Bi-Lateral Mastectomy with Immediate Reconstruction, Nipple Reconstruction - Westchester, NY

I was previously a patient of Dr. Salzberg when I...

I was previously a patient of Dr. Salzberg when I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma breast cancer. I went into surgery absolutely calm knowing that I was in the best hands possible. I had a double mastectomy and immediate reconstruction with follow up nipple reconstruction on one side.

I am happy to say I am healthy today, but also have beautiful breasts ! I trust Dr. Salzberg implicitly. He is knowledgeable (a pioneer in immediate reconstruction), skilled, experienced, and understanding. His staff (Courtney Dunavant, Tammi, Beth,etc.) are amazing. I have gone back many times to Courtney for Sculptra and other cosmetic procedures. She is an artist as well as being an incredible clinician. If you are considering going to Dr. Salzberg, or his staff, you can stop researching now....You have found the best.
This form won't post without a cost included...Insurance covered my procedures.

Westchester Plastic Surgeon

If I could give Dr. Salzberg and his staff more than 5 stars, I would.

I couldn't agree more. Strangers helped guide me when I was going through my double-mastectomy (I did choose Dr. Salzberg/Ashikari and they were WONDERFUL!!). I am here to answer questions or talk to anyone who would is going through this awful experience #payingitfoward
Thank you so very much for your sweet compliment. I think it is important that we share our stories, it helps our 'sisters' get through this time in their lives. best wishes.....
Thank you for sharing your story, you are such a strong and beautiful women.
Do you have implants in and did he do both breasts?
Yes, I have implants on both sides. Dr. Salzberg did both. On one side they had to remove my nipple (because the cancer was in the milk duct), and on the other I kept my nipple. It was a 'skin sparing' surgery, I did not have expanders, and much to my children's delight, got to keep the freckle on my breast that they were fond of.. :) I was a 34D before and after surgery. Hope this was helpful...
Thank you so much for this information - you look beautiful! I am also consulting with Dr. Salzberg and was wondering if I might be able to contact you about what I can expect?
I'm so excited for everything, I'm so thankful for all your support, I hope cancer will never touch us again, that's my prayer all the time now. Is it just me but every time I watch tv and I hear a cancer story is it natural to be Geary eyed or even cry, I feel silly for feeling that.
Took me almost two years to really feel and realize what I went through. Maybe because I had just lost my mom right before I was diagnosed or because I had to be strong for my kids. Sometimes, even now, I cry out of the blue, but, I am fine.. healthy and happy to be here enjoying my children and life. I know not all of us are that lucky. I am glad you are doing better. I am so glad you reached out to me when you need to.... my love to you.... and my very best wishes for a happy and healthy life. xo
Yes! Life is going back to normal now, I can't believe that those few days truly were the hardest. I'm recovering well, today I'm back to work, this Friday will be my ps appointment to get more saline in my expander. Brighter days are ahead, being here made me realize that I can't complain because I'm not fighting for my life like some women do, thank you so much for the support. Those drains were out at 15 days! Whew! That was long.
I am not really sure... I was a 34D going into surgery and am a 34D now. He said he was putting in "the big ones".. hahaha. I guess being a little smaller would be nice, but I have what I had. The thing I remember was that I was interested in the teardrop shape ones, and my PS said he won't use them, that they can flip around inside necessitating more surgery.
I would like to ask what type of implants you have and what size they are? I too am in the process of having reconstructive surgery. They will put my implants in sometime in March. Your's do look great I must say I just hope that I have the same success with mine. Thank You so much for sharing..
Not a breast to go into the cup? I don't understand... That doesn't sound right. Maybe you should call Dr. Salzberg's office. Send them a photo or two.
will the expander by the way be comfortable once the drains are out?
Yes the expanders are comfortable when the drains come out. I too hated the drains. They were the worst part for me. Some people say the expanders hurt when they expand them but mine never have. They do feel tight but that goes away within a couple of days. It will also help if you try massaging them some to help loosen them up. It is really over whelming at first but just hang in there it will get better. Sometimes it seems like this will never end but there is light at the end of the tunnel. There are still days that I cry but then I have to stop and think I am cancer free and I have my whole life ahead of me. Thing could be so much worse. I didn't have to have chemo or radiation and for that I am thankful. There are brighter days ahead I promise you. Just hang in there and keep a positive attitude....
Thank you so much, I'm so weepy right now, every morning I wake up and I cry, I pray while doing so to manage my emotion, it does help. Do I have to take valium before I go to the PS? I hate taking pain medication, right now I'm just antibiotics. Yes, I'm trying to massage the expander right now, a little bit just to get some comfort with it. I hate the drains, they make me cry, the fluids never stop coming out and I'm on my 10th day, I'm sure they are not taking it out this afternoon because it's still 70cc for 24 hours. Hopefully on Friday.
I had my drains for 17 days and trust me you don't want them to take them out too early. I had one that came out in 7 days because I pulled it loose. That wasn't good because fluid kept building up in there and it caused me to have an infection. You really don't want that to happen. The infection caused me to have to have my expander remove right on the right side. So just be patient and let that drain do its job it will all be worth it in the long run. I go to a counselor and that may be something you may want to consider doing. I was just so depressed from all of this. I know it is hard for you with you just having a baby and thin breast cancer as well. Maybe you should ask your OBGYN to recommend someone. Get you a fanny pack and put that drain in it. I didn't take the Valium at all I was afraid I would get hooked on them. If you need to talk I could give you my number....let me know..
Okay, thanks for letting me know about the drain. Yes, I will be more patient than ever then, hopefully mine will be less than 17 days and thank you for letting me know the effect if i do so, now I won't be stubborn about it. Yeah, my PS told me, if it doesn't go down to 25cc for 24 hours, cancel the appointment, so hopefully on Friday. Okay, at least I know that I'll be okay not taking the valium. I hate those things, I too am scared that I might get addicted, I hate the feeling of the wooziness about it.
I didn't have expanders. I kept all my skin, and one nipple, and had implants put in at the time of the mastectomies. I did go back for corrective follow-up surgery (I needed a larger implant on one side and nipple reconstruction).
I wish you all the best. You will soon be past this worst part of the recovery and getting on with the rest of life. Enjoy that baby !!
Thank you so much for posting and for keeping my spirit up. I broke down today and finally talked to the social worker at the hospital and they told me that yes, what I'm feeling is the mourning part right now. Okay, if this is the worst part then I'm good then, I'm almost there. Thank you so much again for the patience talking to me, I feel so much better, all the information helped, i was so overwhelm the last few days until I read your article and I saw your pic and I was just so encourage that everything will be back to normal. I promise to live well and to pay forward just as you are doing right now. thank you again.
you help a life today, just so you know. Thank you for being a great survivor and telling your tale.
They say you should be careful to not get breathless when you exercise. Sounds like you have a good exercise regimen. Ah the food...don't get me started. The simplest advice (really watered down) is, organic as much as possible but definitely all dairy, eggs, and animal protein. (This is important for your baby too). Lots of colorful veggies, avoid soy. AND live your life !!!
Thank you much for letting me know that this is normal, I'm 8 days past the surgery now, and yes, I guess my personality just shows that I am quite an impatient person. No, not depressed yet, just weepy, I'm crying right now talking to you about this, this place is so nurturing, thank you so much. My sex drive is well, and my appetite is great. just very weepy. Yes, the drains really does make you feel sad. I'm just taking antibiotics now, no pain killers. By the way, my question, will I feel anything with my breast now the breast surgery? or they will just look great and beautiful but no feelings anymore? I wonder about that.
Tiffany, the drains are horrible, blech, we all know it. You will feel better once they are gone (I had four of them). My breast was comletely numb for a long time. I could put ice cold moisturizer on and not feel it...eventually some feeling started to come back, not all. Some women had very sensitive breasts and nipples before surgery and it is more upsetting to them to lose sensation, other women not so much. We all have to keep our eye on the prize - long, happy, and healthy lives.
Thank you so much for posting a picture, I had a single mastectomy last week and yes, I'm in the very of being sad already, thanks for showing to me that the nipple reconstruction looks great. I love your new breast and thank you for the nice encouragment. I'm 36, diagnose with spindle cell neoplasm, not an aggressive cancer but if I opted for a mastectomy, it will never come back again. There were no nodes that were removed because the lump is in the muscles.