hello Ilsemaes, because I had smooth saline implants I chose to leave the capsules in, had my implants been silicone implants and the fact that my implants were 18 years old I would have had the implants and the capsules removed. Im sorry to hear your are having pain in your right breast. Have you had the opportunity to have a consultation with a doctor yet?
Congrats!!!!! You've made it to the other side! I have not regretted my decision or results for a second.

Very Happy!

Hi ladies, I'm 4 days post-op and very happy! I took a peek a boo photo to share. I have not experienced any pain really, just a little discomfort at night and honestly that's only because I hate sleeping on my back and I haven't taken any pain meds, I'm just stubborn like that. As you can see in the photo the right side is very sad, I had a feeling that would be the case considering where the implant ended up after 18 years before it was removed. We did leave the capsules in, and the stitches will be removed on the 2nd. Of August. Thank you ladies for all of your support and sharing your progress even after the removal it has helped me thru this so much, so I will continue to post as I heal. Ill be back at work tomorrow so we shall see how that goes :)

Thank you for sharing your story - you look great! You are so lucky to have experienced such minimal discomfort - I look forward to your updates. I too have had my implants in for a long time (19 years) and cannot wait to have them out (9/15). You were smart to remove them at 40 - it took me until 50 to get wise about it.
You look wonderful!! And it looks like you have a nice amount of breast tissue for future "fluffing" :) I will be absolutely thrilled if I look like you on day 4!!! Happy healing!
Weston Plastic Surgeon