Fraxel Mutilated My Face! - Westborough, MA

I wanted to clear up some acne scarring so I went...

I wanted to clear up some acne scarring so I went to a cosmetic surgeon to explore my options. Of course, the doctor recommended an $1800 Fraxel Dual Restore treatment over a less expensive, milder procedure. So I trusted his judgement and went with it (Even though, now looking back, I could have just used the Obagi Nu Derm system and it would have eliminated just about all of the very superficial scarring). The day of the procedure, the plastic surgeon was no where to be found. His nurse performed the procedure telling me that she was going to crank up the level on the laser so that I would get "the best bang for my buck." Recovery took over a week. I had burns on my cheeks. Immediately after the swelling had gone down, I noticed a significant loss of fat under my eyes. I communicated my concerns with the RN during the follow up and she told me that it was impossible that the laser caused that. Literally, a week later. This April 27, 2014 will be two years since I've had the Fraxel Dual Restore treatment, and my face has just melted away. I now have a very significant tear trough deformity, hanging jowels and the structure of my face has changed so much due to the overall volume loss. This procedure has changed my life. My biggest regret! DO NOT GET FRAXEL! And do not go to the Aesthetic Wellness Center in Westborough, MA! You will regret it as well!
I am so sorry you had a bad experience and this terrible loss of volumn and I can see that it is so important to have the right doctor as I just went to a lecture and saw the most dramatic before and after results particularly with c02 laser by feathertouch or silktouch ($4000 for entire face and neck) but also saw good results with what she called Active FX (fraxel that hits every other molecule) which has less downtime but less tightening. However, I'm very concerned with the loss of volumn you experienced and have you heard why that happened? Did it melt the fat in your face and is that something that is a normal side effect or is it because of the RN's inexperience? Have you gotten any advice about what happened and if some type of filler could help you from a qualified dermatologist? My understanding was that these treatments stimulate collegen so the expectation would be that volumn would be restored!
Oh gosh, I am terribly sorry that you had such a horrible experience with the Fraxel treatment. Thank you so much for writing to share with the community, it really does help others thinking about the treatment. I can imagine this has been extremely difficult for you, have you looked into any treatment that can restore your skin? What kind of acne scarring did you have, ie: rolling, ice pick, boxcar?
The Aesthetic Wellness Center